Caster oil at 38 weeks...

No I wouldn't, you'll probably make yourself sick, have terrible cramps and give yourself the shits for nothing.
I really would just wait it out.
Xx

I tried it when I was pregnant with DD wanted to go into labour naturally, I tried it at 40 weeks, just ended up sitting on the toilet all day :( didn't have one contraction from it.

You also have to be careful as it can cause the baby to get stressed and pass meconium. (I didn't know that until after)

Ah that doesn't sound pleasant! Thanks ladies. You know how it is when you get impatient and start googling lol

Wait it out. It's extremely unpleasant, and even if you did go into labour, you'd feel like shit the entire time! You're still early -- full term is between 39-42 weeks.

Really wouldn't! I've heard stories that it can stress baby out and cause them to pass meconium. Also causes terrible diarrhoea and cramps x

There's no proven scientific link between the baby distress and meconium after taking caster oil, having said that God knows why anyone would drink that rubbish. The mere thought of diarrhoea whilst in labour gives me the heebee geebees, and (if like me) you'll vomit enough in labour without castor oil!

Sit back, relax, stare at your babys room, go for walk, bounce on your ball, wash and fold babys clothes (again :haha: )...I know it's crap, I went 42 weeks pregnant in the July heatwave in 2013 but once that bundle has arrived it's go go go! :)

Absolutely don't do it. This castor oil thing is one of the... (thinking of a diplomatic word here!)... more ludicrous suggestions I've ever heard. Who cares if it brings on labour or not? You will be so sick and miserable after drinking it that you'll be wishing you never did it. Not sure why anyone would want to give themselves the craps on purpose!

Don't do it xx
It can bring stress on baby x

I googled everyday from 37 weeks with dd, all I did was insert EPO capsules for 1 week and I got contractions right smack on my due date and had her 2 days later.

Bounce on your ball and get your hips to move bub down :flower:

Don't do it! Castor oil is a throw back from the Bad Old Days.
When I was overdue with DD, who was apparently already 8lbs at 36 weeks, I tried everything to get labour going, but I drew the line at castor oil.
Be kind to yourself, scoff pineapple to your hearts content, order a hot curry, have some sex!

Glad you posted this! I have been wondering about Castor Oil myself. My neighbor took it at 34 weeks (not sure why so early?) and went into labor 6 hours later, then tool it again with her second baby and went into labor 12 hours later. She was raving about it and gave me the leftover bottle but after reading more about it I'm definitely not taking any. I don't like the idea of all these side effects!!

I agree with everyone else and definitely wouldn't do it. Labour is hard enough without making yourself ill beforehand, you'll need all your strength for labour.

I second bouncing on a birthing ball, hot curry etc because at least if they don't work they aren't going to do any harm.

At 38 weeks your baby is well developed and hospital wouldn't stop your labor so I think if you want to give it a try then you should... I took it at 39 weeks last pregnancy and it did nothing literaly nothing hardly even a loose bowel movement maybe I didn't take enough whereas my sister used it with both her boys at 38 weeks and it worked both times for her both her boys were born healthy and well x

To me is makes NO sense at all. To each their own, but I would let nature takes it course.. Good Luck XO

My friend took it and labor started 4 hours later.... She was 40 weeks and her waters had broke 2 days earlier and it was in hopes of continuing on with a home birth...... She said she vomitted but no loose stools....

I think you weigh pros and cons and do what's best for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->