Civil partnership, marriage and parental rights

Mafi419

Reaction score
Hi again :)

I'm a little worried about something and I think that some of you might be able to help me :)

As I understand it, in the UK if I'm in a civil partnership at the time of conception, my partner will automatically have parental rights to my biological child. But the thing is: My wife and I married in Portugal (my country), and in Portugal marriage is equal for everyone (there are no civil partnerships). So we are not technically in a civil partnership but in a marriage. Portugal is European Union, as well as England. Do we have to have a civil partnership in the UK, so that my wife has immediate parental rights over my biological children? Or, because both countries are European Union, our Portuguese marriage has an automatic "equivalence" to a civil partnership?

I know this sounds complicated, just hoping to find someone that, for some reason, knows this :)

I don't know the answer, but if you conceive through a clinic, you sign a form to state that your partner has legal rights anyway, so that may help! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->