Cloth nappies and staying with family...

F

FemmeEnceinte

Hello ladies! I'm currently trying to get OH on the reusables bandwagon as I really want to do this for various reasons, the main being baby's comfort.

What I was wondering is, some way down the line if we go to visit family for a weekend or so what do people do then? Is it a case of temporarily resorting to disposables or do you bring all your gear with you and explain to family what you're doing?

Thanks x

Depends on who we're staying with...both my parents and OH's parents are fine with us washing and drying at their houses, however I also take a few 'emergency' disposables with me as I don't like to push them to wash and dry too much.

If we were staying with anyone else other than parents we would have to take disposables.

You can get nappies like mothercares Smart Nappy or Gro Baby's which you can use a disposable insert in and reuse the outer layer, I am thinking of getting something like this for when we go away and visiting, as you would only need a couple of outers.

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/gro-baby-bio-soaker-pads-p-745.html

:D

I take disposables, though I'd be fine washing at my mum's. But we only go for 3 or 4 days max at a time, and I only wash every 3 days at home, and I don't want to have to take a bucket.

I do take the opportunity to rub it in to OH how gross and nasty the disposables are. He still has phases when he resents the cloth and wishes I'd give up, so I point out how stinky they get and how nice it is that we don't have to put up with that all the time.

When we had first started and just were part time I just did fully disposables. But later on we came to TX for a few weeks from Colorado and I just packed all cloth and took it with me, I just saved laundry until we got home though. But if someone didn't want me washing in their machine for some reason I would have just gone to a laundry mat

Thanks ladies, lots of good ideas there.

I think OH is put off by the extra work but, as far as I can see, it's not a whole lot different and with bin collections being 2 weekly here... it just makes me retch at the thought.

It depends who I am staying with and for how long.... But on the whole I tend to take disposibles.

With the idea of extra work, personally I don't find it any harder! It doesn't take long to put the machine on and hang them out, and his bottom looked so sore after the weekend away we had last weekend - that and I had my first explosive poo incident!!

I've been thinking about this recently as we're going to stay with my mum for 4 or 5 days soon. My mum isn't against cloth nappies at all, in fact she used terries on one of my sisters, but I'm still not 100% sure whether I'll take the cloth and use her washer or whether we'll just use disposables. I think disposables would be easier to fit in the car and will make it more likely that my family will change nappies for us (woohoo!), though I think they'd all have a go at cloth. BUT I think in the end my desire to show off Leyla's pretty nappies will probably win! Also, we don't have a tumble dryer here but my mum does, so I might take the opportunity to soften up some of my stash that have gone a bit crusty feeling.

Also, we don't have a tumble dryer here but my mum does, so I might take the opportunity to soften up some of my stash that have gone a bit crusty feeling.

Do you think you could shove a few of mine in there as well :lol: I hate that crispy feeling......especially the BB inserts :cry:

Also, we don't have a tumble dryer here but my mum does, so I might take the opportunity to soften up some of my stash that have gone a bit crusty feeling.

Do you think you could shove a few of mine in there as well :lol: I hate that crispy feeling......especially the BB inserts :cry:

If you fancy popping over to Preston, feel free!!! Sure my mum won't mind!

Ooh, I live close to Preston... I'll have to take her address :p

i've been to my grans for the weekend since leylas been a fulltime cloth bum and have just rinsed them out in the sink (bleached the sink afterwards lol) then either fully washed them out in the sink (wee ones) or put them in the washer (poo ones) tbh i couldve probably put them all in but i hadnt took enough with me really so i didnt want to have to wait a few hrs for the washer to finish, it was very easy though, dryed them on the radiators, i would make sure dont take bamboo / hemp ones cos they will take FOREVER to dry, plenty of microfibre and you will be fine hehe

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"