Clogs

addy1

Mom of 3!
Reaction score
Does anyone else get frequent clogs? I successfully b'fed my two daughters without clogs, but get one every week with my son. He is almost 9 months old! I switch positions, changed my nursing bras, and basically everything else they suggest. The clogs are very painful. I am thinking it is just the way he latches on, but it is really frustrating to have to try and unclog them every week! Especially when it can take me up to two days to get out the clog.

Anyone else have this problem?

I don't know what you mean actually..! Clogs? Like, in your breast milk??!

Yes, this happened to me for a few months. It was really stressful. Haven't been getting them lately... Knock wood

I suffered with them quite a few times with my first son and am now breastfeeding my 4 month old son. I had a blocked duct a few weeks ago and the memories quickly came back of how horrible they are!!! I had really hot baths and expressed whilst in the bath but it didn't seem to help much. I read online about using a heat pad so I put one of those pads you stick to your clothes if you have a bad back in my bra and it really helped. It kept my breast really warm and then I expressed a few times and it cleared. Will def try the heat pad again when I get the next one!!

I also read online that if you get a white spot on your nipple thats where the duct is blocked (I always have a white spot when I have a blocked duct), I think it was called a milk bleb or something. Apparently the skin grows over the duct causing the outlet to be blocked or reduced which causes a backlog of milk to build up further up in the breast. I tried to remove the white spot when I had the blockage. It recommended to lightly exfoliate the nipples in the shower with a flannel (wash cloth) or similar regularly to stop the skin building up to try and prevent blocked ducts. I have just realised I have forgotten to follow this advice, must get exfoliating to prevent more as they are so horrible!

Hope you feel better soon.

I am not really sure what else to do. He eats all the time! So I can't understand why the plugged ducts keep happening. I must get one a week, if not more. So frustrating!

I also get the milk bleb or blister frequently leading to a clogged duct. I pop them with a sterile needle and heat the breast frequently and they usually clear pretty fast. Super annoying though!

Yes, I am prone to them too. One thing you can do to help is take lecithin supplements. My lactation consultant recommended this to me and it really does help. I take them every day for "maintenance" and up the dose when I start to get a clog. I take sunflower lecithin, but other kinds are available. You can order online from Amazon.

More info here:
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"