CMV/echogenic bowel

crossedfinger

Hannah's mommy and TTC#2
Reaction score
Some of you read in another post that in my detailed ultrasound, they found that the baby has an echogenic bowel, which basically means that the bowel is showing up brighter than it should be in the ultrasound. There are a number of things that could cause this, so I immediately started testing for a slew of stuff. One of my tests came back positive for CMV, which is a virus that can cause it. The test (a blood draw) shows that I've been infected at some point during my life, but doesn't show when. So I had another blood draw today to determine when I was infected. If it shows that I've been recently infected, then my baby could suffer from a bunch of things--mental problems, blindness, hearing loss, etc. If the results show that I was infected a long time ago, like any time before the pregnancy, the baby is probably okay. I get the results back next week sometime, along with results for a whole bunch of other things.

I don't really know what the point of writing all of this down is. I just want to enjoy my pregnancy instead of having to worry about something else. I don't know how I'm gonna make it an entire week without knowing. :cry:

I understand how hard the wait is... When I had one of my many blood tests at about 10weeks it was positive for CMV, both igg and igm I immediately panicked, did the very worse thing and googled it.
The blood was then sent off for them to work out how old the virus was and when I had caught it, I was relieved to find out it was probably from the last 2 years rather than a recent infection. Whilst waiting for the age of virus results to come back, my obstrician told me the severity of the virus all depends on when you catch it in pregnancy, but that it doesn't always cross the placenta and infect bubs and it certainly doesn't always cause the complications which are found when you google CMV.
I searched BnB for threads on CMV and found some really lovely helpful people who had been infected during pregnancy and went on to have no issues at all with bubs, they were happy to PM with their experiences and choices - yes there are things that can be done to minimise issues for bubs.
Feel free to PM me, I know it's going to be a hard week waiting for the results and I will be thinking of you. Let us know the outcome of the results.
Take care xxxxx and big :hugs:

My God, I am so sorry hon. And it's worse when you have to wait. I'm waiting on some important test results as well and I won't know anything for another week or two. The waiting game is torturous. I really pray that your baby will be alright. It's scary to know that a virus you had can cause a ton of problems for your unborn baby. I hope everything turns out alright. Please let us know, and you can vent to us anytime you want. :)

I understand how hard the wait is... When I had one of my many blood tests at about 10weeks it was positive for CMV, both igg and igm I immediately panicked, did the very worse thing and googled it.
The blood was then sent off for them to work out how old the virus was and when I had caught it, I was relieved to find out it was probably from the last 2 years rather than a recent infection. Whilst waiting for the age of virus results to come back, my obstrician told me the severity of the virus all depends on when you catch it in pregnancy, but that it doesn't always cross the placenta and infect bubs and it certainly doesn't always cause the complications which are found when you google CMV.

Oh thank you so much for responding! It really helps to hear that someone else went through this and all was okay. I'm wondering what I'll do if the results come back showing that it was a recent infection--don't know if I'll get the amnio or just wait until the baby is born and get it tested then to see if it was infected. Just so many things swimming around in my head...but it's definitely good to hear positive news from someone else who went through this!

This was one of my angel's symptoms. I researched everything before the genetics result came back. With her though, it was part of a bigger picture of problems (ascites, NT measurement 8cm, hydrops). She had Turner syndrome. BUT the good news here, and the reason I'm posting, is that I found out when researching that an echogenic bowel WITH NO OTHER FINDINGS is likely to be nothing. You seem to indicate that was the only "abnormal" thing they saw, so I hope it doesn't mean anything in your case. But I know how scary this is. ((Hugs))

Oh thank you so much for responding! It really helps to hear that someone else went through this and all was okay. I'm wondering what I'll do if the results come back showing that it was a recent infection--don't know if I'll get the amnio or just wait until the baby is born and get it tested then to see if it was infected. Just so many things swimming around in my head...but it's definitely good to hear positive news from someone else who went through this!

From the research I have done, only 30% of people infected for the first time during pregnancy will pass CMV to the bubs and of those 30% only 10% of those babies will have any issues, so once you begin to look at the numbers it's a really low chance of an issues. Most people catch the virus when they are children and the levles being picked up later are from your bodies response to the virus - symptoms are flu/glandular fever, I was tested because I had a cold!!! I tried not to make any decisions until I had the facts in front of me about the age of infection, but I would say the worst time to catch the virus when it does the most damage is during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy whilst bubs is forming, infection after this is not as risky for complications. I would (and did) wait to find out what I was facing before thinking about the what ifs.
I am here if you want to talk and feel free to PM me...:flower:

This was one of my angel's symptoms. I researched everything before the genetics result came back. With her though, it was part of a bigger picture of problems (ascites, NT measurement 8cm, hydrops). She had Turner syndrome. BUT the good news here, and the reason I'm posting, is that I found out when researching that an echogenic bowel WITH NO OTHER FINDINGS is likely to be nothing. You seem to indicate that was the only "abnormal" thing they saw, so I hope it doesn't mean anything in your case. But I know how scary this is. ((Hugs))

I am so sorry for what you went through. It is a very scary thing to go through when they find something on the ultrasound, you're absolutely right.

Yes, the only thing that they found on the ultrasound was an echogenic bowel. So I'm really hoping that you're correct & that it turns out to be nothing. I am on pins and needles awaiting the results of my second blood test.

Thank you for posting--you don't know how much this helps me.

@ Jamandspoon, Thank you so much! I, too, found the same stats about the chances of passing on CMV, which makes me feel somewhat better about it, but you know how it is. Plus, I'm showing an echogenic bowel, which means that something is going on. My igm is 1 and my igg is 8, so I've definitely had it at some point, but I have to wait until Weds to find out when I was infected.

Are you currently pregnant with the baby that you tested positive for CMV with?

My cousin just found out that her baby has an echogenic bowel. She had a repeat scan yesterday and another scan scheduled for next month, plus genetic counseling on Monday.

Crossedfinger I see from your signature that your little girl was born last month and that you are breastfeeding! Yay! How is she doing??

Hello,

I have found it hard to come across posts regarding CMV. At my 20 week scan they found that our baby had slightly echogenic bowel and did some viral blood tests. 2 weeks later we went back for another fetal medicine scan and it turns out that i tested positive for CMV, suggestive that it is a primary infection caught between 6-8 weeks of my pregnancy. I feel so unlucky that i may have caught it at this time as i have read it is the most dangerous and high risk time to catch the infection for the baby. I am trying to stay positive but am finding it quite hard most of the time as alot of the outcomes i have read from people are worrying.

I have come across experimental trials to HIG Hyperimmunoglobin treatment to prevent symptons in the unborn baby, i was wondering if anybody else has heard of this? And how i would go about getting this?

Any advice/insight would be so helpfull x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->