Cloth-Bummed Booby Babies PCM?

B

birdiex

I was just talking to a friend and she said her daughter costs her 200-300 Pounds per month, but she wears disposable diapers and drinks formula. I just wondered out of interest if there's any sizeable difference in how much your babies cost if they're in reusables and breastfeeding?

Just out of interest :)
Hope people don't mind me ducking in to ask!

I spend very little on LO per month. Clothes either hand downs or if really need something i love charity shop and car boot bargains! Nothing on milk as breast fed and nothing on nappies so i guess apart from the extra washing powder (which is very little 1/4 of what you usually use) my outlay next to nothing

Wow really? I looove boot sales and charity shops, they truly are little treasure troves if you look well enough. There seems to be a massive difference then in cost, that's interesting! So many people moan about the cost of nappies and milk, it's amazing breast-feeding and cloth-nappy-ing makes such a huge difference!

Thanks for the reply hun xx

Obviously you have the outlay for nappies beforehand but we were buying 1 or 2 a month from our 12week scan and quite few those second hand so around £10-£20 a month.

That's exactly what I'd do, buying a couple every month beforehand. But £10-£20 a month?! That's less than I spend on crap at co-op LOL! xx

well aside from feeding my nappy addiction, LO costs nothing really. But I have been stocked up on clothes up to 6 months from buying in pregnancy and gifts and once he goes into 6 month plus then i will have to start buying some (i have a bit from gifts and such already) but i have LOTS of hand me downs i could use except i dont want to! :lol: and he will be weaning soon (he already has carrot sticks and celery and the like for tastes while we eat) and because we are doing BLW he wont cost any extra because he will eat what we eat! So the only things i buy for LO are completely unnecessary things that i fancy buying like cute new nappies or cute clothes i see that he doesnt need or toys that he doesnt need! :haha: but because we use reuseables and breastfeed, there is never any time I NEED to spend money. So if we are skint, LO never goes without or we dont go without anything to fund LOs things iykwim. The only necessary expense i suppose is the initial nappy stash costs (but that is all included in your initial baby costs if you buy while pregnant, like prams and things) and clothes but as you say, they can be super cheap. I only ever shop at asda and tesco and cheap places, i leave the next and debanhams things to SIL for gifts! :haha: Child benefit and child tax creds MORE (way more) than pays for our expenses!

I didn't really spend anything on him when he was tiny as we were given most of the clothes and had already bought enough nappies to keep us going. Oh I lie.. I spent maybe £1 a week on cotton wool! Now that he's older my milk bill has gone up with the
cereal that he eats.. but for food he eats what we do or spares that I have frozen.

we use cloth nappies, we breastfeed, and i use washable wipes at home (bottom & weaning mess) and disposable wipes out and about (i never know how many washable ones to take out with me)

So after the initial outlay (approx £400 inc some nice wipes)

Q costs me about £5 a month and thats just the cost of a couple of packets of wipes and maybe £50 or so on clothes every 2-3 months. (love buying second hand bundles and charity shops)

Also wit nappies, councils often give help with buying cloth. If you're on a budget, start off with as may as you can afford, and discipline yourself to put 20p in a jar every time you use a washable (that's what a disposable would cost) You'll soon have saved enough to but=y more washables, so in fact the washables will cost you nothing but your original purchase, and it's possible the council will refund that amount!

forgot to add as we also Baby led wean the cost of food for LO is absorbed into our normal food shopping! :thumbup:

Leyla is formula fed and that costs us about £14 a week, not including buying bottles, new teats etc, so it's not cheap!

I have spent a lot on cloth nappies but if I was only doing it for environment, cost and baby-bum-health reasons, I would have spent around £150 on a full stash of day nappies (you can get plenty of Flips or Econobums for that) plus a couple of night nappies so maybe £175 in total. Unfortunately, I love pretty nappies so it has cost me more than that! You spend less on nappy creams when using cloth nappies too and I've only ever had to throw clothes away due to horrible nappy explosions when using disposables. If we were using disposables, we would use eco nappies at about 15p each. We would use about 7 nappies a day so that would be £7.35 a week. Depending on what brand we used, disposables could be as little as £4.41 a week for Tesco cheapies, or £9.80 for Huggies. It would have been more when LO was younger. It's worth noting that I would change a disposable nappy more often than a cloth nappy because LO gets bad nappy rash in them.

