Cloth diaper virgin! Please help :)

Kezzybear

Reaction score
Hi wonderful ladies! I feel very overwhelmed. This is my first baby and I would like to cloth diaper/nappy(I'm Australian). Could you answer a few questions for me?

What type are best for newborns? Should I just use prefolds? Until what age?

When would I use these different types of nappies? Pockets, all in ones or all in twos? Which is better or do you prefer?

What type of nappies need a cover? And why?

I'm planning on trying a few different brands, but what are your favourites/most reliable? I hope to hear from Aussie mums too!

What do you use to wash yours? Some brands say 1/2 normal detergent, some people use dish washing liquid etc. it's confusing. Is there one product i can use for all brands?

I hope this isn't too much to answer, thanks so much!

For newborns I think fitteds with covers are best. Fitteds or flats (prefolds, terries) are better for containment as they have two layers around the legs and are generally more absorbent, but I prefer fitteds over flats as you don't need to fold them. That makes them slightly less adjustable but as you have a cover as well, you still have two chances to get the fit perfect so it's usually good enough. Many people do use one-part nappies (AIOs, AI2s, pockets etc) on newborns and manage fine, but I'd say they are less likely to be 100% successful. I do think it's worth getting mostly fitteds (or flats) plus a few other types to try/play with/use for showing off/babysitters etc.

When would I use these different types of nappies? Pockets, all in ones or all in twos? Which is better or do you prefer?

One parters would generally be used during the day. Fitteds would be better overnight for reasons above. I suppose really, you might want it the other way round - one parters when you're fumbling in the dark - but I think reliability is the most important factor overnight because wet sheets are not fun.

We used more newborn sized one-parters in the first couple of days when LO wasn't weeing huge amounts and poos were small and sticky (so stayed in a coin sized splat in the middle of the nappy). After that, I kept them for when LO needed a clean nappy for just an hour (e.g. an hour before bath time) and I had a couple in the changing bag in case I ran out of clean fitteds when out.

When LO is big enough to move to the next size or one size nappies, you're far more likely to be successful with one-parters during the day as they're bigger so can hold a lot more. We've always used fitteds overnight and for naps when possible, as well as in the car.

If you want them to be waterproof, fitted nappies and flat nappies like prefolds need a cover. You can use them without but the wee will soak through to the outside of the nappy fairly quickly. That's okay in the garden but probably not ideal on granny's best sofa!

I'm planning on trying a few different brands, but what are your favourites/most reliable? I hope to hear from Aussie mums too!
You are lucky in Aus, you have some great nappy makers over there! I love Baby BeeHinds - their night nappies are great for babies who wee a lot overnight. Their day fitteds are good all-rounders and their Petite AI2s are amazingly slim yet absorbent nappies. I like Designer Bums Night Nappies too (huge but perfect for heavy wetters). Itti are always popular as well - I love the Bitti Boo although I don't think it's a real night nappy (more for daytime naps). Baby Chilli makes beautiful nappies that worked really well on my LO. You have Bambooty too - another great brand.

Other brands I like a lot are Blueberry (some nappies may be called Swaddlebees but they're changing to Blueberry), bumGenius, Thirsties, Babykicks, Bummis, Sloomb, Close, Little Lamb, GroVia... I could go on all day :)

What do you use to wash yours? Some brands say 1/2 normal detergent, some people use dish washing liquid etc. it's confusing. Is there one product i can use for all brands?
There are no hard and fast rules for washing nappies and anybody who tells you otherwise doesn't understand the many different factors at play. Your machine, your nappies, the water, the detergent, the wash temperature, your environmental choices, even your LO's poo make a difference! You can get detergents formulated for nappies which are designed to rinse cleaner than standard detergents, which are generally made to linger in clothes to make them look brighter (optical brighteners) and give you that lovely 'fresh' fragrance.

If using a nappy detergent, start with the recommended dose for your water type and go from there. If nappies don't seem clean enough, use a bit more. If they smell of detergent use a bit less and/or rinse more.

