Celiac Disease is a bummer

VixenVamp

Reaction score
Over the past 2 years i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and heart disease. Before that was migraines and bipolar disorder. Currently, my diagnosed and proven (by biopsy) problem is celiac disease. This means I have a gluten allergy. Gluten is in basically everything! No wheat, barley, malt, or rye for starters and then there is a whole list of unsafe foods/ingredients. If anyone has the diagnoses and wants to talk, I am here. I don't know much as I've only been diagnosed under 2 months now. I do know there is no treatment aside from eating a fully gluten-free diet. If you have any tips or recipes you want to share, i would be glad to receive them. Thanks! :)

My son has a wheat allergy so has to avoid alot of the same things that people with cealiac do, id recommend joining cealic uk if you already havent. If you join glutefin and juvela they send you free packs of gluten free food to try with recipe books and lots of advice.

I know how you feel, I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease on my 21st birthday! It was so hard at first, I cheated on the diet all the time and it wasn't til I met my OH a month later that I started taking it seriously as he also has it.
If you're in the UK you can get some breads, flour, pasta etc on prescription so ask your doctor about that.

If you want any advice on making bread or cakes feel free to ask! I make all my own bread (well I did until my FIL filled our freezer with gluten free bread from the shops) and cakes.

There is a store where I live that specializes with gluten free foods. Some things are kind of expensive but you can make a lot at home. Fruits and veggies are really good to snack on too. Personally, I believe people with Celiac disease become a lot healthier than people without it. I know it's hard but keep your head up. There are a lot of immitation foods too if you find yourself craving something you can't have.

Thanks ladies. I haven't met anyone else with celiac so I haven't had anyone to talk to who understands. Natsku, I would love to get recipe ideas. I miss good bread. :(

I'll look up one of my recipes for you when I have some time. Do you have a bread machine? I have machine recipes and handmade recipes. Xantham gum and psyllium are necessary for good bread in my opinion so if you can get hold of them thats good.

I have been seriously considering a bread machine, but currently do not have one. I have xantham gum on-hand.

I have a bread machine that has a gluten free cycle whici is great but its not hard by hand either, actually easier than making normal bread as you don't have to knead it.

Sounds good. I really dislike most of the breads I have tried so far. They have just not been good. My hubby said I could seriously take someone out with the hamburger buns because they are so hard.:wacko:

Many doctors and dietitians now believe that it’s OK for people with celiac disease to eat oats – but only if the oats were processed in a certified gluten-free factory. If your symptoms flare up after eating oats from a gluten-free factory, stop eating them and ask your doctor or dietitian for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->