Car Seat - which side of the car?

maggie111

Reaction score
Just about to fix in the IsoFix into the car and it has occurred to us - which side of the car do you put the car seat in? A quick Google has showed the middle seat is a popular choice... But it never even occurred to me to put it in the middle!! :dohh:

Hubs thinks the opposite side to the driver.. But I think directly behind so that you have space to get out your side and get the baby out rather than having room on both sides of the car...

Any ideas?! :shrug:

(Edit, we have bought a mirror - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diono-Easy...F8&qid=1365703997&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+mirror )

The middle is the safest but a lot of seats don't fit well there.

Passenger side is usually best as you will be getting baby out on the pavement side most of the time

Mine is going on the passenger side. I very very rarely park on opposite side to road so babies seat will be on pavement side. Not fiddling with a car seat in the road!

My isofix only goes on either side, not middle unfortunately or she'd be there

I will be putting mine behind driver, it's just way our street parking is on a hill and my DH likes parking downwards so this makes driver side in line with the pavement.

Ours is going behind the passanger seat as if you get hit coming out of a junction, your car will be hit on the drivers side as thats the way the roads work in the UK, you drive on the left so surely the safest place is as far away from that side as possible. Obviously thats only for the UK or places that drive on the same side as the UK, hope that makes sense lol

Ours will be going in the middle for safety reasons

Ours is going behind the passanger seat as if you get hit coming out of a junction, your car will be hit on the drivers side as thats the way the roads work in the UK, you drive on the left so surely the safest place is as far away from that side as possible. Obviously thats only for the UK or places that drive on the same side as the UK, hope that makes sense lol

in sense i agree with you, but a car can hit you from any direction, if your turning right at a junction then a car can hit your driver side or passenger side depending on direction they are travelling or even rear-end your car at a junction.

All this car talk makes me want to wrap my baby in bubble wrap and walk everywhere with him! lol.

I was just reminded I'm sure I heard that a driver will instinctively protect his own side of the car... So good reasons for either side!

Also never thought of the pavement issue which is an excellent point :thumbup:

My OH has started installing it behind the driver - so for now we'll keep it on that side, but we can easily switch it.

We don't have a middle seat IsoFix point unfortunately.

behind passenger seat, when I drive of course. So when LO cries it will be easier to reach back and give his paci.. so whatever side is convenient for you. I love the little mirrors, they help...:thumbup:

All this car talk makes me want to wrap my baby in bubble wrap and walk everywhere with him! lol.

Still not safe!!! Stay in the house and never leave :)

We drive a Honda Element so we have no middle backseat.... Never park in the street so I think I'll be going with driver side.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this sweetie, but would depend on the type of car you have! I know OH's car only has the Isofix connections on the seats behind the driver and passenger, not the middle seat. Mine doesn't have Isofix at all so will have to use seat beat option to hold base in place. xxx

in sense i agree with you, but a car can hit you from any direction, if your turning right at a junction then a car can hit your driver side or passenger side depending on direction they are travelling or even rear-end your car at a junction.

And there shows my blonde side coming out LOL

very good question with my son I instinctively put him behind the passenger seat as that felt natural but obviously he still in car seats so I guess baby will be behind my seat :-/ oh that is something to think about lol

We have ours behind the the drivers seat at the moment. We purchased the same mirror and when we had a look earlier, don't think we'll be able to see baby very well with the seat on that side. We'll shortly be moving the seat to the passenger side but purely so that we can see baby better! X

I don't think the car seat will fit in the middle for us, so it will be behind the passenger seat for easy access for me to reach to her. We bought that mirror as well, I hope it will work on that side.

Our middle seat cannot accommodate the baby seat it's more like a 1/2 seat. Baby has alway been behind the driver. dH usually drives so I can see baby and when I drive it's easier to grab baby on the same side as me

I have a 3 door car so plan on the Isofix base going behind the passenger seat as I think this will be the easiest position for me to get it out of.

Great question :thumbup: i had no idea there were all these options LOL i was told it had to go behind the driver as they instinctively protect their side of the car :wacko: so i guess i'll leave it there and see how we go but it does seem like there is no right answer :flower: x

Middle is the safest if can be done in your vehicle, then passenger side. You can see and access baby much easier from this position, rather than in back of driver. Once you have two or more, it gets more confusing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->