If using a standard detergent, don't use fabric softener but most other detergents will be fine - some things like fragrance will void some warranties but shouldn't really harm the nappies unless you don't rinse them out properly. I'd start with less than recommended, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 dose and see what happens with one extra rinse. If they're not clean (you'll be able to tell as soon as they come out!) re-wash with a bit more. If they smell of detergent or the rinse water is sudsy, rinse again and use less next time you wash. It's a balancing act - obviously you want the nappies clean but you don't want residues lingering.

For newborns I think fitteds with covers are best. Fitteds or flats (prefolds, terries) are better for containment as they have two layers around the legs and are generally more absorbent, but I prefer fitteds over flats as you don't need to fold them. That makes them slightly less adjustable but as you have a cover as well, you still have two chances to get the fit perfect so it's usually good enough. Many people do use one-part nappies (AIOs, AI2s, pockets etc) on newborns and manage fine, but I'd say they are less likely to be 100% successful. I do think it's worth getting mostly fitteds (or flats) plus a few other types to try/play with/use for showing off/babysitters etc.

One parters would generally be used during the day. Fitteds would be better overnight for reasons above. I suppose really, you might want it the other way round - one parters when you're fumbling in the dark - but I think reliability is the most important factor overnight because wet sheets are not fun.

We used more newborn sized one-parters in the first couple of days when LO wasn't weeing huge amounts and poos were small and sticky (so stayed in a coin sized splat in the middle of the nappy). After that, I kept them for when LO needed a clean nappy for just an hour (e.g. an hour before bath time) and I had a couple in the changing bag in case I ran out of clean fitteds when out.

When LO is big enough to move to the next size or one size nappies, you're far more likely to be successful with one-parters during the day as they're bigger so can hold a lot more. We've always used fitteds overnight and for naps when possible, as well as in the car.

If you want them to be waterproof, fitted nappies and flat nappies like prefolds need a cover. You can use them without but the wee will soak through to the outside of the nappy fairly quickly. That's okay in the garden but probably not ideal on granny's best sofa!

You are lucky in Aus, you have some great nappy makers over there! I love Baby BeeHinds - their night nappies are great for babies who wee a lot overnight. Their day fitteds are good all-rounders and their Petite AI2s are amazingly slim yet absorbent nappies. I like Designer Bums Night Nappies too (huge but perfect for heavy wetters). Itti are always popular as well - I love the Bitti Boo although I don't think it's a real night nappy (more for daytime naps). Baby Chilli makes beautiful nappies that worked really well on my LO. You have Bambooty too - another great brand.

Other brands I like a lot are Blueberry (some nappies may be called Swaddlebees but they're changing to Blueberry), bumGenius, Thirsties, Babykicks, Bummis, Sloomb, Close, Little Lamb, GroVia... I could go on all day :)

There are no hard and fast rules for washing nappies and anybody who tells you otherwise doesn't understand the many different factors at play. Your machine, your nappies, the water, the detergent, the wash temperature, your environmental choices, even your LO's poo make a difference! You can get detergents formulated for nappies which are designed to rinse cleaner than standard detergents, which are generally made to linger in clothes to make them look brighter (optical brighteners) and give you that lovely 'fresh' fragrance.

If using a nappy detergent, start with the recommended dose for your water type and go from there. If nappies don't seem clean enough, use a bit more. If they smell of detergent use a bit less and/or rinse more.

If using a standard detergent, don't use fabric softener but most other detergents will be fine - some things like fragrance will void some warranties but shouldn't really harm the nappies unless you don't rinse them out properly. I'd start with less than recommended, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 dose and see what happens with one extra rinse. If they're not clean (you'll be able to tell as soon as they come out!) re-wash with a bit more. If they smell of detergent or the rinse water is sudsy, rinse again and use less next time you wash. It's a balancing act - obviously you want the nappies clean but you don't want residues lingering.

Wow thanks! Such detailed advice! I really appreciate your help. That all makes a little more sense now :) it's nice to hear we have some good brands over here :)

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along but thanks for taking the time xxx

I won't answer all of the basics as Rachel did above but I will mention some things in terms of your routine.

Firstly, you can use anything you want that doesn't include fabric softener. If you are ok with fragrance, it's fine and won't build up or anything of that nature. A lot of people who use free and clear detergents use scent crystals because they like them.

