Charlie Harry Born 25th October 2008

Miss MellyG

Mummy to Cheeky Charlie
Reaction score
Hiya all

I know this is uber late but my labour & birth was a bit traumatic & I've found it hard to talk about it. But I know my little boy is perfect so I am starting to get over it & now feel ok to tell you about it.. here goes

Well I was 10 days overdue & went in to be induced on Friday 24th October, I got there & I was sooo excited I would see my yellow bump soon! I was so surprised, everything was so laid back. I was 2 cm dilated already so they put me on the monitor, I was having contractions but couldn't feel them & they were irregular so I was given my first 2ml of gel at 12.30 (2 hours after I arrived) Then told to lie on my side for half an hour, then be monitored for another half an hour.... this was taking ages.. I was so impatient! Come on where is my baby! lol. Anyway I started to get this weird uncomfortable feeling in my cervix & then the pains started, my braxton hicks were now painful, I was like "Hallelujah!!" only to be told later that this was not labour! Grr! :hissy: The pains went off so at 6.30pm I was checked again & I was now 3 cm dilated & still getting contractions but not painful or regular so at 7.30pm I got 1ml of gel. Same again.. pains started & went well into the night "hoooray!" .... No joy. They went off at 1.30am so my OH was sent home & I was told to get some sleep.

Next day they came at 8am & checked me, I was 4cm dilated so they said that instead of giving me any more gel they would just break my waters. Wicked! This was it! So waited for the labour ward to come & get me. They came at 11am.

Was settled into my own room & put on the monitor. Everything was ok so they went ahead & broke my waters at 12.pm. My water was green & I was told that at some point throughout my pregnancy my baby had been distressed & had pooed inside me already but baby was now ok but I was convinced I was going to lose my baby & prepared myself. I was devastated. I didn't want to upset my fella though & I never told him or anyone else how I was feeling.

My contractions started almost immediately coming every 6 minutes. They got more & more painful so I went from having gas & air then morphine. I really didn't want an epidural.

After 2 hours my contractions were still every 6 minutes so I was told that I should go on a hormone drip thing to make my contractions come faster & for longer. So they hooked me up on the drip. After about half an hour I knew something was wrong, the midwife kept getting someone in to check the baby's heartbeat. I was off my face on drugs but knew something was happening. They turned off the drip & got a consultant to come in & see me who explained that the baby's heartbeat kept dropping with every contraction but soon picked itself back up again but they were going to take a blood sample from baby's head to test the acid levels to get a clear picture of how distressed baby was. While I was off the drip though my contactions stopped completely & it was clear that I needed the drip to enhance my labour. They took two blood samples from babies head & said they were borderline ok so back on the drip I went with all these people monitoring me.

I'd had enough at this stage & wanted an epidural! Oh what a relief! The pain completely went & I forgot I was in labour! This drip was having a major affect on baby though so they took me off it again & again my contractions stopped. They decided to take another sample of blood from baby, this time it was clear that baby wasn't going to survive labour with the drip but my body needed it so they said I would need an emergency section.. like now!

So they got me to sign my name to some form whilst also telling me that I might have to have a general anaesthetic because although I had an epidural I was due for a top up & by the time they had topped me up it would be too late. They said they would try though so while rushing to theatre this guy was pumping me full of epidural stuff to make me numb. Thank god that by the time I was there I was completey numb.

I had my little man by c section at 22.44pm on 25th October & he weighed 9lb 3.5oz!

Turned out that he was back to back & had the cord around his neck 3 times! There was no way he was coming out the normal route, I just wish we could have found this out earlier & ended his distress. I felt so guilty.

He is perfect though & its not put me off having more children.

Sorry this is so long but it was a long couple of days..

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2974687298_8254fb16a7.jpg?v=0

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2974664792_228df2e9ec.jpg?v=0

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2987322008_0dd4aec3fe.jpg?v=0

wow hun. sounds very scary! but great to hear that both you and bubby are doing well :) You both look great! Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations on your little man! He was born the same day as my LO!! I just wanted to say.. Exactly the same thing happend in my labour although i wasnt induced i went into labour naturally but after 12hours i stuck at 6cm dilated and contractions went irregular so they gave me the drip and within minutes babies heartbeat dropped to 30 and never came back up, I was put to sleep for my c sec because there wasnt time for an epi. I know exactly how you feel and i am still upset and very disapointed at the way my labour went but main thing is.. our babies are here and are now safe!! If you ever want to chat PM me! Congratulations again and lovely photos!

Congrats! Your little boy is absolutely adorable, I'm glad everything went well in the end!

congrats hun hes gorgeous and u look fab x x

sorry u had such a scary birth but glad all is well now x x

Oh hun, you really went through it! I hope that you can start to get past it soon - don't feel guilty though. You're beautiful baby is here safe and sound and what a gorgeous boy he is!! Enjoy him hun x x x

Congratulations xxxx

Im sorry you had such a traumatic labour. Congratulations thought and your little one is adorable!

Another one born on the 25th Oct! There are a few of us now! Anyway huge congrats and sorry you had a rough time but at least you have your gorgeous baby boy in your arms now x

congratulations. lovely pics. xx

God u went thru alot but congratulations he is beautiful!!!xx

awww sounds terrifying im so glad your all ok now congratulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back