Chronic ear infections

Willow82

Reaction score
So my DD is on her 3rd ear infection in as little as 5 weeks. Until 5 weeks ago, she had never even had one, then 3 come along at once. She's now on her 3rd course of antibiotics due to green discharge leaking from her ear each time. The doctor wants to see her again on Friday to get a proper look at her ear drum and to check whether it's cleared up. She also mentioned referring her to an ENT clinic. I don't understand why it keeps coming back. Even tonight she's been fiddling with her ear a lot despite being on the antibiotics.

I read that some kids have to have tubes put in their ears under general anaesthetic. I really don't want her to go through that. Has anyone experienced multiple ear infections in a short space of time and did it lead to this procedure?

My baby got it once but water got in his ears during bath time. He had antibiotics. I don't really know about multiple ear infections though. Hope it's sorted soon

Aww, I feel so bad for your baby! This is frequently caused by an allergy (usually dairy). Some babies are prone to ear infections as the tubes in their ears are shorter than most, and it gives the bacteria an easy way in. That being said, a few tips are to take away pacis if she's using them and make sure she's always sitting up to drink. Be careful not to let her get any water in her ears at bath time, even put little cotton balls on the outsides of her ears if need be to keep water from splashing in.

Other than that, it's just something she might have to grow out of, unfortunately. Get her some GOOD probiotics to combat all the antibiotics going into her poor little body. Garden of Life Kids is what I use - It's a powder that I mix into little diluted juice and let my kids go to town. And lots of snuggles.

My oldest was prone to them as a baby. I didn't allow antibiotics (as I caught them very early and had them diagnosed by the dr before they really needed antibiotics) and treated them naturally. After the fourth one, I cut out all dairy. He hasn't had one since! He gets water in his ears, he sleeps with stuffed animals, he sucked his thumb at that age, etc. None of them had caused the infections, although I wanted you to have these tips in case your LO's ear infections aren't caused by an allergy. My son's 5 and has since grown out of the allergy. Good luck. I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Aww, I feel so bad for your baby! This is frequently caused by an allergy (usually dairy). Some babies are prone to ear infections as the tubes in their ears are shorter than most, and it gives the bacteria an easy way in. That being said, a few tips are to take away pacis if she's using them and make sure she's always sitting up to drink. Be careful not to let her get any water in her ears at bath time, even put little cotton balls on the outsides of her ears if need be to keep water from splashing in.

Other than that, it's just something she might have to grow out of, unfortunately. Get her some GOOD probiotics to combat all the antibiotics going into her poor little body. Garden of Life Kids is what I use - It's a powder that I mix into little diluted juice and let my kids go to town. And lots of snuggles.

My oldest was prone to them as a baby. I didn't allow antibiotics (as I caught them very early and had them diagnosed by the dr before they really needed antibiotics) and treated them naturally. After the fourth one, I cut out all dairy. He hasn't had one since! He gets water in his ears, he sleeps with stuffed animals, he sucked his thumb at that age, etc. None of them had caused the infections, although I wanted you to have these tips in case your LO's ear infections aren't caused by an allergy. My son's 5 and has since grown out of the allergy. Good luck. I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks, she does have a dummy, so I will look at reducing when she has it. I will also try cotton balls but I reckon she'll just pull them out.

I got a call from the doctors this evening saying that the swab they took indicates that she's been on the wrong antibiotics, so we've got to pick up a prescription for a different one, which will be her 4th course 😭

I was going to say that three in five weeks sounds like the same one not going away completely, and now you have a specific antibiotic it should clear properly. Good luck, hope she feels better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->