Along that same vein--if you use something with fragrance, it will smell of detergent when coming out of the wash. That's normal and the point of the fragrance in the first place. Some babies have a sensitivity to fragrance, some don't. It's really just a matter of preference or necessity whether you use it or not.

Extra rinsing is not necessary unless your diapers feel soapy or slimy--I PROMISE! Detergent is made to rinse away, read up on the science of the stuff. Yes, fragrance and optical brightners can linger--but provided babes doesn't have a sensitivity to fragrance, neither of those elements (along with enzymes) will affect your diaper laundry with ANY smells or absorbancy issues.

Next is the detergent dose issue. Funny thing in the CD community is that one method of "stripping" entails a full dose of detergent to REMOVE DETERGENT BUILD UP. Does that make any sense to you? No. And it shouldn't because it doesn't logically make any sense at all. In truth, you are just cleaning the darn things better than you were before, again, I PROMISE. Another thing that has never made sense is using least amount of detergent to clean the dirtiest, most bacteria laden and toxic items in your laundry. Oh man. I won't rant, but I want to! haha

Using too little detergent may not make issues arise for some time, but it generally does, eventually, for most. Ask around to any CD momma who successfully washed and used diapers with 1tsp to a max of 2 tbsp detergent without ever having to strip at least once. I bet that number is VERY LOW to non-existent. Trust me when I say that they likely strip throughout the year.

Anyone who strips as a preventative has something wrong in her routine.

Your diaper laundry need not require meticulous monitoring and increasing detergent by bits and bits or taking away bits and bits. Use the max amount for heavily soiled laundry--your diapers ARE heavily soiled, after all! If you use plant derived detergent it MUST be washed in hot to work properly. All other standard powders/liquids don't matter as much. Add a water softener if you have hard water, and that is it.

My cycle takes about 2 hours in the wash. I have a front loader and very hard boarding on extremely hard water. I use 1-2tbsp scented, enzyme, optical brightner laden detergent (that has one of the best ratings and is even recommended by some cloth companies) in the pre wash and then 4-5tbsp same detergent with 2 tbsp water softener in the main wash with one extra rinse attached to the cycle. Some agitation bubbles remain in the washer when I'm done, but not lots, and my dipes are never soapy. I dry all of the microfiber inserts on medium and hang the shells. I have never stripped and I will be sure to mention it *if* i ever have to. 8-9 months in now, so potentially 1/4 done my CD journey with my LO already and not one single MAJOR issue!

Best of luck, and everyone is here to help!

Using too little detergent may not make issues arise for some time, but it generally does, eventually, for most. Ask around to any CD momma who successfully washed and used diapers with 1tsp to a max of 2 tbsp detergent without ever having to strip at least once. I bet that number is VERY LOW to non-existent. Trust me when I say that they likely strip throughout the year.

I am one of those annoying people who use a tiny amount of washing powder, do extra rinses pre- and post-wash, and have never had any need to strip or bleach - no smells, no repelling, no leaks (except when I didn't fit the nappy on properly), no unexplained nappy rashes on baby. I'm 20 months into using cloth. It's doable. As Rachel says, there are many different factors at play and no hard and fast rules.

Other than that, I second fitteds with wraps for runny newborn poo and night nappies. I love having the peace of mind knowing that no matter how much my toddler wriggles around in her sleep, before bed or upon waking (we bedshare and going down and waking up are party times), I won't have to change the whole bed.

Thank you both of you! I will keep that in mind! I'm excited to start my CD journey xx

I am one of those annoying people who use a tiny amount of washing powder, do extra rinses pre- and post-wash, and have never had any need to strip or bleach - no smells, no repelling, no leaks (except when I didn't fit the nappy on properly), no unexplained nappy rashes on baby. I'm 20 months into using cloth. It's doable. As Rachel says, there are many different factors at play and no hard and fast rules.

Other than that, I second fitteds with wraps for runny newborn poo and night nappies. I love having the peace of mind knowing that no matter how much my toddler wriggles around in her sleep, before bed or upon waking (we bedshare and going down and waking up are party times), I won't have to change the whole bed.

