cloth nappy bucket

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Hey hey! I'll be a first time mama in a few weeks. I have my cloth diapers prepped to go, but I haven't gotten a nappy bucket.

My mum told me she used to have a wet pail... She would fill up the bucket with water and throughout the day dump the soiled nappies into it. When she went to wash them, she would dump the entire thing (water included) into the washing machine, do a rinse cycle then wash according yo cloth nappy directions.

Is this what everyone does now? Do I need a nappy bucket or is there a new way? Lol. Thanks!!

I use a dry pail, unless it has a secure lid a wet pail is a drowning hazard. And honestly, a dry pail works just fine for me.

I use a waste basket with a pail liner in it, I take the liner out and dump the diapers and the liner in the wash and that's it. It's a 13 gal kitchen trash can, don't use a lid (traps smells) and I think a Kanga/Rumparooz pail liner.

I use a dry bucket too. I have it lined with a tots bots mesh liner that just goes in the wash with everything. I use pockets so take my boosters out and then fling it all in the bin. Also I use disposable liners for poo so I never need to rinse the nappy. If you plan on breastfeeding then liners aren't needed and the poo is fine to go in the wash until solids are introduced. Give the bin a wash and dry and ready to go again. Most modern nappies advise against soaking them in a wet pail.

Okay. Just a few more questions... No lid? Really? I honestly assumed I'd need a lid to prevent smell! Lol.

I'm also using microfiber inserts so I think I need liners right?

My bin has a lid. The only time there's any smell is when I open it to quickly throw another in. I bought it off amazon.
You can use fleece liners to keep lo feeling dry. They will be fine being flung in the washing machine if you breastfeed. If you are bottle feeding I'd also use disposable liners but they aren't a necessity. Just saves the faff of rinsing poo off.

Okay. Just a few more questions... No lid? Really? I honestly assumed I'd need a lid to prevent smell! Lol.

I'm also using microfiber inserts so I think I need liners right?

Yeah me too, traps the ammonia smell. Mine has a lid, but we don't use. A loose fitting lid probably wouldn't be a bother though.

I have a nappy bucket that I dry pail in - I would personally recommend one with a lid, only because I have heard horror stories of flies getting in and laying eggs on dirty nappies :( Can't imagine how disgusting that would be, especially if you didn't catch them in time and you had maggots in your pail!

I have a nappy bucket that I dry pail in - I would personally recommend one with a lid, only because I have heard horror stories of flies getting in and laying eggs on dirty nappies :( Can't imagine how disgusting that would be, especially if you didn't catch them in time and you had maggots in your pail!

Are flies indoors that commonplace in NZ? We get the occasional fly indoors in the summer, but they almost always restrict themselves to the kitchen area and die off quickly. I don't think I ever saw on in the baby's room, but it's at the far end of the house from the kitchen.

Are flies indoors that commonplace in NZ? We get the occasional fly indoors in the summer, but they almost always restrict themselves to the kitchen area and die off quickly. I don't think I ever saw on in the baby's room, but it's at the far end of the house from the kitchen.

Yeah they're pretty bad sometimes, but depends on exactly where you live and what windows are open where in the house...hate them! :\ I'm jealous! Lol.

But I have had a friend in Texas that this happened to, too, so I know not just an NZ problem. Must be so disgusting to find!

I was born and raised in Australia, so I know the flies all to well! (However in western Canada we don't have that problem lol)

Im using microfiber inserts from Kawaii, with their waterproof covers. I don't need a branded "nappy bin" do I? I can just use any bin that has a lid?

I was born and raised in Australia, so I know the flies all to well! (However in western Canada we don't have that problem lol)

Im using microfiber inserts from Kawaii, with their waterproof covers. I don't need a branded "nappy bin" do I? I can just use any bin that has a lid?

No, of course not, We used a kitchen trash can.

RE flies, I just remembered when reading this thread we had a TERRIBLE fly problem last year, no idea why, but they were only in the kitchen we never saw them near the diapers! We determined it had something to do with the proximity of the trash bin to the door, or something.

We have screens on all the windows and what not, but I know they are not as common everywhere, so even if the windows are open no bugs. It's just opening and closing doors that lets them in.

We use a small kitchen trash can from Target with a pail liner made of PUL. The can has a loose-fitting flip up lid, but we moved the whole can into the cabinet in one side of the changing table once my LO got big enough that she wouldn't leave it alone, and we use it without the lid. The cabinet has a safety latch on it so that keeps her out now. If you have a good wash routine, you shouldn't get ammonia build-up and there should not be much of a smell. BF poo isn't terribly stinky and once they are on solids you are spraying it into the toilet or something like that.

Ahhh I want fly screens on my windows! :haha: Hate the little buggers...

This is what our nappy bin looks like - brand doesn't matter at all :) As long as it works. Our lid snaps on but can be left sort of just on the top if you're in a hurry and it's fine too

9414759258857_e.jpg

I just use an Applecheeks Size 2 Wetbag for storing dirty diapers. It is a hanging bag. It holds a whole day or more worth of diapers. I've only noticed smell once when I left it for almost 2 days. That was my own fault.

I will be using a wet pail but thats because I plan on hand washing/doing a prewash in that pail.

I read somewhere that a lot of people didn't like the wet pail because they are heavy. I imagine if you have a front loading washer, you can't just throw them in there either.

Some of the bags used to carry cloth diapers can function as wet bags though. I personally feel they wouldn't get big enough to be extremely heavy. Thats just me though. It seems to all be preference. :thumbup:

I use a large wetbag. Holds a day and a half worth of nappies for our house but I have two in nappies so if you only have one would probably hold at least 3 days if you wanted to wait that long between washes. xx

Thanks everyone! I got one yesterday (believe it or not) from the dollar store!! I got a smaller size so it wouldn't get to heavy, but I didn't think about using the wetbag I have too!

Now I just need her dresser :coffee: ... it never ends!

That's good! I use some random green bucket my FIL gave me but don't bother with a lid. Mine sits in the bath so once there are enough nappies, I do a couple of hot hand rinses then I lug the bucket off to the washing machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->