Cold Sore Virus or Hand Foot & Mouth Disease?

Pumpkinb

Proud parents!
Reaction score
Hi all
Have been advised DD has caught the Herpes virus but I'm not so sure after looking up the Hand Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD).
Basically on Friday I had her at the docs as she was very lethargic, clingy and running a temp, the doc checked her over and said her throat was inflamed and sent me home with Calpol and Ibuprofen.
On Sat I noticed two small spots on each hand and one beside her nose and two on her chin. Kind of blister like.
On Sun we noticed a rash on her arms and lower legs and she has a rash on the sides of her feet, the spots on her throat appeared to be yellow too.
Took her to the Docs yesterday and she had developed another blister spot on her knee , but the rash on her feet had gone.
Anyway he said that it looked like the cold sore virus and sent me home with Zovirax liquid medincine to give to her 5 times a day for 5 days. But he did ask to see her feet to rule out the HFMD.
I am starting to doubt the it is the cold sore virus as she has the rash on her legs and arms as well as the blisters on her hands, face and knee.
Can you get cold sore virus anywhere other than the face?
Any help appreciated.

Hiya,I know coldsores are in the same family as herpes and its possible for people to get genital herpes but I havent heard about them being any where else on the body but yet again chicken pox and shingles are a strain of the herpes too.Is there any chance you could get a 2nd opinion andsee another doctor?x

My youngest 2 have just gotten over what we were told was first outbreak of coldsore virus. We thought at first was HFM although they didnt have a rash at all on their bodies but the mouth lesions looked like HFM ones, they also had the odd blister around the mouth but not off the face.

Its taken 2 weeks nearly for the lesions in the mouth to heal, whereas HFM is quicker and not so painful, also there was more gum involvement in my DDs than would see in HFM. Its so similar the course really, we had a high fever a couple days before the mouth blisters and both were very lethargic then didnt want to eat or drink. My 2 year old ended up in the ER dehydrated just from wouldnt let anything near her mouth.

Hope your daughter feels better ASAP:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->