Christmas Menu

Amarna

Mother
Reaction score
What's on your menu for Christmas dinner?

I just settled a list for ours and will be shopping for it all this week and early next week. :) I'm doing something a little different this year and am making all the Armenian foods I grew up loving (which can be time intensive to make so they're not regular fare for me) instead of the traditional dinner.

Appetizers:

Roasted red pepper dip
Hummus
Flat bread for dipping
Veggies for dipping
Armenian string cheese
Fresh fruit

Dinner:

Leg of Lamb roast
A small ham (for MIL, who doesn't care for lamb)
Rice pilaf
Choreg Rolls
Yalanchi (stuffed grape leaves)
Roasted veggies (garlic, carrots, peppers, zucchini, etc.)
Might also do stuffing and mashed potatoes for picky family members

Dessert:

Baklava
Halva
Fruit cake (DH's request)
And either a pie or a cheesecake

Drinks:

Red and White Wine
Sparkling grape juice for the kids
Coke
Seltzer
Coffee and Tea

Does that seem like enough food? There's only going to be 6-7 of us but I never feel like I've made enough. :haha:

Sounds like plenty to me! Our menu is always the same, really, just a roast turkey dinner. We don't have appetisers / starters, as I always make way too much of the main and we're always stuffed as it is. Plus I want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. We will have:

Turkey breast joint (usually roast it, but to make it a bit more managable with my rubbish, tiny oven I plan on doing it in the slow cooker this year)
Pigs in blankets
Stuffing
Yorkshire Puddings
Roast potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Veggies (would like to do roasted veg, but due to previously mentioned oven issues, will probably just be boiled carrots and peas!)
Gravy

For dessert:
Christmas pudding with brandy sauce
Belgian chocolate yule log

Will probably get a bottle of wine for the in-laws' benefit (we don't drink it) and some fancy pop, like schloer or similar.

We are moving house in the new year, and the new house has a big range style cooker, with a double oven, can't wait to do Christmas dinner in it next year!

Tomato and dill soup

Roast chicken stuffed with oranges.
Nut roast (for me, the veggie, but everyone will have a bit!)
Homemade chipolata sausages (my OH's job!)
Gravy
Roasted parsnips, Brussel sprouts, honey glazed carrots
Mashed potato
Roast potato

Pavlova for pudding, just ready made as we don't really eat pudding!

Cheeseboard

White, red and rose wine
Shloer
Tea and coffee for afterwards

We are not cooking this year, we have two Christmas dinners (one at my OH's parents and one at mines) - this year we are having party foods for Christmas lunch with my folks, dinner at my OH's parents, then Boxing Day dinner (which is what I posted above) with my parents!

Its just the hubby myself and the kids, we might also invite our elderly neighbours over too if they don't have plans, but we will have;

Roast Turkey
Instead of mashed potatoes i am going to try onion bacon potato's(basically mash potato, bacon, cheese, covered in crispy fried onions and baked) sounds terrible health wise but it wont hurt to go all out on xmas day lol
Stuffing
Roast veggies, plus green beans and corn
bread rolls
gravy
cranberry sauce

Drinks; holiday beer for hubby, wine for myself and sparkling grape juice and soda for the kids.

Deserts are Apple and Pumpkin pies with whipped cream.

Nothing too flash as the kids wont eat it, yours sounds delicious!!

We have a heat wave forecast so we do Christmas dinners a bit different this side if the world!

Various homemade dips, cheese platter, crackers, vegetable sticks, antipasto platter

Roast meats (chicken and glazed ham most likely), seafood on the BBQ (prawns, calamari, salmon), salads (I haven't decided on what but will have 4-5 different ones), roast vegetables

Pavlova (we are picking tayberries, loganberries, silvanberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cherries on Christmas Eve to go in top), fresh fruits (mango, pineapple, peaches), ginger and apple cake my grandmother makes

I had to look up what Pavlova was. It looks delicious! I'm going to try my hand at making it sometime.

I love cooking and don't get to do it much normally. So aside from watching the girls open their gifts in the morning making food in my kitchen is actually my favorite part of Christmas. :)

I miss Pavlova, have tried to make it here a couple of times, when we were in California it turned out ok, but it doesn't work here in Texas as its too humid!

I hope it doesn't get too hot for you skc22! i must admit i don't miss the boiling hot Christmas's in Perth, but i do miss having a BBQ for xmas dinner!!

I hate the heat so I'm hoping it's not too hot either! My oh is from the UK so I lived there for a few years - I loved winter for Christmas! But you can't beat a Christmas BBQ :)

pancakes and waffles for breakfast.

Chocolate for snacks :haha:

Then pate to start

main is - 4 bird roast, mash, roasts, carrot and turnip, cauliflower cheese, parmesan parsnips, peas, yorkshire puddings, stuffing, pigs in blankets, gravy

Pudding (a couple of hours later) is white choc cheesecake or choc gateau.

I have some party food to chuck in the freezer also plus cheese and crackers and pringles etc.

Drinks we have lemonade, cans of coke and diet coke, cans of dr pepper and dandelion and burdock plus squash.
Strawberry and lime cider x 6, Rose x 4, bottles of Stella x 20, cans of Guinness x 10, John Smiths cans x 18.

And I think thats it!

Wow, Your Armenian dinner sounds fab :)

I'd love a seafood bbq christmas dinner too :)

We're in cold, wet Cumbria! So we'll be having beef joint cooked in slow cooker, roast veggies & spuds, stuffing, yorkshires & pugs in blanket :)
For pud we'll have christmas pud with brandy butter, and the kids will have choc log.
We'll also have lots of crackers & stilton in.
For drinks we'll have schloer fir the kids, snowballs (for me!) & port :)

I love the food part of christmas :)

I let my children decide this year. Luckily they choose roast, although I dont eat meat and they chose Chicken but thats fine.

One of them wants to make starter (fruit salad)

Il dona roast with few special extras for us

Youngest is making pudding (cheesecake)

Breakfast - Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs & toast

Chocolate!!

Lunch -

Roast turkey with all the trimmings followed by xmas pud or cheesecake.

Tea - If anyone's hungry, cold meat sandwiches and crisps.

Breakfast: Bake at home croissants, rolls smoked salmon for non veggies. And chocs/clementines from stocking!

Starter: melon slices with pomegranate seeds scattered on top

Main: Butternut squash, fig, walnut and Wensleydale wellington, cranberry and chestnut roast, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sage and onion stuffing, sprouts, carrots, peas, bread sauce, German spiced red cabbage and gravy. Oh and OH still wants a quorn roast!

Pudding: Christmas pud with brandy butter, diabetic mince pies

Evening: Cheese and crackers, part baked rolls and glazed ham, crisps and nibbles, olives, salads and more mince pies and a chocolate yule log!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->