CD ammonia emergency!

Pink Petals

Reaction score
Help!

We left on a week long trip and in the chaos, forgot to wash our stash. They sat dirty in a wet bag for a week and now have a crazy strong ammonia smell.

I tried soaking the diapers over night in hot water with RLR and then doing a ton of rinsing, but no good. :shrug:

Ugh! I go back to work in 2 days and do not need this stress!

Hm I was going to suggest washing soda, but that's the same as RLR. Did you do a strip wash with lots of detergent after the soak?

No, just tons of rinsing. We have never really needed to properly strip, so I don't know a lot anout it. Any advice?

I just basically use double the amount of detergent I normally use for diapers (so for me it's the standard dose for regular laundry). Then I rinse until there are little to no detergent bubbles. It might be worthwhile to give them another soak in hot water with RLR or washing soda, then wash with the full dose of detergent. The washing soda loosens stuck build up, and the detergent should wash it away.

I've also tried the dish soap method when I bought some used diapers (no ammonia issues there though), basically just soaked them in hot water and a teaspoon or so of dishsoap. People say to only use blue Dawn for this, but I used a different kind and it worked great and got rid of stains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->