cluster feeding or comfort?

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
Eeek my 4 day old has currently been attached to my boob for 5.5 hours and I can't get hrr to sleep. Yesterday she did 5hrs and same day before. Where she has a bad latch my nipples are wrecked and so painful. I can't keep this up! But when I pop her down she is crying and rooting again :( it's getting me down now.

I introduced a dummy at day 2 for this reason. I just need an hours break to eat and shower!

Didn't get nipple confusion or affect supply!

being on for long periods of time can be normal. But as your other post said she isn't pooing and her latch is shallow and you are getting sore. I would check her for tongue tie and get an LC to check as well. If it is one then get it snipped as soon as you can. It makes a huge difference. If you do find that she needs more then you can give her I would if needed use a lactation aid. I used one in the beginning as my LO wasn't pooping on day 3 and she was on alllll the time and I mean 10hrs at a time. I would put on her each breast and let her suck till she stopped on each side and then if she still needed more I put her on a third time with a lactation aid. And then when she was done I pumped so that I could keep my supply up and use it instead of formula with the aide. I did this till week 3 when at a La Leche league meeting they suggested she had a tongue tie. She did have one I got it snipped and then BFing was a breeze.
When your LO cries take a look under her tongue and see if you see a string like piece of skin in the middle of under the tongue. You can also let her suck your finger and see if she gets a good curl around your finger. You can check yourself and your partners tongue as well and if one of you has a tongue tie chances are your LO does as well.

https://nursingrubysue.wordpress.com/how-to-check-for-a-tongue-tie/

Lactation consultant said no tongue tie just very short tongue.

It's really getting me down now especially as she is crying with constipation pain and needs to suck for comfort.

My lo does this, from 12 am to 3 am. It's very overwhelming, so I hear you. Are you making enough milk? I had the same thing when she was 5-6 days old and I realized because she wasn't pooping that although I thought she was getting stuff, she wasn't. Therefore, she was constantly trying to eat. I felt so bad. I bought a pump and pumped a few bottles so I knew she was getting something. She hasn't really discriminated bottle vs boob so I lucked out.

Well it lasted 8hrs including a 2oz formula top up after 6hours. I'm going to start pumping tomorrow and get her weighed. As her latch is pants and my nipples are a bleeding scabby mess *sob* I think she isn't getting enough.

Remember all that sucking will also use calories. I'd get baby weighed and depending on that feed for a max of an hour on boobs then supplement with pumped breast milk or formula if needed.

She ended up having all formula feeds after midnight last night as my nipples hurt so much I couldn't and still can't bear the thought of latching her on. I feel so sad and totally rubbish. I've not spent any time with my toddler since her birth. I'm upset because although my son is brilliant with the baby he is miffed with me.
I wasn't able to bf him at all so really wanted to do this for my beautiful girl. I thought I was taking a pragmatic approach re whether it would work before she was born but now...

Stupid thing is when I gave her bottles last night I felt relief and I also felt the same bond/love feeding her as I do when we bf.

Hoping to try get her on the breast this morning but my nipples are so scabbed.

Dh says to pump and latch her tomorrow but I worry she will forget how.

Ive popped her straight on this morning. Thought if I used formula today that'd probably be it and I'm not ready yet.

I hear you hen, I'm going through something similar, plus im really missing spending time with my toddler. next few days are gonna be the decider for me I think. I just want baby, toddler, mummy (and daddy I suppose lol, not that he is complaining at all) to be happy xx

Yes I have major guilt I'm not playing with ds or making his meals. Last night I cried as I missed his bath time. Managed to do his bed time bottle & snuggles.

Main concern is what will i do when dh goes back to work after 4 weeks off if dd is still feeding for an hour at a time? Ds is only 19m so I feel he is too young for me to just let him run loose.

Have you tried a ring sling or wrap? They are great for carrying LO around and you will have your hands free. You can feed in them easily. And you will be able to do stuff with your other one while feeding your LO.

Do bare in mind that although you're set on BF and BF is best blah blah blah - A happy bottle fed baby and mum is far better than a very unhappy and potentially non-bonding BF baby. Don't feel guilty if you feel you can no longer cope. Try pumping (pump a LOT!) to ensure your supply is good and if not, it'll stimulate supply. Ensure you're using lots of nipple cream before and after feeds - I'd suggest lansinoh and consider the temporary use of nipple shields whilst your nipples repair.

My baby has a period where he feeds and feeds. Usually for around 3 hours though the time of this seems to shift. It can be 4-7pm, 7-10pm or more exhausting midnight-3am!

I'm feeling a lot more positive this afternoon. I am just going to take it one feed at a time. My son was ff so I have no issue with formula I just want to make sure I give bf my best shot, try and resolve any issues and if I can then great but if not then I want to be able to know I tried properly first so I'll be happy in my decision to swap. As it is, combi feeding at night us working for us.

I'm feeling a lot more positive this afternoon. I am just going to take it one feed at a time. My son was ff so I have no issue with formula I just want to make sure I give bf my best shot, try and resolve any issues and if I can then great but if not then I want to be able to know I tried properly first so I'll be happy in my decision to swap. As it is, combi feeding at night us working for us.

Try and pump if you're FF during the night to keep your supply up as your hormones for supply/demand are higher during the night x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->