Care during pregnancy after a preemie

Katielou14

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Just wondered what care you get once pregnant again after having a premature baby? My little boy is 7 months now but was 9 weeks early and weighed 2lb 14oz. I dont know why I went into labour and i'm not thinking about getting pregnant again just yet but would be nice to know other mums experiences that have got pregnant after having a premature bubba! :D Did you still just have the usual midwife appointments, or consultant appointments ect? Thanks x

Katie we have a big thread where we are all pregnant after a preemie. My LO was 2lb 14oz at 27 weeks and we didnt know why it happened.

The midwife will prob refer you to to a consultant who will see you more often.

The consultant takes swabs from me to check for infection, and i had a cervix scan to check if my cervix was shortening. you might have a different care plan, but the main point is they will check everything to avoid what 'could' happen.

Also, if your in the UK you might want to look up the OPPTIMUM trial, taking part in this was the best thing i did, i got extra scans and even more looked after! Theres links on the first page of our pregnancy after preemies thread, i'd be happy to answer any questions :)

But if you want the short answer, yes, you'll be closely monitired, especially if they have no reason why your preemie came so soon x x

I shall look up that trial, too. (eta - Ach, not relevant to my problem.)

I was fortunate to be referred to our Placenta Clinic, primarily because I had a high DS risk score and had turned down amnio to check. The plan was to carry out monthly scans but, once they spotted my placental problems, the scans were ramped up and I would have been on weekly scans in the last two months (but I didn't get that far).

I have already seen the Consultant from the clinic, just to get pre-pregnancy advice. He has advised me that if I fall pregnant again, I should get the GP to refer me to the Clinic midwives rather than the Community midwives. They would carry out my 12week scan and additional dopplers (to look for the same placental problem), and would schedule appropriate regular scans thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->