Well, one thing is for sure--you're the first person I've met to say as such. And I've been researching, reading, and speaking with other cloth mom's so much in the past year or two, it's practically a new hobby, as lame as that may sound, lol.

I wonder though, what with using such a teeny amount of detergent, why use detergent at all? Can I have some of your magic water? That and your detergent combo is referred to as unicorn piss amongst my crowd and we're def paying top dollar. :winkwink:

In all seriousness though, I honestly wouldn't bother with detergent at all if I was using 5 ml to wash anything, much less diapers.

Adrie, I don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to pronounce. If you fancy eating detergent by the plateful, by all means go for it, but leave people who don't alone, thank you very much.

Really, I'm just a little too real for a few people round here and it probably makes them uncomfortable. Not one to scoot and skim across an issue. People either love that about me, and appreciate the genuineness and honesty of my nature, or they hate it, and don't like me.

Meh. So it is. :coffee:

Have yet to see one who loves it, at least on here. I probably shouldn't have said that.

Anyway OP, try not to get overwhelmed. It isn't so difficult as it might now seem. Any washing issues you encounter can be resolved with tweaking of your routine. I won't answer all your questions, since Rachel did a lovely job and she is the expert aroumd here!

But I will say this... Try some different brands/types before you buy a whole stash! I spent a crap load of money in the beginning on Softbums and ended up hating them (though many moms love them). For us, we just loved the convenience of all in ones. I never tried prefolds, but they are a good budget friendly option. My favorite diapers are Blueberry Simplex (especially for newborns) and Tot Bots. They are worth a try for sure!

Still trying to sell my last two Softbums... :dohh:

Kezzie have you bought your dipes yet? I know you shouldn't buy too many of one type before you know what kind works for you, But my hubby ordered me 20 of the Alva Baby color snaps with double gussets, square crossover tabs, 2 pocket openings and snap in inserts for $127 from aliexpress (which is where Alva's are made in China). They are pocket diapers and I'm going to get some charcoal bamboo inserts for doubling up if I need to. My hubby knows about that site from work. Anyway, I only wanted 6 to start with but he was like lets order 20 and be done with it, lol. I have heard nothing but good reviews on those. They're are four rows of snaps on the rise instead of 3 so you get more size options, from extra-small to large, and I've heard lots of people say they'll fit a newborn, they'll just look abit big and bulky. I'm new to all this too, and can't wait to get started. I got some bumgenius cloth wipes too, I was going to use disposable wipes but heard it's much easier to throw them in the diaper pail with the diapers instead of having to keep wipes and diapers seperate to throw away wipes. I'm following along for more tips and advice, thanks for the thread!

Cloth wipes are great - keep an eye on offers and you can get them really cheaply sometimes. As you said, put them in the pail with the nappies and wash them all together, and if you run out of wipes before the last wash lot has dried, you can just pick them off the line and use them because they'll get wet again anyway. I love the ones with a scrubby surface because they make cleaning pooey bum so much easier. There's a type that has terry cotton on one side and fleece on the other. You can also get all terry cotton, all bamboo, all fleece, muslin or even all microfiber ones. These last ones are the only ones I hated, they got downgraded to dusters within two days. Another plus of cloth wipes is that you can use as many as you like when cleaning up a baby after a poo without feeling that you are throwing away money.

Oooh yes, the two sided wipes are amazing. I think mine are flannel on one side and cotton terry on the other. They are small- a little larger than hand size- which is perfect and they stack without folding in a cloth wipes warmer (my LO is a bit spoiled that way). I have always used them with just plain water- nothing else.

Have yet to see one who loves it, at least on here. I probably shouldn't have said that.

Anyway OP, try not to get overwhelmed. It isn't so difficult as it might now seem. Any washing issues you encounter can be resolved with tweaking of your routine. I won't answer all your questions, since Rachel did a lovely job and she is the expert aroumd here!

But I will say this... Try some different brands/types before you buy a whole stash! I spent a crap load of money in the beginning on Softbums and ended up hating them (though many moms love them). For us, we just loved the convenience of all in ones. I never tried prefolds, but they are a good budget friendly option. My favorite diapers are Blueberry Simplex (especially for newborns) and Tot Bots. They are worth a try for sure!

