Cervix closed baby head down?

teamandy

Reaction score
I'm 36.5 weeks today and at my appointment yesterday, he told me that the baby is definately head down but my cervix was closed.

I was wondering if that means I'm no way near labour? I was kinda hoping that the baby comes sooner rather than later..(though I want a healthy baby!)

Thoughts?

There's absolutely no way of telling to be honest with you! It could be soon, or it could be in a few weeks.

But to give you some hope, I went for a sweep at 40+5 with my first child but my cervix was tightly closed and was told that labour was a "long way off" - I lost my mucous plug later that day and went into labour the next!!

Baby has been head down since 28weeks for me. I've still got fingers crossed he'll come before due date as otherwise i get induced!

Cervix dilation really doesn't mean anything til active labor starts. You can be tightly closed up til actual labor, or walk around at 3cm for a month, and neither really means anything for when labor will start.

My bubs has been head down since 24 weeks and still inside!
Booked in for induction though on 27th im hoping he arrives before though x

I just turned 36 weeks today, and they told me the same thing yesterday at my appointment! Head down, cervix closed. The doctor told me he doesn't expect me to go into labor in the next two weeks, but at the same time told me that he could be wrong, and if the baby wanted I could go into labor tomorrow!

My baby hasn't dropped yet though, which is definitely a sign that you are closer to labor. So, I guess what they mean when they say that is, "You're unlikely to go into labor in the next few hours from the way you look right now."

I SO hope my little one comes early this time! She is giving me so much pain. But it's the waiting game at this point. :)

With dd at my 36 week appt I was told no cervical changes and she hadn't dropped yet. My water broke 3 days later and she was born. Things can change quickly!

With dd at my 36 week appt I was told no cervical changes and she hadn't dropped yet. My water broke 3 days later and she was born. Things can change quickly!

Wow! That would be nice. Praying for quick changes (and a healthy baby)!

My baby is head down but that`s not the same as being engaged is it?

so many terms to learn in pregnancy lol

No way of telling I'm afraid. Last time round mine was head down for ages (they don't do cervical exams here until you're in labour or until you have a sweep) and I think I was a cm at 40 weeks but baby still didn't arrive until late evening when I was 40+12 (and that was with several augmentations e.g. artificially ruptured membranes and syntocinon drip - yuk!).

I don't know why they check cervical dilation. Seems it's just to stress out mothers! You can be dilated several centimeters for weeks before going into labor, or you can start at 0 and end up with a baby in your arms within hours. I never had mine checked and I don't plan to have it checked with this one either.

i was 4cm at 37 weeks and still ended up bbeing indced at 39 weeks so it really doesn't mean a lot even if you are dilated xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->