Codine for SPD, please read! In pain and need some advice!

IsabellaJayne

Mum of beautiful girls! WTT Dec 2023
Reaction score
My Dr prescribed codine tablets to me for my SPD pain, Im only 12+3 days, scan the other day was fine. I havent taken any yet but my pain is severe today and ive gor a lot to do.

I thought 3rd tri would most likely have the SPD sufferers.

Is anyone else taking/taken codine?

Is everything been ok with bubs?

Hiya, I was admitted at 28 weeks for 4 days with severe back/rib pain and they thought it was a clot in my lung to begging with but in the end they couldn't find a cause for the pain but from the time I was in the hospital and for a month after i left I took codiene and the babies were fine and all is well :) xx

doctor gave me cocodamol (codeine and paracetamol)
i take them now and then before bed to try and get some sleep. and my little ladys fine :)

I took cocodamol with my previous pregnancy when my pain was severe and my daughter is fine, I have them again this pregnancy for my spd/pgp but only take them when all else fails (I get the best relief from a warm bath).

I was given 30/500 cocodamol which is very strong and was told there is no risk to baby

I've taken them periodically for an out of place rib. They haven't helped the pain but the baby is just fine. Wriggly and healthy

I was advised to take them by midwife but I only take them as a last resort because they make me feel funny!

I take them if ive had a bath before bed and im still really sore. I didnt really want to take them so only do it as a last resort. X

My doctor is happy for me to take cocodomal 30/500. Im meant to take 2 every 4hrs but I don't. I have them when I know I have to walk somewhere or if I am already in pain.

He wants me to not take as many as I get closer to the end though because he said it can affect the baby.

I got them a couple of weeks ago and like most girls on here I take only when I feel I need to. But that's becoming more frequent now. Asked my doc again and he said he has no problem with me taking the recommended dose right up to baby born xxx

It won't help with constipation! Go to an osteopath, my pain has completely gone now :)

I have shied away from cocodamol during pregnancy (30/500) as they feel a bit strong and make me a bit lightheaded. I have a support belt, crutches and take the occasional paracetamol to help. I feel like pacing my activity levels helps more than anything else & resting when I feel I need to as opposed to when I want to (or else I would never sit down as on the go constantly when not pregnant).
The other problem with codeine is constipation which can often be a big problem in pregnancy anyway. Regular codeine usually results in the need for stool softeners which can be effective but also hellish if you are unlucky enough to get haemorrhoids in later pregnancy.

Hope you find some relief.

I took them in my last pregnancy for SPD and my daughter was fine. Like xsadiex, I found that the best relief came from an osteopath though. I had a few sessions when I was about 8 months pregnant and my pain subsided a lot.

I completely agree with ladies recommending an osteo. I went to a chiro for my manipulation and haven't had one iota of bother from spd x

My spd improved around the 8 month mark with first and this pregnancy - I didn't have osteopathy or anything - not sure why it's improved but maybe because I have stopped working?

Annie mine improved with my first pregnancy about the same time when my daughter started engaging, the MW said her head was pretty much acting as a splint to keep me stable, I'm hoping for the same this time! :haha:

I was given codiene for severe toothache, and was told too take along side paracetomal... My toothache was that bad I took them and although It didnt take the pain away I was a lil high too say the least so didnt notice
.. I generally feel n so did my nurse and dr that the codiene was safer than me beinh in so much agony I was nearly passing put grom the pain...

If you need too take it go for it, its safer than any other strong painkiller... It only tends too be not given in the last few weeks due too dependancy when the baby is born, ive been fine up too now do whats best for you hun xxxx

Spd really bad and take the full dose most days and baby is fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->