Cleaning pool in preperation for birth

xarlenex

Reaction score
So to save on pennies I plan to use my Dads lazy spa as a birthing pool, its the same height as many of the 'normal' birth pools and holds heat really well. Only problem being that my midwife has made up excuse after excuse to make this homebirth difficult the latest being how to properly clean this pool. I've contacted the manufacturer and they've said it only requires a sponge and warm soapy water but she doesnt seem satisfied with this.

I was wondering what you ladies are cleaning your birth pools with?

I've read someone to use a Milton solution?

Could you deflate it and stick it in the bathtub in a Milton solution?

I've told her after the hot soapy water i'll use milton and still purschasing a liner for it anyway. Shes still not keen but said as long as im willing to accept responsibility from anything that might come from it. Her latest moan is that its not high enough..even though its the same height as 95% of the birth pools available for hiring! :dohh:

Surely the water that's going in it isn't going to be sterile anyway?! As long as you using a sterlising solution, or good disinfectant like Virkon I can't see the problem? :shrug:

Are you only planning to labour in it, or deliver in it too? Probably have less germs in that a hospital!

Delivering in it as well. I really do think shes just trying to put me off, I had an appointment with her yesterday, told her how we'd be cleaning it and now shes telling me she doesnt think the heights appropriate. Its 28" high, which is the same as nearly all the birthing pools available to hire :dohh: she actually got the measuring tape out yesterday, held it up to 28" and said "no way, pools births ive attended before the height easy reaches here" and signalled between her belly button and breasts!! I asked did they have ladders to climb in and out?!

its up to you what you use and how you use it! Tell her this is what you have decided and this is what is happening. Milton is fine, think about the germs on everything else. If you feel like she is trying to put you off you can contact the supervisor of midwifes to express your concerns. It might not even be her that comes out anyway.

She sounds like a right pain in the backside!:dohh: If it were me I wouldn't bother discussing it with her anymore, this is what you are using and you will clean it how you feel appropriate.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->