Cold remedies during pregnancy.....and a question on movement!

Ashersmomma

Reaction score
DH has unfortunately passed on his cold to me :nope: He was lucky in the fact that he just had a sore throat for several days and some coughing last night. I didn't end up that lucky. It's a pretty nasty cold for me.(Oh, the joys of a weakened immune system right now!) My throat is swollen and covered in white stuff, coughing like crazy(lots of fun with a baby on my bladder!!) exhausted, can't sleep. Luckily I'm able to breath when I'm awake. I don't think I'm very congested, although my throat feels like it is. I took an expectorant that was on my safe list and it hasn't done a thing. Also sat in my bathroom with the hot water on to steam it up, twice. I've been drinking herbal tea with lemon and honey and even made a concoction that I'd heard about from a family member of hot water, apple cider vinegar, and honey. It seemed to help DH, so I'm hoping it will help. But does anyone else have any remedies they swear by? I will try anything at this point. I cannot sleep anymore, since it seems to be getting worse. When ever I start to fall asleep I make a weird grunting noise that wakes me up.(I think it's my throat starting to touch when I relax) I'm so very tired, and this is one of the rare Sundays that DH has to work, so I have DS to take care of(and hope that he doesn't get it too!!!)

Try some sore throat spray. I had a horrible cold recently and doc said I could use the throat spray (you don't swallow it, just spray and gargle to numb throat) also gargling mouth wash worked well for me but I had to do it often as it wears off quickly.
for a whole week I lives off of hot tea, hot cider, hot showers, hot soup, and even hung my head over a pot of boiling peppermint water to breathe in the fumes which did help open airways a little.
I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks :) I will have to have DH pick some up on his way home! My mom ended up stopping by a bit ago with some soup, tea, cough drops, and popsicles. So far I've eaten soup and a popsicle and used a couple cough drops. Seems to be helping a bit.
Although I am starting to worry a little bit. LO hasn't been quite as active today. Aside from the kicking this morning around 3:30-4am, I've only had a few sporadic kicks. Nothing like she normally does. Would my being sick affect her at all, or the meds I took? I only took an expectorant this morning. I might have another popsicle or some juice and lay down to see if it will get her going.

Um... I'd check with mw/doc but expectorants are on my do not take list (don't know if its me personally per my doc/my docs preference for all pregnancies or a general no no) but I was told to stay away from expectorants (something to do with it being a vasoconstrictor which can decrease blood flow to uterus)
my lo was a little less active while I was sick too, so I'd say its normal but any decreased movement in third tri is worth asking doc about. Always better safe than sorry.

My OBs list says I can take guaifenesin or a combo of it with a suppressant. Took it with DS too. I take as little as possible though, as with all medications. I really don't like taking anything.
I'm getting a few small kicks now, but not as strong as usual( they usually hurt!) I will probably call in the morning just to let them know. They only have the on call nurse right now, and the only thing they ever say to anything is to go to l&d. Not sure why they even have an on call nurse if that's the only answer they give. Might as well just make it a recording.
Although if I don't start getting something close to normal, I may just go in. I don't like to unless absolutely necessary(45 minute drive) but better to be safe.

I've been coughing for a month now. Someone told be to infuse garlic in hot water and drink it for a week. You can also add honey. I tried it for the first time today. We'll see how that goes. Also when I saw my doc last week she recommended sinus rinse. It's a saline solution that you squeeze in one nostril and it comes out the other nostril. I really don't see how that will help my cough but she said it will help. So I just bought some. Anyway i'm getting desperate. Gook lm

I'm on the mends from what it sounds like you have. It had me down for a solid two weeks. I took Robitussin (On my Dr's safe list, plus I did extensive googling before deciding on it). It soothed the cough a lot.

I also had pretty bad congestion, so for that I put a little Vicks vapor rub in a Wax warmer and that helped open me up.

Other than that, lots of steamy showers and popsicles.

Fresh Lemon, ginger and manuka honey!

Thanks ladies. I'll give those a try! My mom brought me some Robitussin, so I took some a bit ago. My throat doesn't feel quite as bad, but now I feel so worn down and achy, no appetite, and I think I have a bit of a fever. Took some Tylenol for that and I think I'm going to call it an early night. LO is kicking a bit more now. Still not her usual, but pretty regular.
I kind of wish I felt like eating now. DH is in the kitchen cooking himself a steak. I might try to force down some of his mashed potatoes though.

I forgot to add that I noticed on my worse days during my cold, LO was definitely less active. I'm not sure if it was her moving less, or me just being too miserable to focus on movements, but after the worst of it was over she got back to her normal self. I figure if I'm feeling like hell, she probably wasn't having the best day either, lol.

Also, my breathing scared the hell out of me and I'd startle every time I'd go to fall asleep. I got to the point where a couple of nights I had to take a couple Benedryl to get any sleep at all. I'm usually a person that you have to force to take anything, including tylenol, but when you're feeling that miserable sometimes you just have to give in.

I'm actually doing a kick count now. Drank a huge glass of iced orange juice and laying on my left side. I'm about 25 minutes in and only a couple tiny flutter like kicks and one solid kick. Really starting to worry me.

Well we are heading to l&d. I only got 2 good kicks during my count. Hopefully it's just because I'm sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->