For clothes, you could easily clothe your baby cheaply but I think most mums would admit to spending more on baby clothes than their own clothes! If you wanted to keep costs down, you could buy simple supermarket vests and sleepsuits, plus a couple of trousers, jackets/cardigans, hats and socks. Even when baby is growing fast, I think you could do that for £20 a month.

Toys can cost a lot too, but babies are just as happy to play with household stuff like some rice in a tupperware box with the lid stuck down so you don't need to spend anything on toys.

Also wit nappies, councils often give help with buying cloth. If you're on a budget, start off with as may as you can afford, and discipline yourself to put 20p in a jar every time you use a washable (that's what a disposable would cost) You'll soon have saved enough to but=y more washables, so in fact the washables will cost you nothing but your original purchase, and it's possible the council will refund that amount!

Im going to do that! Good idea ;)

my boys are only partly in cloth at the moment so we still bed about £20-30 a month on disposables ( this is down to a small nappy stash and even less drying space lol ) and wipes when we are fully in reusables and flushable liners will probably cost me less than £5 a week and i have to talk DH into using eco sposies for nights and trips out rather than normal spoies but it will be a pack of those in each size each month for the boys when that happens so probably £35 a month max for everything for the boys as ds1 eats and drinks what we do and ds2 is breastfed

I am actually amazed at how little it really does cost! It's sad that not everyone gets a proper education on cloth-bumming and breast-feeding, the amount of pollution we'd avoid and the amount of money people would save! :O

i cloth bum, bf and baby led wean. costs me nothing each month and i only spent £60 on my nappies.

I spent £90 on my full set of Flips and inserts and recently bought £20 of ebay cheapies because they are pretty! I guess there were some costs in the early days of bfing - nursing bras and Lansinoh (that stuff is a bloody godsend) but no more than £40 for me. Not bad, eh?

PS clothes-wise - watch out on freecycle, people give away bundles of clothes a lot!!

I have spent a fortune on nappies :blush: but I havent needed to really, I got addicted to pretties :blush: INitally I think my stash of about 18 reuseables cost something like £200. I cant count the £ I spend every month on buying pretties because theyre not necessary really, like buying myself clothes lol!
I have spent more money on buying nice food since LO has been weaned, he is BLW'd but I try to get nicer and more varied stuff these days! Plus me and OH would just live off what was in cupboards etc or go to the chippy :haha: whereas now I tend to make more proper meals so that means more frequent food shopping.

I suppose I spent about £100 on breastpumps and bottles and the like, but I havent bought anything like that for months. So his milk has cost very little on average PCM :)

I buy him a few bits of clothes now and again but he has TONS because we ahve been given so much, way more than he could ever wear! (I'll be putting bundles on ebay soon lol!) But lately my parents have been paying for this (because I'm now on unpaid leave and skint :( )

I would tot it up on average pcm but Im too embarrassed to work out how much I've spent on cloth nappies :blush:

In theory K should be cheap as chips BUT i've got a weakness for pretty nappies and clothes :rofl:

He's breastfeed apart from one bottle in the evening- I buy aptimil cartons and it works out to £3 a week, so based on using an average of one tub of formula a week if he was bottle fed at £9 a go, I reckon I save £6 a week. And so I put that £6 into a pot... and figure i'll treat myself to something with the money when I finish bf'ing, whenever that may be, as a reward to myself for persevering through the hellish first few weeks :happydance:

I use one or two disposies at night, so one pack lasts me at least a fortnight, and I buy the Little Eco ones which are cheaper than huggies and pampers anyway. When he stops crapping ten times a night i'll move him into cloth full time :rofl: I've spent a fortune on my stash, buuuut that's cos i'm a sucker for cute cloth and even if I don't have another babba, i'll make a lot of it back selling them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->