Clean eating and exercising

Mum_Of_Roodys

Reaction score
.... and I'm gaining weight faster then before :(
I'm trying so hard to behave and count calories and I've been walking 3+ miles a day and cut out snacks and I'm gaining almost a pound a day :( what's going on :,( I could literally cry right now ! HELP ME PLEASE !

Your body won't behave in the same way as it normally would when you are pregnant. Part of the weight you are putting on is baby, fluid, extra blood volume, the placenta.. it's not just fat! In pregnancy, I personally feel it's more important to seat as healthily as you can and exercise as much as is reasonable for you then worry about actual weight gain. It's more important to have a healthy baby! And it's only 9 months of your life. If you know you are eating well and exercising, then you are building a good base for the rest of your pregnancy, labour and post pregnancy.

I found I really stacked on the weight in the second trimester. I was surprised when I weighed myself. It's significantly slowed down in the 3rd trimester I think - I don't weight myself anymore but go on my appearance & clothes fitting.

If your weight gain genuinely seems excessive from your calorie content- a pound a day seems like a lot if you are walking that much and not eating over the recommended 2000 calories- it could be a sign of gestational diabetes, worth getting checked if you are worried!

If you are eating healthy, gaining weight in pregnancy is not really something you can control. I'm a firm believer that your body knows what it needs to do to make a healthy baby. It's going to gain the weight it needs to. If you are under weight or a healthy weight you are most likely to gain much more than someone who is overweight. Gaining weight in pregnancy is different than gaining weight normally because it's also the weight of the extra blood volume, fluid, placenta, baby, etc. It's not fat on you. I mean some of it might be, but that's what your body needs. Just eat healthy and stay active and try not to worry about the scale. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really important to trust that your body knows what it's doing.

Having said that, the above poster makes a good point that if you are nervous you should get it checked out, because a pound a day is a lot. But are you sure it's not fluctuating with time of day, what you are wearing, what you've eaten, fluid status etc??? You can be a few pounds different between the morning and the evening and that's normal.

I have to agree. If you are eating clean and exercising then it's just your body reacting to pregnancy. My gyn says you can have spurts of growth and losses, so maybe it's just a spurt? Sorry, not very helpful.

The only thing I would suggest is to not cut out snacks. When you go longer between meals it actually encourages your metabolism to slow down and make your meals last longer i.e. store fat. So instead of cutting out your snacks, I suggest replacing them with fruits and veggies. I eat 5-6 times a day.
Breakfast (7am): bowl of honey nut cheerios or a bagel (baby hates eggs unfortunately and i'm too lazy to make kodiak cake waffles anymore lol)
10am snack: either fruit or a string cheese
Lunch (12) and Dinner (7): lean protein with two veggie sides
3pm snack: either fruit or string cheese or a veggie

Luckily, I invested in a Costco membership since SO is a body builder and needs protein galore. So when I buy my fruits and veggies to pair with the meat, everything comes in bulk. Like this week I have a box of plums or bag of corn on the cob and a bundle of bananas I snack on when I get hungry between meals. I don't exercise because it makes me light headed and I walk a lot at work (teacher). And my weight gain has been right along with guidelines.

Great point not to cut out snacks! Yes that does overall slow your metabolism. I've done a few of those clean eating detox plans to boost your metabolism, and it's true (as long as they are healthy snacks) the more you eat, the faster and healthier your metabolism is.

I would definitely talk to an OB/MW about this. It's not normal to be gaining like that. Have you noticed any swelling going on? Headaches? Blurry vision or stars? I'd definitely be concerned about that much weight gain. I've had pregnancies where I've gained a lot, but I was eating crap and sitting around, not exercising and counting calories, and it wasn't close to a pound a day.

Those are great points above. I think you should call. I wasn't really thinking in those terms. There were some weeks the scale would say I was gaining like that, but it turned out to be the time of day, how much fluid I had been drinking, within a few days it was obvious I hadn't actually gained anything at all. I guess I was thinking more along those lines. I think the above poster makes some greats points, I think you should call.

.... and I'm gaining weight faster then before :(
I'm trying so hard to behave and count calories and I've been walking 3+ miles a day and cut out snacks and I'm gaining almost a pound a day :( what's going on :,( I could literally cry right now ! HELP ME PLEASE !

Talk to your doctor but don't stress in the meantime, ok? I know it's hard and seeing yourself gain weight so quickly can be scary. How do your clothes feel? Do you feel like you are mostly gaining in the tummy or do you feel bloated everywhere ? Don't worry--it's probably nothing to worry about!

It's probably nothing I used to have an eating disorder and never quite got over it , I feel fine generally I'm just gaining weight so quickly it's pretty frustrating in the last week I've gained roughly 3-4 lbs which I'm glad to say I've manage to kind of keep stable for the last couple of days by doing more exercises and only eating all healthy food with no treats at all which is really hard because I'm craving cheese and chocolate so bad . I'm kind of hoping it's just a phase that evens itself out but it's just getting to me really badly . All the weight has gone to my boobs belly and thighs too which doesn't particularly help because my thighs make me feel sick anyway lol . I'm going to message my mw on Monday and see what she says about it all . I was just on the " underweight" line to start with so it may just be because I was smaller to start but I really don't want to keep gaining like this or I'll be massive by the end and totally unhealthy :(

Yeah my gyn says look at it overall rather than week by week, but someone brought up a good point on another thread. If you are eating clean and exercising and gaining a lot of weight continuously to ask your gyn because it could be indicative of something. But also if you were underweight then keep in mind I think you are supposed gain more than the 25-35 they recommend for average bmi

It's probably nothing I used to have an eating disorder and never quite got over it , I feel fine generally I'm just gaining weight so quickly it's pretty frustrating in the last week I've gained roughly 3-4 lbs which I'm glad to say I've manage to kind of keep stable for the last couple of days by doing more exercises and only eating all healthy food with no treats at all which is really hard because I'm craving cheese and chocolate so bad . I'm kind of hoping it's just a phase that evens itself out but it's just getting to me really badly . All the weight has gone to my boobs belly and thighs too which doesn't particularly help because my thighs make me feel sick anyway lol . I'm going to message my mw on Monday and see what she says about it all . I was just on the " underweight" line to start with so it may just be because I was smaller to start but I really don't want to keep gaining like this or I'll be massive by the end and totally unhealthy :(

I am sure you are the only one who thinks you look bigger. I had an ED, as well. They can have lasting effects on our psyche. Just try to remember that you are growing a baby and with that comes some weight gain--and it is normal and healthy! Try to remember that this time is not long. When the baby is here and you are cleared to exercise, you can work out...but always exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it 💕

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->