Charities Cold Calling

holly2234

Reaction score
Ive just had somebody from a charity knock on my door at 8:30pm asking me for money. Its not the first time and it always between 8 and 9pm!

Is it just me or does anybody else think thats out of line? While i do support the work they do, i think knocking on doors at night is just scaring people and inconveniencing people.

I also wish people would read my sign that says no cold calling :dohh:

I think it's shocking! I had a guy rattling my door really loud last week around 7.30pm just as Charlie had gone to bed :growlmad: I nearly jumped out of my skin because I wasn't expecting anyone! He was really apologetic when I told him my son was asleep but still did his speel in a really loud whispery voice aarrgghh!! I told him I'll choose my own charities to donate to and ended up being snippy with him in the end because he wouldn't stop talking! I find it difficult to say just go away cos I know they are only doing a job but I wasn't happy and called up the charity to complain and they apologised and put my address on a list of 'don't cold call'! I'm putting a sign on my door now as well.

I sent an email afterwards to tell them how antisocial it is to knock on doors at night. She never got as far as that 20 minute speech that they do! I saw her coming so i answered and said "Ive not got enough money for myself so dont come here asking me for it" It just wound me up because of the time. I normally just say no thanks and thats the end of it.

I think there is a law about cold calling after 7pm and im pretty sure its illegal to go door to door for charities.
When I used to go collecting in the high street for cancer I remember being told in our dos and donts that you are not allowed to approch people asking they have to come to you, I know its illegal to go around pubs asking for donations.
I got in alot of trouble going aroynd shops asking when I was a kid when I didnt realise it was illegal.
Its somthimg to do with a law about if you aproach someone asking for donations it comes under begging laws

It's annoying and I don't open the door late at night (since it's only my son and I in the house). One of the times, in the afternoon, someone came to the door and kept asking to come in to chat and questioning why I wasn't letting him it!! He got the door slammed in his face. If I had caught what charity it was I would have reported him.

When its happened before i told them its too late and they just said "Well im just doing my job and i dont finish until 8:45" which seems way too late! I also asked what kind of donations he thinks he's going to get on a council estate where most peoples children run around in torn clothes :dohh:

Teal i wouldnt have opened the door if it was just me in either. Most of the people around here dont.

Smokey, you mention about them not being able to ask in the street, here theyre constantly running up to you and shouting after you if you say no. I said "No thanks" to someone once and he ran after me shouting! If i knew what charity he was from i would have reported him too.

I do think turning up at doors is basically begging in my eyes. I know charities do it to my grandmother and try and get to get her Direct Debit details. I'm constantly trying to tell her not to feel forced into doing it and only donate to charities she feels personally for.

It's never happened to me before and I didn't even know they could legally do that! Teal, I'm home alone with Charlie as well and it's horrrible when someone bangs loudly on your door when you're not expecting it :/

I put a sign up on my door this morning - might put a photo of a big scary dog on it as well, just to make sure they don't knock again :haha:

I donate to three charities - ill leave it at that personally, no matter how many times they turn up at my door x

We get lots if charitys down our street knocking in the doors thankfully its at a decent time but i just ignore them, i donate money ti the charity i support and thats that. Where we live there are rows and rows of long streets think like 4th/5th avenue you the layout in new york its a bit like that so thats why they always come down our street as theres so many houses and lots of streets!!

Ive had a reply to the email i sent and the charity does not do cold calling! Theyre going to contact my local office to see if they've authorised it.

I refuse to sign up to anything and hand my bank details over to anyone on my door.
I choose my charities based on whats personal to me and anyone who knocks on the door past 6 gets ignored i'm afraid.

It will be interesting to see whether its a scam or them doing it when they shouldnt be. The main office doesnt seem to know or approve of it so we'll soon see.

God don't get me started on this, I really dislike any company that feels the need to go round knocking on people's doors, wether it be for charity, to sell something or to talk about their religion. I've always gone by the phrase if I want something or feel strongly about something i'll seek it out myself and don't need people knocking on my door basically begging for my money, regardless of the cause!

It's one of my pet hates, I know the people that do it are just trying to earn a living but the companies/charities/organisations who enforce cold calling should find better ways of making money imo.

I agree! The reason i got my no cold calling sign was because i was sick of people trying to sell me windows. My windows are new!

I agree! The reason i got my no cold calling sign was because i was sick of people trying to sell me windows. My windows are new!

They seem to feign temporary blindness to these signs..

The window sales people have stopped now. Either the sign worked or they finally listened to me when i said the house is rented.

Still waiting to hear from the Midlands team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->