Cloth Diapers, which kind are your favourite? Why? Help?

Lilaala

LTTTC Alumni
Reaction score
Help?

I just tried looking for cloth diapers and OMG there are SO MANY different kinds, where to even begin??

Please, what kind is your favourite? Why? What would you recommend?

I want to order some throughout my pregnancy in order to distribute the cost, but I don't know what kind to buy!

I wouldn't order a lpt of any one type of nappy before your baby is here - you don't know what will work for you! I had maybe 8 different brands of nappy (of different types) before my dd was born and have found 3 brands which i prefer, the others aren't so good for us.
I'd definitely recommend trying a couple of fitted nappies with wraps (some good brands are little lamb (i prefer bamboo), totsbots bamboozles, motherease sandies) and some pocket or all in one style (i prefer bumgenius but there are tonnes of brands so go for a few different ones!) I'd also suggest trying to get a mixture of velcro and poppers, i couldn't get on with poppered nappies, and a couple of different types of wrap as sometimes i've had a mega newborn poosplosion which has only been saved by the wrap, so don't forget about them!

There are probably other people who know more than me who can help more, but good luck!

WSS! Chances are, most one-size nappies won't fit a baby from birth so if you wanted OS nappies, you will have time to try different things once baby arrives before investing more money in whatever you like the best.

I don't think a full stash of just one brand/type is a particularly good idea anyway, as babies and their needs change all the time. If you have a few different types, you'll always have something that is right for when you need 100% reliability e.g. in the car, when you're out, nap time etc.

Personally, I mostly used bamboo fitted nappies with wraps or AIOs (a mix of natural fibre ones and microfibre ones with natural fibre boosters). I think Blueberry is a good brand to look at, especially for their AIOs and Coverall wraps. Tots Bots Stretches are a very good bamboo fitted nappy.

Eek thank you! I have SO MUCH to learn :wacko:

Inserts, prefolds, are they different versions of the same thing?

Do all cloth diapers come as covers that you put absorbent material in?

When I was little my Mum used these plastic-like diapers that went over absorbent fabric, is it essentially the same thing only much more modern and easy to use?

I feel like I am finally getting the hang of the cloth diaper thing lol!

My LO is 4 weeks + 1 day. We used disposables in the hospital, then came home and she was too small for pretty much all the cloth diapers I had, except newborn prefolds and newborn covers (came home at 6 lbs 6 oz).
She was pooping so much (EBF & slight jaundice which made me feed her constantly) and the prefolds kept her skin wet all the time - we finally had to get a pack of newborn disposables b/c she was going through 20-24 a day and got a rash / stool burn which needed super cream. We did that until she was about 10 days or so.
Now, I wash diapers every morning, and she uses exactly 13 per day.

She's currently 8lbs 10oz and I LOVE my Thirsties size 1 all in ones, with a hook and loop closure. I wish I could have 24!! I have 4 right now and I save them to use at night - it's just like a disposable - no stuffing or anything. They never leak, and fit her perfectly on the smallest setting. It even has room to add a booster if she starts wetting through.

My second favorite is apple cheeks pockets. I stuff with a prefold or flat folded up into multiple layers (I love hemp babies flats inside my apple cheeks it's like a super duty, it can hold so much liquid it's unreal). it fits my LO really well, doesn't leak, is really soft and is super cute. They dry really fast, whereas the thirsties take longer. But the apple cheeks snap, which is harder and more time consuming when the baby is squirming and screaming as mine does (she hates diaper changes with a passion) so that's why it's behind the thirsties for me.

I also really like the charlie banana one size (also pockets, I usually stuff with their microfiber inserts). Dries fast, soft, no leaks...has snaps like the apple cheeks, but these will fit longer than the apple cheeks, so more bang for your buck. Oh and they adjust around the thighs for a really good fit.

Some things I've learned:
I very much prefer her to stay feeling dry (and so does she) so I need diapers with a dry top layer like fleece. Maybe closer to potty training feeling wet is good, but not now. This means I only use all in ones or pockets with a dry layer unless it's an emergency (like I don't get around to washing lol).
Also, I needed to be stocked up on cloth diaper safe rash cream. I just apply it at every change because she goes poo so much! I like California baby & earth mama angel baby. I am waiting for my magic stick with zinc to come, that's supposed to be great.
Eco sprouts detergent makes the diapers smell like wet dog!
50 cloth wipes was not enough, I ended up with about 62. And I needed 3 spray bottles for wipe solution - one in the diaper bag, one upstairs and one downstairs.
HTH

I love the bumgenius elementals and free time and totsbots easy fits. You don't need to worry about different wraps/inserts etc. I do use some flip covers, they are handy for days out as you can just change the insert and wipe the cover if LO hasn't done a poo. My LO was quite big so the nappies fitted well from birth. Have a look at the nappy lady website, there is some really good information on there (https://thenappylady.co.uk)

I have my tiny girl in Alva newborns and I love them. They have serious hold capacity and hardly ever leak. I have them on the smallest size and use micro fibre inserts.

for newborns, I prefer fitted's made of natural fibers (cotton, hemp) with a PUL cover. They tend not to have much of a stream at that age, so those fibers seem to catch the pee better - no leaks.

for babies/toddlers, during the day I prefer the Flip system or microfiber pockets (BumGenius, Fuzzibunz). I can buy them super cheap on diaperswappers, they last FOREVER, they're easy to use and easy to take care of. At night, it's natural fiber fitted's with a wool cover - more bulk that can soak more pee, but breathes.

good luck in hunting! exciting, isn't it?! :)

I have a wee chunky monkey and my faves are either pockets or AIOs. I have some little lamb fitteds with a couple of wraps too. I love how soft the LLs are and they are really absorbent. I got cotton so they are a bit bulky. I tend to use these when we are in the house and he can run around with just a t shirt on. The pockets are cheap Alvas. I find them really good, and lovely designs. The minky fabric is lush!! Only had a couple of leaks, and think that was more to do with me learning to stuff and put them on properly. I also have quite a few Tots Bots. They are so convenient, very trim and the patterns are lovely. OH likes these too as they are the easiest for him to use. I think do what everyone suggests and get 1 or 2 of a few different types and see what works for your lo. Also what works will change as your lo grows. My lo is 16 mo now and velcro is becoming a problem as he can undo it!! Heres hoping poppers flummox him for a while yet ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->