Choosing to go on the sick instead of maternity

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I was just reading an article that states that the number of people who only take a short maternity then return for a short time then go on the sick for 6 months is rising fast.

I know of 3 people who did this and in a way i am quite shocked that they all got away with it as we all work in the same place. They all went to their doctor claiming they had PND and took 6 months off work full pay instead of just continuing there maternity and being on SMP. I understand that for one, her pay on maternity was half of her norm wage and all three openly admitted to lying about their depression to get the sick note but i still don't think this justify the lies.

I completely understand that there are millions of women who are genuine but this is about the people who openly admit they have lied because they get more money on the sick than maternity.

Did you do this or would you do this?

**This refers to the people who admit they have nothing wrong with them and only did it for the money**

I say more fool the companies who pay them and shame on the DRs who give them a sick note.

The trouble with depression is there can be no physical diagnosis and it is easy to lie about, Ive know people do it to get incap.

I'm a complete mug to be honest. I was paid OMP from work (3 months at half pay after the 6 weeks at 90% pay). This was only paid to me on the condition that I returned to work for a minimum of 12 weeks at the end of my maternity leave. My intention was to return, but my childcare arrangements fell through at the last minute and a nursery isn't financially an option so it seems that I'm liable to now pay this back. Trust me, my heart doesn't sing at the prospect.

A friend suggested that I arrange childcare for a week, go back to work like everything is normal and then sign off sick with stress/depression/back problems (delete as applicable) for the remaining weeks and then hand in my notice. This way I wouldn't have to pay the money back.

Thing is, I just can't. My conscience just wouldn't let me do it - it'd be stealing wouldn't it? Not just the OMP but also the pay I'd be getting while I was off 'sick.' Like I say, I'm a mug!

I say more fool the companies who pay them and shame on the DRs who give them a sick note.

The trouble with depression is there can be no physical diagnosis and it is easy to lie about, Ive know people do it to get incap.

This :thumbup:

alot of people i know of who dont want to work go to the doctors claiming they are depressed and then do not have to work and claim :wacko: i have also known of people claiming they are depressed to get moved out of the 10th floor of a block of flats to a council house!
I have also known people to get a full time job work there for X amount of time whilst ttc then fall pregnant and get to claim maternity pay. :wacko:

There are ways to play the system whatever that will be but its down to the goverment/council/employee/doctors etc to stamp down and make it less able for these not so genuine people out there to get away with it. x

Wow I didnt even know you could do that!!! Im not a mother but I have worked with and heard stories of women who back to back pregnancies so that they are pregnant again by the time they come back from maternity leave and or have no intention of coming back to work but dont say anything until after theyve had full leave.

I feel sorry for the women who are genuinely depressed but think that if therr was better maternity pay then they wouldnt fake a serious condition for extra money.

It can't be that widespread surely? :wacko:

It's not law in the UK that companies have to pay sick pay - and an awful lot don't (I'm a professional and it's been 15 plus years - and 3 separate employers - since I last got sick pay).

I know there are a few companies that after a certain level of service you get 6 months full six months half pay. I do think thats the exception, not the rule though. Ive had everything from no sick pay to 4 weeks full 4 weeks half at best

I know there are a few companies that after a certain level of service you get 6 months full six months half pay. I do think thats the exception, not the rule though. Ive had everything from no sick pay to 4 weeks full 4 weeks half at best

I think it's usually the public sector who pay out the whole 6 months full, six months half, and public sector sick pay has always been abused ......

I remember back in the mid 80's when I worked for a Local Authority and some people literally used to regard 'their' sick allowance as an extension of their holidays :dohh::dohh:

I will try and find the article again and post a link, basically it was saying that due to the current economy new mums are taking drastic steps to save money and this is one step that is increasing.

I am public sector and i get like mentioned above, 6 months full and 6 months half. Since discussing this with friends there have even been teachers who have done this... It not something many will speak about but 'supposedly' it is more wide spread than people think

I get 6 months full, 6 months half.

I had moderate - severe PND with my LO. I took my maternity pay only although I could have gotten signed off on full sick pay - I couldn't do it as I would have been off anyway whether I had PND so effectively it would have been fraud/stealing to claim the extra pay!

This time, I don't intend to go back. I am missing out 12weeks half pay and 6 full weeks holidays as I won't get paid these as I have been honest and told them I'm not going back. I would need to work 12 weeks to get paid these. I could easily go back for a week, tell my doctor I'm depressed and struggling again and have him sign me off but I just couldn't do it! I'd feel terrible. Work have offered me it in a lump sum which would be £2300 if I went back so HUGE but I still can't do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->