Chromosome results back.

Fiestagal

Reaction score
Connor's chromosome results are back, they show a small deletion in chromosome 12. As yet the report states that it is not known how small the deletion is but they need bloods from H and me. So I've still not got answers. Googling (I know, I know!) does not fit with 'mental delay', he is bright, currently cruising around the furniture, babbling, shouting, understands words - wave, clap hands etc. I hope the deletion turns out to be small and that it doesn't have too many implications for him.

No need to rely, just wanted to type it out.

UPDATE -March 2011
And there doesn't seem to be any major concerns. It turns out H has the same deletion and he's ok (well I suppose that could be debatable!). H was also very small at birth, 5lb 7oz at full term, H is about 5'6 in height now. The Dr. did say people with the same deletion could be affected differently. Connor's deletion hasn't been described by any medical papers so they have no information really although she said people with bigger deletions have been described and can suffer varying learning delay and a bone density problem but that gene isn't missing in Connor's case. Connor causes us no concerns other than his speech so that's a positive.

She is going to meet with us anyway face to face and answer any questions and run through things again. We still have a endocrinology appointment at the end of this month as it has been mentioned numerous times that he could benefit from growth hormone treatment.

MIL is now wondering if her or FIL have the deletion too, but she said as they don't plan on having anymore kids they aren't going to worry about it. LOL

:hugs:

as for Google :ignore: xxxxx

:hugs::hugs: Pesky chromosome 12! We're chromosome 12 too (although Findlay has a duplication of part of it and has tons of issues relating to it).

Connor sounds like he is doing fabulously well with everything he's doing :thumbup:

Thank you everybody. Hopefully we'll have answers soon.

Lottie - Did you and other half get tested too?

Yes we did both get tested and it's my fault. Our geneticist has told us we have a 1 in 2 chance of any future children having the same abnormality as F which is obviously a very big concern for us (especially as F's is so so rare they have no idea what the future holds for him) as I have no idea how on earth I'd cope with 2 severely disabled children.

Try and take heart in the fact that Connor is doing everything he should be for his age from what you've posted :thumbup: Hopefully it won't be too long before you get a better idea of how small the deletion is.

Lottie - :hugs: you shouldn't feel it is your 'fault'.
Connor was slightly delayed in some things, he sat unaided at 11 months for example but does seem to be doing well otherwise.

Interesting. They took blood from Andrew when he was still in NICU (and from me & OH), but I think that was to test for clotting abnormalities rather than any genetic abnormality.

Marleysgirl - we were told the genetic tests would take up to 6 months to come through (microarray testing), but we have had the results in just ver 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->