Cloth at night - waking coz he's wet :(

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
LO is dry overnight most of the time but I've had a couple of nights recently where he has wet overnight. I think it's Upset him as one night he wouldn't settle for hours, I changed his nappy as a last ditch effort & he calmed right down. It was pretty soggy in the front but not totally soaked all round. I'd guess 1 pee possibly 2 small ones. After this happening twice now and a change of bum settling him I've put him in a sposie tonight so he won't feel the wetness.

I use thick fleece liners & I don't think there's anything else j can do - is there??

I feel like we've taken a step back and really don't want to stop him knowing if he's pee'd or not.

Have you tried putting an extra booster at the main wet zone, so at the front? And what nappies are you using? If it's bamboo (or hemp or cotton), you could try putting a microfibre booster on top of the bamboo. Natural fabrics are more absorbant but microfibre wicks the wee away faster, so a good combination is a nappy of mainly bamboo with a layer of microfibre and then fleece on top of that. The fleece will wick the wee away quickly initially, the microfibre will quickly absorb it and draw it into the nappy and then the bamboo will hold on to the wee well for ages. If the nappy you're using it just microfibre, microfibre can squish the wee out when it's wet, a bit like a sponge, so although it will absorb quickly, the compression can cause it to go back towards baby's skin.

Here's a technique that workedd o all mine, getting them reliably dry, but even if there were accidents, they didn't matter!

Getting dry at night

Very often once a child is dry in the day, dry at night follows pretty well straight away. However, if you are having problems, here’s a technique you might like to try.

Most children will be dry for most of the night, but will wee on waking. Children will often use a nappy just because it’s there, so put your child to bed with nothing at all on their lower half. With nothing on, they often shoot out of bed onto the potty as soon as they start to wake.

Firstly, make your child’s bed in the normal way. Then, over the top of the bottom sheet, place a waterproof sheet across the bed, under the nappy area. On top of this place a thick bath sheet, and over the top of that, place a cot sheet. This draw sheet system is easy to remove and deal with in the morning, should an accident occur!

Secondly, reduce the amount of fluid intake for a couple of hours before bedtime.

Thirdly place your child’s potty right beside the bed, and make sure he knows it’s there!

Fourthly, lift your child onto the potty when you go to bed. They don’t usually really wake up, but usually will perform!

If this technique works, you will probably not need to lift your child for more than a couple of weeks, as he will quickly learn the signs of a full bladder, and wake himself

He was dry again last night I think (used a sposie so it's hard to tell)

I normally use a bamboo little lamb size 2 & fold the booster so it's triple thickness in his wee spot - when he has been wet it's only just soaked to the outer of the nappy. Will try adding microfibre cloth under the fleece liner.

Little pants - thanks for the advice; I've not done any potty training at all yet he got himself dry at night. I do pop him on a potty when I get him up but only to save washing a nappy. Will come back to this tips though when HD understands more what s potty is & is in a bed not a cot

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->