Confused about baby refusing to nurse...

ece77

Reaction score
Hi all,
We have a problem with our 4 week old girl. She is gaining weight nicely and besides being somewhat gassy, seems quite healthy.
However, she takes too long to nurse (sometimes up to an hour) and at the end of the feed, she seems to be wanting just to suck without milk coming. Ofcourse there is no way I can provide that!
She doesn't take a pacifier (we tried several brands and types) and only sometimes accepts my pinkie, but not always.
So when she wants to comfort-suck and the milk comes, she gets all fussy and goes into an endless cycle of trying to suck-spit up-cry unconsolably. In the end, all we can do is rock her to sleep, which can take up to an hour!
Anyone experienced such a thing or have any advice?
I am so sad to see her like that and am afraid my milk supply will decrease because of the stress :(
Thanks in advance...

Sounds quite normal to me to be honest. Could be wind - try keeping her upright after a feed and make sure everytime she comes off you sit her upright and get any wind up. Your supply will be fine - life is stressful, but babies have been breastfed through war, famine, disease. A little bit of fussing making you anxious won't do any harm to your supply. Keep hydrated and make sure she's draining your breasts, and if she's gaining weight then all is fine :)

No help unfortunately, but as for wanting to sick but not wanting the milk, my 3 month old still does this! Xx

My LO drives me nuts doing this. I'm finding that quite often he's doing it because he's tired. It's like he's had enough to eat and wants to comfort suck while he falls asleep but he ends up getting more milk when he's not hungry, so he gets upset/throws up/both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->