Coming off citalopram before TTC

magicteapot

Esme (3) Baby on the way!
Reaction score
I went to the doctor today and she wants to try and take me off citalopram before I TTC in 6 months eepers.. Am so nervous cos I know how ill I got before I was on them but am doing well I guess now squeal! I was totally against anti depressants before I had to take em but now I couldn't imagine life without em, they make my brain blank a lot which is a good thing hehe!
Has anyone else had to come off em before? Do things carry on being nice?
xx

I was on escitalopram when I found out I was expecting, I came off them at 4 weeks and wish I had done it before TTC, I had a bit of a dip coming off them but it only lasted a couple of weeks xx

OMG I got prescribed these for panick attacks and was ILL when I took then had loads of the side effects so they have moved me to prozac which I have been on before xx

I was on citalipram for about a year, I was on 40mg at Christmas and been weaned off slowly until I eventually came off completely about 3 weeks ago. I did it very very slowly (the last fornight I was on 10mg every other day then 10mg every 3 days). I found them very good, my moods and anxiety defo improved while I was on it.

Not sure if its a coincidence but since I have been off them my mood has dipped and I've been very very short tempered. I have had a couple of things happen in this time which have upset me though and I've been mega stressed so maybe I just should have times the date I came off a bit better. Have to say though that I thought I'd be fine seing as I was on such a tiny dose at the end anyway.

Just be very careful, take it slower, slower than the doc recommends in fact, for example my doc was going to drop me down from 40mg to 20mg, it was only after some reseach myself that I read about getting my doc to give me the 40mg but in 10mg doses so I could reduce down 40mg to 30mg every other day, that way its very gradual.

I was on these for my very bad PND, they helped loads and I really relied on them even though to start with I didn't want to go on them but did for DH and DS sake. But after a while I found I was unable to sleep like I would go a whole week with out sleeping. I never talked to my doctor as he is rather rubbish but talked to DH and we decided about me coming off them slowly see if it improves but I just went straight off them. The first week or so was really hard but now that I had bonded with my baby I focused on that and I am now slowly making progress, still get really bad days. But I am sleeping lol when DS lets me XD

This may be a bit controversial but..

I suffered major anxiety a while ago, to the point I was pre
Good luck with ttc and coming off the tablets xx

This may be a bit controversial but..

I suffered major anxiety a while ago, to the point I was pretty much agraphobic. I was prescribed citalopram and I did eventually manage to sort out my problems, still very anxious but able to face my demons. One day I just thought 'I don't need these, the reason I'm worrying is because of a, b and c, I have these feelings for a reason'

I didn't wean myself off, just stopped taking them. I was on 40 mgs. I had NO side effects whatsoever, I think because I just thought whatever happens happens, and I wasn't 'looking' for side effects they didn't happen. I think it's easy, especially if you're anxious by nature anyway to 'think' yourself ill.
Obviously I wouldn't advise doing this but just wanted to share with you, as it really wasn't bad at all!
Good luck with ttc and coming off the tablets xx

You were brave!

With my pregnancy my GP said it was fine to continue on them. I paid to see a private psyche and obs/gyane consultant to confirm this who said it was fine.

TBH, the way i felt with baby blues after birth i was glad i was still on them. I am sure this is controversial too but it worked for us.

I'm struggling at the moment even though I came off very slowly. Hoping I adjust but it's been quite a few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->