Still trying to sell my last two Softbums... :dohh:

Thanks love! I'll definitely get a few different types x

Kezzie have you bought your dipes yet? I know you shouldn't buy too many of one type before you know what kind works for you, But my hubby ordered me 20 of the Alva Baby color snaps with double gussets, square crossover tabs, 2 pocket openings and snap in inserts for $127 from aliexpress (which is where Alva's are made in China). They are pocket diapers and I'm going to get some charcoal bamboo inserts for doubling up if I need to. My hubby knows about that site from work. Anyway, I only wanted 6 to start with but he was like lets order 20 and be done with it, lol. I have heard nothing but good reviews on those. They're are four rows of snaps on the rise instead of 3 so you get more size options, from extra-small to large, and I've heard lots of people say they'll fit a newborn, they'll just look abit big and bulky. I'm new to all this too, and can't wait to get started. I got some bumgenius cloth wipes too, I was going to use disposable wipes but heard it's much easier to throw them in the diaper pail with the diapers instead of having to keep wipes and diapers seperate to throw away wipes. I'm following along for more tips and advice, thanks for the thread!

Hi Hun, I haven't brought any yet! Every time I narrow it down, I find something else :) I'm definitely going to try lots of different brands and types and take it from there.
I'll let you know how I go!
Good luck to you too!

I'm just new to this too, baby is two months and just started a week ago. I live in Canada but am an Aussie so the lady in the shop wanted to show me the bitti tuttoos (an Aussie diaper). They are an AI2 and so far I love them (although still early days!). I have also ordered some kawaiis pocket diapers with a mix of micro fleece, charcoal bamboo and bamboo. Hoping to find the best type that works for us.
Good luck! I'm having a blast :)

I just got my diapers!! So excited. They got here super fast, just ordered them last Thursday. I snapped a few quick pics. They are so cute, and soft. I have about 10 packs of disposables and I'm thinking of giving them away or returning them for something else (also have a lot of useless Desitin I plan to return, I bought all these before I decided to go cloth) and going cloth from the start. These snap down to extra small size to fit a newborn.

Attachments

• All of them (Alvas).jpg
    All of them (Alvas).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
  • pink Alva.jpg
    pink Alva.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
I just got my diapers!! So excited. They got here super fast, just ordered them last Thursday. I snapped a few quick pics. They are so cute, and soft. I have about 10 packs of disposables and I'm thinking of giving them away or returning them for something else (also have a lot of useless Desitin I plan to return, I bought all these before I decided to go cloth) and going cloth from the start. These snap down to extra small size to fit a newborn.

Ooh cute! I love that the snaps are different colours! What brand are they?

Alva Baby brand, they cost me about $7 each, and they are very well made for how inexpensive they are, plus they have alot of features that some of the more expensive one's don't, like double gussets, snap in inserts that you can leave in the pocket when you throw them in the wash and they'll aggitate out on their own, there is a pocket opening in the front and the back, square tabs with crossover snap closure. I know some of the expensive ones do have some of these features, but I can't afford to pay $18 to $20 bucks per diaper right now. I have read alot of good reviews on them too.

Alva Baby brand, they cost me about $7 each, and they are very well made for how inexpensive they are, plus they have alot of features that some of the more expensive one's don't, like double gussets, snap in inserts that you can leave in the pocket when you throw them in the wash and they'll aggitate out on their own, there is a pocket opening in the front and the back, square tabs with crossover snap closure. I know some of the expensive ones do have some of these features, but I can't afford to pay $18 to $20 bucks per diaper right now. I have read alot of good reviews on them too.

I read good reviews too, but heard shipping can take forever and duty and taxes bring up the cost : (in canada, anyway). So I ordered the Kawaii ones. Range in price from $6.99-$10.40 AND come with two inserts. Some really cute prints and only took a couple of days to arrive. The bitti ones were $20 for just the diaper plus another $20 for inserts (although the inserts are enough for 4 layers and I've only been using two so that theoretically gives me 2 changes). Let me know how the Alva goes, maybe there is a Canadian retailer I can get them from and I'll give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->