Clogged ducts or engorgement? please help!

menageriemom

Reaction score
Today is day 3 and DS has been nursing very well. Milk just came in fully yesterday afternoon. I BF'ed DD for 17 months so I am familiar with good latching etc.

The inner part of both breasts (inner half from bottom to top) feels hard and lumpy, a little tender but not bad, not hot - but it only mildly gets better after feeding and doesn't take long to go back to being hard. Is this normal engorgement or is there something else wrong? I don't remember it being this localized before.

Thanks for any advice!

I honestly can't remember exactly but it just sounds like engorgement from your milk just coming in. If you are allowed (I know you usually have to wait a while after birth) try to go get in a warm bath and drape a warm washcloth over your breasts. You can do it in the shower too but i just found the bath easier. Then try to feed or express after. I know sometimes I would get so full I just had to get things moving. Even when DS would feed it would only help a little because at this age they honestly don't eat much.

If there are localized hard spots then you probably have some clogs. Try massaging or using a warm compress before nursing, or cabbage leaves in your bra. Do you have any signs of oversupply?

Thanks ladies, I am just terrified of ending up with mastitis. I had a vaginal birth so I could take a bath right away, just did a hot hot shower while DH got DS ready and he fed for much longer than normal and although still a little hard I feel a lot better. Also wearing a looser shirt to bed tonight. I had a notable oversupply last time early on, too. Will get some cabbage tomorrow!

I'm glad the shower + nursing helped! Compressions and massage while nursing could help too if you're not already doing those. Especially if LO is falling asleep before he's had much to eat. Block feeding can help with oversupply if that seems to be an issue. And I'm sure you already know this since you clearly understand how BF works, but don't pump any more than absolutely necessary.

cabbage can help but be aware if you overdo it, it can dry up your supply.

and i agree with warm washcloths, they feel so good!

i actually enjoyed just taking an extremely hot shower and letting the water hit my boobs. it was a little painful at times but with gentle massaging was worth it.

I feel a lot better today, still engorged but it's not as lumpy feeling. I definitely have to watch what I pump, that was a fault of mine last time and I overdid it in the first couple weeks. I've pumped about an total of 3oz since being home just to relieve pain so I hope thats enough to not make a huge difference.

I've had loads of plugged ducts in the last six months and I've dealt with them successfully but this one I've had for a day is particularly hard to get rid of. It's not emptying!!! :( I've tried it all: hot compress, gentle and then hard massage etc, it's not working. Help!! Any more suggestions? I'm terrified of mastitis, I really want to get rid of this one. Thanks so much for any advice!

I wish I could give you some advice! You may want to start your own thread for better exposure. Maybe a long hot shower, and massage below the clog to "clear the path"? I found it easier to massage while I pumped but that may be because I'm nursing a newborn.

How are you doing now, ginger? I hope things are better. You are doing everything right, just keep working at it. The best way to get rid of it is to have LO suck it out, so keep nursing! I've read somewhere that an ultrasound can break it up if all else fails.
And for the recurrent clogs, you could consider taking a lecithin supplement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->