Cheap & Easy Recipes

Lara310809

Mum of 3 girls
Reaction score
Hello girls; in all the time I've been on here this is my first visit to the cooking section. That speaks volumes about my cookery skills :blush: I've got to the point though that I really need to sort myself out and actually cook for my family.

We have a shedload of cookbooks, but since we're sort of in transit at the moment with our living situation, they're all in storage, so I can't look up any recipes. I'm therefore Googling everything to find a stack of things I can make. But I've reached a dead end and can't think of anything else to Google.

What I'm looking for are easy recipes (because I seriously cannot cook anything), and ideally cheap to make because we are really stretched for cash. So I'm turning to you lovely ladies in the hope that you can give me some ideas :thumbup:

I don't necessarily need written recipes by the way; I'm more than happy with a list of dishes that I can Google to find out the recipes, so please don't feel pressured to list out ingredients etc if you don't have time. Ideas is all I'm after really :)

Thanks in advance; you will be helping to save my family from a boring routine of pasta, potatoes, fruit and dairy products :winkwink:

These are all the links I have saved, if theyre difficult then I dont save the site!
Hope you find something useful :D

https://www.reallynicerecipes.com/index.php
https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/
https://brokeandstarving.com/
https://www.greatlittleideas.com/

I'm struggling at the moment to come up with different meals too. Now it's winter I can rely on allsorts of casseroles though!

Do you have a slow cooker? I think those recipes are usually cheap. I make chili and stew in mine.

Other than that, the cheapest meat in the market is whole chicken or cuts of bone in skin on chicken, so you could make a lot of oven roasted chicken and have fun with some side dishes.

We get a chicken from the supermarket value ranges, have roast chicken with it then the next day I boil the remainder of the carcass and meat for a few hours and take the bones out, add veggies and potatoes and you have a lovely chicken broth soup that us great for dipping bread and butter in! The chickens tend to cost less than £3 so it's def a bargain!!

Fab idea! Ive just bought a SP chicken and didnt think of making soup with the leftovers!

Thanks ladies - good ideas and I'd never realised how the chicken broth was made; I may have to try that because I love it.

We dont' have a slow cooker, but I've been thinking about getting one because I hear about the things you can make and in all honesty it seems too good to be true; put the food in there, heat it up and leave it :shock: :thumbup: The only thing I worry about is going out while it's on, because I'm petrified of starting a fire while I'm not there. Probably just me being paranoid though.

I found a recipe for spring rolls online and they've just come out of the oven. Trouble was the bottoms of them stuck to the baking paper, so now they're bottomless. Look nice though :D

spicy bean lasagne and baked bean sausage caserole are my fav cheaper meals
L

Try https://www.stayathomemum.net.au australian based website but some awesome, easy cheap recipes!

Thanks ladies - good ideas and I'd never realised how the chicken broth was made; I may have to try that because I love it.

We dont' have a slow cooker, but I've been thinking about getting one because I hear about the things you can make and in all honesty it seems too good to be true; put the food in there, heat it up and leave it :shock: :thumbup: The only thing I worry about is going out while it's on, because I'm petrified of starting a fire while I'm not there. Probably just me being paranoid though.

I found a recipe for spring rolls online and they've just come out of the oven. Trouble was the bottoms of them stuck to the baking paper, so now they're bottomless. Look nice though :D

I worried about that too the first time I used mine, but that is what they are designed for so don't worry about it! We use ours a lot, you can get everything ready the night before, pop it in in the morning and it is ready and yummy when you get home! I don't cook much, but I found that lasagna and casseroles were an easy way to work hard once, but then have food for a few days. Good luck!

i make lasagne, sausage casserole, spag bol, pasta bake(buy a jar of sauce for £1 and then a bag of sp pasta for 18p and garlic bread :D) shepherds pie, chicken stir-fry xx

Almost anything with pasta is quick and cheap. A family favorite is pasta just simply mixed with mayo (or salad cream) and then we either put grated cheese on the top, or mix in tuna too - it's nice hot or cold, but if you eat it cold then you should not mix in the mayo until the pasta is cold. My sisters and I first did this when we attempted (and failed!) to make a cheese sauce. It's also nice with garlic and herb sauce - so if you have any left over from a pizza night chuck it into some pasta! Or pasta with a bit of butter on it is nice too - and nice and gentle if you're ill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->