• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cervix length scan and cerclage advice..... is 20 weeks too late?

Confused85

Reaction score
Hello mums to be,

I’m 14 weeks + 1 day, and I’m due to have my cervix length measured at my next ultrasound, At which point I will be 20 weeks.

My son was born early at 34 weeks, no reason found, just my waters broke early. However I did struggle to walk from about 29 weeks due to pressure. My cervix length was not checked at all when I was pregnant with my son. Since having my son I’ve had lletz treatment on my cervix. With this history I have been booked in for my cervix length to be checked as mentioned above incase I need to have a stitch put in my cervix.

My question is, is 20 weeks too late to have my cervix length measured?.... I’ve been reading up on this and seen that most Routine scans are done around 16 weeks and that it’s best if the stitch is put in earlier and in some cases as early as 14 weeks!

I’m probably being paranoid but I’m worried as I’ve had two miscarriages (first trimester) and an ectopic since my son was born and I’m dreading another loss.

If anyone can share their experience and maybe put my mind at ease it would be great!

Many thanks,

Natalie.

My first was early due to waters breaking spontaneously at 34+5. With my 2nd I started Makena injections at 16 weeks and cervix wasn't measured until anatomy scan at 19+2. I don't recall what my measurement waa but I know it was normal length. She was born at 39+4. On my 3rd pregnancy and my cervix hasn't been measured (I think they did at 8 weeks scan but don't recall), it will be measured at my 20 week scan. You could always mention your concern to your provider though

My first was early due to waters breaking spontaneously at 34+5. With my 2nd I started Makena injections at 16 weeks and cervix wasn't measured until anatomy scan at 19+2. I don't recall what my measurement waa but I know it was normal length. She was born at 39+4. On my 3rd pregnancy and my cervix hasn't been measured (I think they did at 8 weeks scan but don't recall), it will be measured at my 20 week scan. You could always mention your concern to your provider though

Thank you so much Flueky88 for your response. It’s good to know that one premature birth doesn’t necessarily mean another.

I wouldn’t be so concerned about my cervix if I hadn’t had lletz treatment following a premature birth. I will mention it to my doctor just for peace of mind. But I do have a gynaecologist appointment at 16 weeks so will also ask then.

Thank you so much and wishing you all the best on your third pregnancy! Xx

Hi hun!
I didnt even any premature births (although DS1 was 37+2 and DS2 was 37+1, so very flush). But at my 31weeks echo for DS2 they were measuring for growth and noticed my cervix was quite short (1.5cm instead of 3.5cm) and I still went along to make it to 37 weeks. No idea how long it had been short, and I was working from home with a toddler with this pandemic, so I never even went on full bedrest and little one stayed tucked in. So Im not sure it would be too late to find out at 20weeks if there was anything but you can always talk it over with your doctor :hugs:

Hi hun!
I didnt even any premature births (although DS1 was 37+2 and DS2 was 37+1, so very flush). But at my 31weeks echo for DS2 they were measuring for growth and noticed my cervix was quite short (1.5cm instead of 3.5cm) and I still went along to make it to 37 weeks. No idea how long it had been short, and I was working from home with a toddler with this pandemic, so I never even went on full bedrest and little one stayed tucked in. So Im not sure it would be too late to find out at 20weeks if there was anything but you can always talk it over with your doctor :hugs:

Hi hun!

Thank you so much Missielibra for sharing your experience. Wow that is reassuring! I will discuss with my doctor. I hate sounding paranoid but I’m such a worrier and I don’t always trust doctors.

Congratulations on your recent bundle of joy, especially during this pandemic! Xx​

Hello mums to be,

I’m 14 weeks + 1 day, and I’m due to have my cervix length measured at my next ultrasound, At which point I will be 20 weeks.

My son was born early at 34 weeks, no reason found, just my waters broke early. However I did struggle to walk from about 29 weeks due to pressure. My cervix length was not checked at all when I was pregnant with my son. Since having my son I’ve had lletz treatment on my cervix. With this history I have been booked in for my cervix length to be checked as mentioned above incase I need to have a stitch put in my cervix.

My question is, is 20 weeks too late to have my cervix length measured?.... I’ve been reading up on this and seen that most Routine scans are done around 16 weeks and that it’s best if the stitch is put in earlier and in some cases as early as 14 weeks!

I’m probably being paranoid but I’m worried as I’ve had two miscarriages (first trimester) and an ectopic since my son was born and I’m dreading another loss.

If anyone can share their experience and maybe put my mind at ease it would be great!

Many thanks,

Natalie.

I had a LLETZ done a few years back. They always said to me qty follow up appointments to make sure I tell the midwife my history as I might need a stitch.

I'm under a consultant for my pregnancy and had my cervix length checked at 12 week scan and all is fine. They will check again at 20 weeks and they Evey few weeks to make sure it's still ok.

Sorry you're going through this, it's very unsettling and can be quite scary just not knowing. Hopefully your scan soon will put your mind at rest. If you're very concerned I'm sure you could speak with your midwife and ask to be checked sooner.

Hope you're doing ok x

I had a LLETZ done a few years back. They always said to me qty follow up appointments to make sure I tell the midwife my history as I might need a stitch.

I'm under a consultant for my pregnancy and had my cervix length checked at 12 week scan and all is fine. They will check again at 20 weeks and they Evey few weeks to make sure it's still ok.

Sorry you're going through this, it's very unsettling and can be quite scary just not knowing. Hopefully your scan soon will put your mind at rest. If you're very concerned I'm sure you could speak with your midwife and ask to be checked sooner.

