Clearing breast milk of suspected allergen?

laxobellavida

Reaction score
My baby boy is a week old today. Yesterday, I drank a fruit drink that contained kiwi. I wasn't aware of this but when I had kiwi during pregnancy my mouth got a little itchy. I've never been allergic to anything before pregnancy. I am breast feeding and bottle feeding but I didn't feel comfortable giving him breast milk because of the reaction to kiwi. My question is, how long does it take for my milk supply to be clear of this kiwi, or any food for that matter. I've been pumping since my breasts become engourged.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Irritation can be a sign of other things besides allergy, especially since it was only during pregnancy you noticed this irritation. Acidic things can be very irritating to the sensitive skin of the mouth.

If you were in fact allergic, then only the antibodies will be passed through the breastmilk, and baby's immune system will keep those antibodies for a short time, but in time will start to produce his own based on immediate exposure. Does that make sense? It's kind of a generalization, but I really wouldn't worry.

If you really feel uncomfortable feeding your son that milk, I don't think you'd have to wait more than 6 ish hours before the kiwi has been digested and metabolized :)

I've always got a bit of a tingly mouth if I eat an over ripe kiwi but I never even considered not bfing due to this. I even bf when I had stomach bugs. Not everything we eat is transfered to breastmilk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->