Can't wait for mat leave! Rant..

kariss

Reaction score
I'm only 22+ weeks and I know I've got a long way to go yet but I can't wait for my mat leave!
I'm a nurse and work full time which is 12/13hour shifts 3 or 4 a week including days and nights..

I'm tired all the time still and being on my feet all day makes me ache even more! I'm also really annoyed at my shift patterns..3 weeks in a row of 4 shifts, 4 nights in a row at 25w, 28w and 33w - which I think is just unfair.

I really wanted to go as long as poss (work untill 4th Jan, 2 weeks annual leave then start mat leave, baby due 4th Feb) but honestly with these shifts I'm not sure I want to! Plus I'm on Xmas eve and Xmas day long days 7.30-2030 :cry:

I also feel like it's an effort to try swap shifts for example my midwife only works Tuesdays..I need my appointments but have been given 8weeks in a row working tues...

Anyway I just can't wait to go on mat leave so live in my own little bubble and just enjoy waiting for my baby :thumbup:

I don't blame you that sounds hard. Especially being a nurse. I have many nurses in my family and I don't know how they do it even when they aren't pregnant. Is there anything they can do with your schedule? Maybe bring it down to 2 or 3 days and spread them out a little? I hope things get better for you. It's crazy how much being pregnant can take out of you. It takes a lot more energy to do things sometimes.

Thanks, I have considered it but I think reducing my hours will effect my maternity pay..which I can't really afford to do.
I'm going to talk to someone about the 4 nights etc..I don't know if I'm being a drama queen but seriously 4 12 hour nights in a row at 33/34weeks is a joke?!
:haha:

You should not have to do nights that far along. I am a Dr and I went to occy health to get taken off nights at 28 weeks as I just was not coping with them. They just gave me more day oncalls instead. I'd go see occy health if I was you. Let us know how you get along. X

I second Hopespring - I was also told no Nights after 28 weeks and Occy Health also told me no more Long Days either because I was struggling at that point too. Yes it might mean you're there more days, but the shifts will be shorter and more manageable and your management have to honour it if Occy Health recommends it, so you will have some back-up. Make an appointment!

Sorry you are being given such crappy shifts. You'd think they'd have some consideration for the fact that you're pregnant. I second what the others have said - maybe you can get a note from your doctor?

I can't wait for mat leave either. Luckily my job isn't physically taxing and I work normal 9-5 hours but it's my commute that kills me - pretty much 3 hours roundtrip daily. Blech.

And here's my rant, I hate sitting next to men on the bus!! Doesn't matter their physical stature, they act like they are incapable of occupying just their own seat and insist on spilling over into mine. Well guess what, when I am forced to sit compressed and twisted the whole way to work at nearly 27 weeks pregnant I get freaking sore, regardless of the fact that I'm petite. I paid for my seat too and don't see why I should have to share it because the guy next to me insists on typing on a massive laptop the entire way or spreading his legs a mile wide.

Here's hoping mat leave arrives quickly for both of us!

I also stopped nights at 30 weeks. It sounds like they're making you do an awful lot.
Also look at the terms of your Mat leave, my qualifying period was weeks 18-25 and it's those wages they use to calculate your Mat pay (NHS worker here too), therefore if you chose to reduce your hours it shouldn't affect your mat leave

I'm an HCA and stopped my night shifts at 12 weeks, I just couldn't cope with them at all. As others have said, occy health backed me up fully. Still finding the work very tiring, but manageable at the moment!

Thanks so much guys! I was worried it was just me and work would think I'm being unreasonable.
I'm not sure why but no referral has been made to occy health (that I'm aware of) so I shall be speaking to my manager to discuss this and get one done ASAP.
Thanks again! Roll on mat leave! :happydance:
Approx 12 weeks to go haha hot that I'm counting

I am a vet nurse at a very busy 24 hour emergency hospital and am also having a hard time with the long days on my feet. I have requested no more overnight shifts and my manager has accommodated that. I have a couple shifts where I work until 2 am, but for the most part I am off work and in bed no later than 10 pm which has helped me cope. I work 4 days on, 3 days off, and at the end of my 4th day on my back is super sore. I am planning on working up until 39 weeks, and I also don't want to reduce my hours as it will affect my maternity leave pay (I am in Canada) so I am just sucking it up. Last month I picked up a bunch of extra shifts and ended up only have 6 days off work the entire month, which was pushing it for me, so I am just going to stick with my regular shifts and am hoping I will cope better without adding extra work to my schedule. Good luck and hopefully you can get out of all those night shifts!

I'm not sure why but no referral has been made to occy health (that I'm aware of) so I shall be speaking to my manager to discuss this and get one done ASAP.

It may be different there but you're not automatically referred to Occy Health here unless something comes up in your pregnancy risk assessment/s, where your manager may then refer you or Occy Health may ask to see you themselves (they should get a copy of your risk assessment).

I ended up there purely by fluke as they mistakenly asked to see me after my risk assessment (they couldn't work out why I'd even been asked when I actually went there, and I didn't know either!).

You can self-refer at any time though, so you can always do that if you're worried about asking manager to refer you :)

Congratulations kariss and other mums-to-be! I hope you can negotiate with your manager to stop night shifts after 28 weeks, kariss. May God bless you all with a healthy n happy pregnancy and babies.

:dust: :dust: :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->