Christmas trees and babies

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
We are going to put the Christmas tree up next weekend and I don't know how I am going to keep it up with my 10 month old around. He is into everything and very drawn to things that he shouldn't have. We haven't really got anywhere to barricade the tree off and he would probably climb over anyway. My daughter was a similar age when we put the tree up when she was a baby and she barely went near it, but I can see my son is going to be VERY interested and destructive!

Sounds exactly like.my son last Christmas, he was nearly 10 months. We got a corner tree (we needed a smaller one as we didn't really have anywhere to put a full tree) and we put it on a cabinet where he couldn't reach it. I'm worried about this year though because he is so much taller and much more defiant when I tell him no!

https://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/kelly1987/IMAG0949_zpsfv01whhz.jpg

We had ours up on a table when ds1 and 2 were small, then just hid a string that we attached to the wall and only put decorations that they couldn't ruin down low with the younger two. I'm not overly bothered if the lower part of the tree looks a bit messy where they've been touching it and moving things though

When my daughter was 15 months last year, we ended up stripping the bottom half of the tree...i.e. Left it bare. She would constantly pull at it and I got fed up picking baubles off the floor. It actually came down two days before Christmas as it was driving me mad....

I'd either get something smaller and out it on a table or consider not having one. I am hoping now she's 2 she will leave it alone, though she is pretty defiant!

Our tree is about 8ft tall so it almost reaches the roof so I couldn't put it on a table.

I am considering buying a small tree so we can keep it on a table top this year!

Put a train going around the bottom that they can play with instead and no decks too low. You can also get those felt trees for the wall for kids to do. No idea if they work tho lol

When dd was around that age, I just decorated from the middle of the tree and up and left what she could reach bare.

I tried blocking the tree off with the toybox last year. It didn't really work as she worked out she could get round it by going past the fire! She wasn't as bad as I thought she would of been though. She is going to be worse this year but I'll keep redirecting her away!

Iam going to have exactly the same issue next week
DD1 wasnt interested at all in the tree. Just liked looking at the lights. DD2 however will definitely go for it!!. I can't put mine on a table either!!. She's also very defiant! . X

We've put our tree up as normal, Poppy keeps trying to pull stuff off of it, but I just keep telling her no and moving her away from it. :dohh: I didn't want to not put one up, and I figured just like with ornaments etc. she's just going to have to learn that you don't play with them! I won't be moving anything up or out of the way in my house, because I wouldn't expect other people to do it when we visit their house.. I think it's the best way to make them learn, even if it is tiring! :haha: X

We are doing this.. So far it's working beautifully!

Attachments

• 1129160756-1.jpg
    1129160756-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm dreading it but I think i'll just continue as normal and hope 'no' and distractions work. Will probably decorate out of her reach :haha:

To be honest, she can't be as destructive as the cat, right? :lol:

:haha: okay so we put our tree up on Sunday and I was worried about our new dog attacking it but no my DD does she keeps taking the baubles off :dohh: so I keep telling her no and putting them back - DS never once touched the tree and he was 10 months for his 1st Christmas and he now helps in telling his sister not to touch the tree :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->