Cardiology appointment tomorrow

Reaction score
I was taken to the hospital ER this morning with severe chest pain. A little background: I'm 28, female and a nursing student. I'm married with two children. I'm sure you can already see my stress level. I do have a history of anxiety and have had very mild chest pain when it gets bad. It typically goes away on it's own when it happens after about 30 minutes or so.

I was woken this morning at about 6am with severe chest pain. On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being worst pain, my pain was a 7. The pain was constant and nothing made it any better. So I got up got my kids ready, got my 8 year old on the school bus and took my 2 year old to preschool. I went to school, got there at 8am, just in time classes begin then. Pain was still there, same strength and felt like a tightness/ sharp pain. I thought it would eventually go away and honestly I was afraid to say anything.
So we went into lab practicing physical assessments and I just couldn't move, I felt like crap and my chest just hurt really bad. So I left the room to look for my professor as she was out of the room at the time. Found her and told her what was going on. I apparently was looking rather pale and clammy. The pain was so bad I was on the verge of tears. My nursing director said per campus policy and because I wasn't looking too well family member needed to come get me or she had to call rescue to take me to the hospital. My husband wasn't as to get out of work right away so he met me at the hospital, as I was taken by rescue. They did a 12-lead and it came back with a normal sinus rhythm, though my heart rate was rather low, kept going between 47-56 bpm. Then shoot up to 67 bpm for a couple seconds then go back down. My blood pressure went from 127/78 all the way down to 85/52 after giving me pain meds, which I'm assuming why it was so low. My pain is still there, though it's not quite as bad. I was given a blood thinner along with pain meds in the hospital. They did blood work and an X-ray which all came back normal. I have been referred to a cardiologist and have to see them tomorrow morning.
I'm worried as to what even started this pain in the first place. I'm confused. It doesn't seem to be caused by my heart, yet I'm seeing a cardiologist. It's probably good I'm seeing him anyway because I've been having difficulty with my blood pressure lately. Most times when I stand up, I black out for a few seconds and then come to again.....I think it's because my blood pressure is so low.
Anyone have any similar situation? Or encouraging words? Either or both would be nice :)

I've not got any advice bit just wanted to say hope the appointment goes well x

No experience, but I wanted to say good luck!

I know its scary- I had some heart issues after I had my little girl, and now I am terrified about every little chest pain to the point where I'm not sure if it's real or just anxiety.

Hang in there!

Well my appointment went well. No sign of cardiac problems. My creatinine levels are a little low and my blood pressure is running low and apparently I'm not eating enough salt in my diet. My body isnt retaining enough water in my blood stream so my pressure is low. This may also be the cause for my "fainting" spells when I stand from lying down. So he's ordered a stress test to see how my body reacts to it.

Have they checked your kidney function? As not enough creatine or sodium (salt) suggests kidney problems to me- I have these monitored regularly to make sure my kidneys aren't being damaged by some medication that I'm on.

Well the dr said he wasn't concerned with my creatinine levels. I'm not sure what the range is and he didn't seem to be sure either. My creatinine level was 39 and CK level was 0.06

Maybe mention POTS Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.. Sounds very much like myself.. But my ECGs were abnormal. The POTS can be dx by tilt table test. Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->