Complete weaning checklist

BeckaJayne

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of all the stuff i'll need for when i start to wean my LO.:thumbup:

I've been to Mothercare today and bought a high chair (get the most expensive bit out of the way lol) was having a look at cups, bowls, spoons and bibs. The cups confused the life out of me do you need all the different types?

I also found ice cube trays with lids in Babies R Us but obviously they're more expensive has anyone used these or would i be better off with just normal ice cube trays as my OH thinks im just trying to find the most expensive things :nope:

For me, what I've got ATM is:

- Feeder spoons. I suggest those ones that have metal handles and coated spoon parts. I bought a 3 pack for like $5, they're Gerber. I have 2 other kinds of spoons but found them too "deep" to get the food out of right now. Pity, because one changes colour when food is too hot and it's a nice feature :) (Those are by Nuby).. and I have a few others by the First Years that were in cute colours.. think just their "take and toss" ones.. not sure, they were on my diaper cake!

- Ice cube trays, just regular ice cube trays. The freezer food trays at Babies R Us are overpriced IMO, sure they're measured out to a specific size portion and have a cover, but I just got ice cube trays and I transfer the cubes from the tray after they freeze to a bag. I have a vacuum sealer but I don't think it's a necessary piece of equipment for making your baby food, if I didn't already have one I'd use a freezer bag and take a permanent marker to it to write what it is. Peaches, apricots, and sweet potatoes look soooo similar! lol.

- Bowls. I guess you could use regular bowls, but I prefer the smaller bowls.. I didn't buy special baby bowls though, I just bought plastic kids bowls that are microwave & dishwasher safe.

- Highchair or if you want a less expensive, space-saving alternative, one of those ones that attaches to a chair. We have one at OH's place and it's great! Adjusts to 5 different settings from sitting up straight to more reclined.

- Bibs... big bibs.. lol. Those little newborn things are useless, babies are messy when they eat, especially if yours tries to "help" or wants to grab the soon herself :dohh: - I'm going to be investing in those plastic bibs that are wipeable and have sleeves soon!

- Cups, I only have one sippy cup so far. She started having it around 4.5 months, she's doing really well with it but it's not something you NEED now, a lot of babies won't use a sippy cup for a couple months still (Chloe's not 4 months yet!) She just has a bit of water from it a couple times a day anyway.

- Washcloths!! I had TONS from my baby showers with Elyse, more than I could ever need for baths and bums, so I brought a ton of them done (still unused :dohh:) to clean her face, hands, body, chair off with.

- If you have a dishwasher, I like having the dishwasher basket for baby stuff-- makes sure her stuff doesn't fly around everywhere during the cycle! And, as an added bonus for me, it keeps all her stuff together and readily accessible when it comes out.

I bought a pack of small contatiners with lids from Pundstretcher £1 for 6 and I just fill them up with food I make and freeze them alot cheaper than babies r us!

Bibs definante yes!Preferably the ones with sleeves as Tasha said.

I went to boots and tbought boots own make bowls and spoons, not too expensive and you get your points on the baby stuff!

We have only just started giving Thomas a cup. You should get one of you r HV at about 5 -6 months (I did) and then just let her have a little sips of water out of it thats what we do with Thomas xx

Tesco does flexible ice cube trays for £1, then just decant them into a freezer bag with 'name' and date of making them.

OOooh yeah I got flexible ice cube trays at Ikea :) I broke like 3 of the plastic dollar store ones in no time!

Flexible ice cube trays, a bog standard tommee tipee cup for £1.50 (plus a spare I got free at the HV) rubbery spoons from boots, those little plastic picnic bowls they are selling for £1 at tescos,I got mr messy, seemed apt, and a metre of PVC mat to go under his chair (£2.50 -so I can disinfect it and pick up the spoon when he drops it rather that clean the floor 6 times a day...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->