colicy baby- changing milk

saramummytobe

Reaction score
HI

my little girl is 2 and a half weeks old she has really bad colic ive tried infacol and colief does work but find it hard to use bcoz of having to leave it 30mins before giving it as she screams for her food and cant wait that long to be fed. Im currently on sma first milk is there anything else i cud switch too which cud help her? My midwife has discharged me and i havent been seen by health visitor yet

Infacol works by breaking down some of the lactose in the milk to make it more easily digestable. There are Comfort milks such as Aptamil Comfort or Cow and Gate Comfort which contains less lactose than other milks and proteins that are already partially broken down, so they are easier to digest and help with wind, colic and constipation. See link xxx

https://www.cowandgate.co.uk/our_products/baby_milks/comfort_milk

Sorry when I said "infacol" I ment Coleif lol!!!

Have you tried one of the comfort milks?

Our first baby Sophie fed fine on Cow & Gate first stage milk until she was 2 weeks and then started being fussy, crying and kicking her arms & legs out like she was in pain when feeding but then tried her on Cow & Gate comfort and she was back to feeding fine after 2-3 days. We also used Infacol & gripe water as we still struggled to get her wind up without them.

Our 2nd baby Layla started doing the same after feeding so we changed her to Aptimil comfort (we going to get cow & gate comfort but the local shop didn't have it). And after being on it 3 days she's not as fussy, isn't crying, straining and grunting like she's got a pain and isn't as windy. x

Word of warning with the comfort milks watch ur teats. I use avent bottles snd size 1+2 had too smaller hole for the milk to go thru but found mam size 1 teats spot on. Also ive heard dr brown bottles are fantastic. Never got a chance to try them as my bubs went from colic to reflux :(. Good luck with changing milks its not easy but persevere its worth it....i think lol. X

Friend had some success swapping from SMA to Aptamil (both the normal formulas) recently, coupled with colief.

We moved our LO to C&G Comfort at 2 weeks & it made such a massive difference! Worth a try!

I use infacol, sometimes colic drops and gripe water, i was told by the health visitor that infocal only works when used at pretty much every feed, so may be quite expensive over time. I tried gripe water by using a bottle that i only use for that purpose with a no.1 teat (LO's on no.2's with his milk) because its thinner than milk and he wont choke on it! I just put the required amount in the bottle and give it to him mid way or after a feed. Seems to do the trick most of the time! As stated above though you could try the comfort milks, but talk to your doc first.

Colic doesn't exist it's a myth invented by docs to give distressed parents an answer to why their baby is crying all the time.

Silent reflux is usually the cause which is the over production of acid in the tummy rising up and down the throat causing burning pain.

Classic signs are fussing at feeds, feeding often but not taking much pulling away from teat then trying again, frequent hiccups, excessive gas xx

Colic doesn't exist it's a myth invented by docs to give distressed parents an answer to why their baby is crying all the time.

Silent reflux is usually the cause which is the over production of acid in the tummy rising up and down the throat causing burning pain.

Classic signs are fussing at feeds, feeding often but not taking much pulling away from teat then trying again, frequent hiccups, excessive gas xx

Hmmm... word of a doctor Vs word of some random person on the internet?

Obviously an easy choice since if someone said it on the internet it must be true - so apparently Elvis is stacking shelves in my local Asda as well, and flying home in a UFO parked around the back.

Ive heard it thrown about that colic doesnt actually exist too.

For me "colic" means the pain and crying associated and caused by bad wind, constipation, slight lactose overload or intolerance and other mild digestive problems. So it does exist and can be very distressing for babies and parents. xxx

Have you tried holding LO upright for about 20 mins after every feed, I know its time consuming and not pratical for everyone but we found that until LO was old enough for gripe water that this helped a little bit.

I've treks infacol and dentinox both worked for a while but then stopped now we are trying colief. We switched form SMA to SMa comfort which hasn't made much difference. Have brought a tub of aptimal comfort but haven't started using as HV calling tomorrow and wasn't sure about changing brands.
I have always give LO their bottle at room temp was thinking of heating slightly do you think that might help? LO has such bad trapped wind, he is uncomfortable and his afrts are so loud and smell really bad!

If wind or constipation is causing your LO to be in pain and cry then LO does not have colic.

Colic is unexplained crying for x amount of time, if you can put the crying down to something then its not colic.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Colic/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I don't believe any excessive crying is unexplained there has to be a reason. Ava had horrendous silent reflux and was told colic colic colic - hmm ranitidine = instantly better!!

I did lots of research, spoke to a paediatrician and read up lots on silent reflux and paediatricians apparently get very cross when colic is give as a reason when its a symptom of silent reflux not a diagnosis.

I refused to be fobbed off with colic when she had screamed 8-10 hours a day for 15 weeks it was he'll on earth, I had to go armed with all my research to finally get them to listen. I've helped a lot of friends get their baby sorted too instead of being told colic they've received the proper help from docs and been sorted straightaway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->