Completely panicking about exams.

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
I have my first uni exam in 5 days and with my last exam being almost 4 years ago I'm panicking. I've never been good with exams and no matter how much I revise I seem to have forgotten 90% of what I've learnt. I'm absolutely terrified. Any study tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would record and listen to my study notes. It really worked for me. You need to tap into the way you remember the best...if you write it, listen to it or just hear it. You really cannot revise everything though. You need to focus on the most important parts and thats where past papers help. Maybe you are trying to revise too much. What i did was i would go through all the past papers i could get and try and find a 'theme' then revise that. Things dont change that much so it usually works. Of course, it can be a bum exam paper and it can hit you with something you havent revised but thats just the way it goes. You can always re-sit. I also did study groups at uni. We used to get together and talk about the subject and areas to study. It may be too late at this stage but definitly something to consider for other exams.

Oh..and goodluck. Im sure you will be fine. I went back as a mature student so everything depended upon passing. I was always very nervous. I was never good at exams and yet never had to resit anything in my 4 year degree, despite having teaching placements to do, which made me so sick inside! Im sure you know more than you think. Remember also, to give yourself time out or you will try to cram and that doesnt work.

Do you say what you've learnt out loud? Sounds daft but it really works for me! I get my OH to listen if I can but if not I just chat about it myself. Maybe this is too daft to even admit but I even imagine different scenarios- I'm a student nurse and we have pharmacology exam this week, so I pretend I've got a patient and I'll tell them all about their new medication, or sometimes if I can't be bothered to do that I'll just pretend I'm doing a lecture to other students. LOL, it does work for me honestly!

Also, I try to organise my revision so that I can learn all the topics, and then go back and revise them again. SO for example, this time round I have got various topics like antibiotics/respiratory medicine etc and I've revised each of them and now I'm just going through them all again. The second time should be much more like proper revision, as in, when you see something you go, "Oh yeah!" even if you had forgotten it, and it goes in a lot better.

Before I look through the second time, I write everything I can remember. This helps you to highlight which parts you already know (so you don't waste time looking at stuff you know anyway) and which parts you need to learn. I know it sounds obvious but it's a good idea to really relax when you test yourself like that, it's honestly really surprising how much extra you can remember if you don't panic.

I alternate different revision techniques. For example, I spent last week at uni and today I've stopped at home. Sometimes I'll write a topic by hand and another time I'll type it. This exam, for the first time, I've been using those little card things like you would hold for a presentation, each with just a little information on. Just stops me getting too bored if I mix it up a bit, helps it go in better.

Oh and finally, I take a LOT of breaks. I sometimes feel like I'm hardly doing any work. For other stuff like writing essays I don't take nearly so many breaks. I might take an hour or more at a time. But, I really can't just learn and learn and learn. So I don't feel bad about it!

Good luck, I hope you do well. Sorry this advice is coming a bit late. xx

Good luck for your exam!

I went back to uni after a long time out of education last year so was in a similar position to you. What I've found most helpful is writing out the facts in my own words, in my own handwriting and using that as my 'revision guide'. Also doing practise questions is great for building up confidence.

I'm not sure what subject your studying but last night I was surprised to find that there were revision podcasts for some of my modules. They're free from iTunes so it may be worth a look.

It seems like Mrs Pear has tonnes of great tips though. I'd consider some of those.

I think my panicking was causing major block. Now I've calmed myself down a bit i've managed to get some more done, I have written flash cards, and bought something called krammer cards where you write a question on the front and answer on the back and they're on a keychain so you can just flick through them and keep trying to answer them.

And yes talking out loud does help, I did it all the time when I was at college, the theory of if you can't teach it to somebody else you don't really understand it, so I always try to find someone to listen who I can explain it to and I know if they understand I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks so much for your help ladies x

Sorry I don't have any advice but I'll be following if you don't mind! I have an exam coming up in a few months for uni - it'll be the first formal exam ever since I was like 14 and did my SATs :wacko: not looking forward to it!

Good luck with yours :flower:

I used to write it all out and slowly condense the notes. I did this until only words became enough to trigger all that I knew. I also used to put notes on walls around the house and carried some with me everywhere, reading them as I went about my daily tasks. Exams are scary but usually you'll find them allright when you turn that first question page. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->