Coming off Prozac, and struggling :(

BebVern

3 MC, on a break (TTC #1)
Reaction score
I'm 5w 5d with my first baby. I've been on anti-depressants for about 3 years now; most recently fluoxetine (Prozac) which has worked wonders for me.
I did a lot of research when we started ttc, and found that prozac was one of the safest SSRIs to be on whilst pregnant. I spoke to my friend who's a pharmacist, and she confirmed that I should be fine to stay on them, and so should my baby. They also had the added benefit of making my periods very regular (maybe because my reduced stress balanced my hormones? IDK), which helped with TTC.

However, after my first doctor's appointment, my GP seemed very concerned that I was still taking prozac. She told me the risks outweighed the benefits, and I should immediately start to wean myself off them.

I've been struggling ever since, with anxiety, nightmares, low energy, mood swings and repetitive negative thoughts, which isn't being helped by pregnancy. I've had a little spotting the past couple of days, which I know is relatively normal, but I've been so worried I've suffered 2 panic attacks which won't help at all. I've also had a big argument with my best friend of 12 years, because my emotional nerves are so raw that anything touches them and I blow up.

I have my first midwife appointment on the 13th, by which time I'll have weaned myself off the meds completely. I'll be just shy of 7 weeks, just hoping I the bleeding doesn't continue or worsen and I'll still be pregnant in a week's time...finding it very hard to be positive :cry:

You poor love! I would get a second opinion from maybe a different GP?
My friend was on Prozac for years and her gp told her to stay on it. Her baby was born perfectly happy. The health of the mother is so important. Anxiety and panic attacks are common in pregnancy anyway even if you have never suffered with it. Good luck x

Thanks for the reply Rooster. I'll definitely mention it to the midwife next week if I don't improve.
I think the main problem has been that I'd mentally prepared myself for staying on them, after doing all my research, and was completely blown out of the water by my GP. I felt like I had no option but to come off them. Maybe I can go onto a different medication if I continue suffering, I guess I'll have to wait and see x

There will defiantly be ways to get around it.,they won't let you suffer x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->