carbohydrate (BLW problem)

isil

Reaction score
We mainly do baby led weaning with Alasdair because it suits him and his stubborn, independent personality! Usually I put a massive variety of food on his plate (veggies, fruit, meat or/and cheese and some type of carbohydrate) but lately all he eats is the carbohydrate and occasionally some of the meat or cheese. I'm so confused about what he's doing! I tried spoon feeding him some mashed carrot, sweet potato and broccolli and he completely refused it. Do I just have to trust that as he's eaten more in the past, he'll go back to eating a variety again? or try something else?!

I know that most of you spoon feed but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate them!

I dont do BLW strictly - we are using pureed food but letting her self feed, with guidance IYKWIM. I give solids too which she's still at the sucking / playing with it stage! If she refuses anything we stop or I dont offer for a few days if it's a solid item. Are you putting too much variety on the plate? Maybe cut down the items?

Personally I would only offer 1 or 2 items at one meal at a time for him to eat. Maybe too many items is intimidating? After 6 months babies need the extra energy and nutrients solids provide (which im sure you already know) so getting enough solids each day is important... Here its recommend they be weaned by 6 months to prevent issues with textures and different foods and tastes, and because of the extra nutrition they need.

If you are set on him feeding himself and do BLW, then maybe just offer small meals throughout the day, enough that you have offered someting from each food source, but one at a time.

Even any of the toddlers i've babysat we follow giving them only 1 or 2 things at a time. It makes it easier for them.

I think you can keep the variety, just not all at once. Kaya goes through phases of only eating certain things, if she doesn't want something (that I know she's eaten before) fair enough but she won't get anything else to eat for a while. I give her lots of little snacks throughout the day and have found that the best things are - soft cheese on a bit of bread, meat paste on bread, cocktail sausages, Humzingers (one of the best ways of getting them to eat fruit), an apple, satsuma, etc. She also gets breakfast, lunch and tea so doesn't get any snacks 1 hour before.

I think I would only offer a couple things too...if he's already had too many carbs that day offer just a couple varieties of veggies. What we did was offer veggies first at lunch and dinner, then some fruit after if they wanted it. At breakfast we offered a cereal and fruit usually.

thanks everyone! I knew Ally would do this, you post about something and then he goes and fixes it himself! He had a banana for his snack then spaghetti bolognaise and carrots for his lunch, broccolli and blackberries for his snack and then fish, beans, apple, peas and a yoghurt for his tea. I've never known him to eat so much. I think maybe it was because he had been poorly and he was just like 'restocking' or something or didn't feel like anything too strong taste wise.

I guess with the variety maybe being too much for him thing I guess I am just worried about him not getting all the nutrients he needs so I feel like I have to give him as much opportunity to get different nutrients as possible. I probably worry too much...

With Hannah we have found that too much on her tray and she seems to get overwhelmed so I put a bit at a time...seems to help. Glad Alasdair ate better :hug:

I'm glad he ate better!! I find the boys always stick to carbs like toast, any bread, crackers when they haven't been feeling well. It sounds like he eats really well though, really healthy...I'm sure he's doing fine. I would probably just limit it a bit more, to the things yo uknwo he needs more servings of so you know he eats what you need him to but also still giving him the choice. As he gets older it could become more overwhelming giving him so many options...even with my older boys they get 2 choices for lunch and breakfast or we would sit there forever with them going back and forth lol. But like dinner they have no choice, they eat what's made because I can't make 4-5 diff meals a night haha. But I do try to give them choices on other meals

im glad hes eating better hun, im around any time if you have any more questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->