Hope you're doing ok x

Thank you so much for your experience Miss_Bump! I’m happy to hear all is going well for you. It’s great you got a cervix check at your 12 week scan.

I do feel I need the reassurance of an earlier cervix check. I will try to bug my
Doctor and midwife, but I have a feeling I won’t get far unless I went private. I’m hoping our NHS will look after me following the 20 weeks check too.

Thank you so much for your help and all the best for your pregnancy xx

Thank you so much for your experience Miss_Bump! I’m happy to hear all is going well for you. It’s great you got a cervix check at your 12 week scan.

I do feel I need the reassurance of an earlier cervix check. I will try to bug my
Doctor and midwife, but I have a feeling I won’t get far unless I went private. I’m hoping our NHS will look after me following the 20 weeks check too.

Thank you so much for your help and all the best for your pregnancy xx
Im NHS too. Due to your history it's great they are going to check but yes give them a push to check sooner. They said to me if it was short at 12 week scan they'd do the stitch on that day!

Im NHS too. Due to your history it's great they are going to check but yes give them a push to check sooner. They said to me if it was short at 12 week scan they'd do the stitch on that day!

Wow that’s great care from the NHS! I was worried if they found at 20 weeks I had a short cervix then I would have to wait to have the stitch put in but maybe it will treated as emergency.

I will try my best to push for sooner, everywhere I read the check seems to done before 20 weeks. I’m 14 weeks and already feel some pressure down there, which has made me worry. Maybe it’s normal but I don’t remember having that feeling so early with my son x

Ask your doctor and if they say no tell them you want it noted in your chart that they refused you an ultrasound. Honestly I don’t understand why things are done this way in other parts of the world. I’m in Canada, and with my pregnancies if I had a concern they’d give me an ultrasound. It’s 10 minutes of effort and a $100 bill for the province - so why not?? Especially for something that could be so serious.

Ask your doctor and if they say no tell them you want it noted in your chart that they refused you an ultrasound. Honestly I don’t understand why things are done this way in other parts of the world. I’m in Canada, and with my pregnancies if I had a concern they’d give me an ultrasound. It’s 10 minutes of effort and a $100 bill for the province - so why not?? Especially for something that could be so serious.

Hello Sander, thank you so much for your message! I don’t understand why I am having to fight so much about something important.

I have been trying for over a week now. In the last 2 days I’ve spoken to my doctor, midwife, two different ultrasound departments, early pregnancy unit, All Murillo times and have been told no. Routine Cervix length scan is 20 weeks. Which I know isn’t the case. I’ve known people with earlier scans. So I’m not sure what’s happened to my care. My last resort is talking to my obstetrician, which is impossible unless you have an appointment but thank god ive tracked her down and I’m getting a call tomorrow, so hopefully I have some luck there. My midwife thought I should have an earlier scan but when referring me for a scan the department said no! I’m at a complete loss and have no faith in our NHS.

I may have to go private. It’s £300 for a cervix scan.... not ideal but worth the money when it’s something so serious. When I talk to these doctors etc I don’t think they understand How important it is my cervix length is monitored. I know 20 weeks may be too late.

Honestly it’s shocking to me!! How can a scan department say no to a referral by a midwife? Like isn’t it their job to scan who the medical professionals say need a scan? It’s so strange.

I hope your OB takes you seriously. And for real have them note in your chart if they refuse you. Then if anything does happen you can go after them for malpractice. That chart request will normally scare a doctor into letting you get a scan.

If it will ease your mind and your OB says no, then I would go for the private. It sucks that it’s so expensive, but it will at least give you peace of mind. I worried a lot about an incompetent cervix during my first pregnancy, and I didn’t even have a real reason to. At the time though I looked into it a lot and it’s true they say by 20 weeks it’s often too late - if you have a pre-existing condition you should absolutely be checked.

Can the doctor who did your procedure refer you? They’re the ones who told you to be checked when pregnant in the first place right?

Honestly it’s shocking to me!! How can a scan department say no to a referral by a midwife? Like isn’t it their job to scan who the medical professionals say need a scan? It’s so strange.

I hope your OB takes you seriously. And for real have them note in your chart if they refuse you. Then if anything does happen you can go after them for malpractice. That chart request will normally scare a doctor into letting you get a scan.

If it will ease your mind and your OB says no, then I would go for the private. It sucks that it’s so expensive, but it will at least give you peace of mind. I worried a lot about an incompetent cervix during my first pregnancy, and I didn’t even have a real reason to. At the time though I looked into it a lot and it’s true they say by 20 weeks it’s often too late - if you have a pre-existing condition you should absolutely be checked.

Can the doctor who did your procedure refer you? They’re the ones who told you to be checked when pregnant in the first place right?

It doesn’t really work like that here, they acknowledge due to having a preteen birth and having lletz treatment on my cervix I will need monitoring but say they won’t scan until 20 weeks.... it’s madness when the cervix can shorten anytime in the second trimester, by 20 weeks it could be too late.

I hope my obstetrician understands my concern.... although I fear a scan via our nhs will take a couple of weeks to arrange. So I will most likely need to go private. The more I read about having an incompetent cervix the more I worry and realise I’m not making a fuss over nothing. I just want to be heard. It’s so exhausting.

After having a number of losses I just want to do everything I can to ensure this baby stays.

I will keep you updated following my call to my obstetrician tomorrow.

Thank you for all your advice and support x

So I finally got the ok to have an earlier cervix length scan!! It’s tomorrow!! I also get to see baby and to find out the sex. So very relieved and happy all my fighting got
me somewhere! I finally found an obstetrician In the NHS that sympathised with me and understood exactly why I want it done.

Thank you everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->