Confused about blood sugar numbers

chibimyuutsu

Reaction score
So I failed two readings on my three hour glucose tolerance test. They gave me a diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes.

There were some issues before the test. I was up until 5 am, having a severe argument that lasted all night. I fasted for 14 hours instead of 8. I had neglected to eat any carbs the day before, and had a chromium deficiency from neglecting prenatals for a couple months.

I went to a class for GD and got my glucose meter. Following their recommendations in diet gave me low readings, and made me feel like I was starving. So I began eating normally again, and felt much better. My average blood glucose for this month is 93 mg/dL.

Eating normally gives me healthy blood glucose readings for a non-diabetic. I am sedentary and don't exercise for the most part.

Out of confusion and curiosity, I drank a regular pepsi (much to my dismay, because HFCS makes me sick to my stomach), and tested after 45 minutes, one, and two hours. My results: 114mg/dL, 102mg/dL, and 98 mg/dL respectively.

Researching further suggested I eat a cup of white rice for dinner, and test after that. I ate two cups of cooked white rice, and tested after 45 minutes, 118 mg/dL. After an hour, 101 mg/dL.

So...what gives? Faulty meter? Or botched test?

Out of interest, what did they say your reading was for the glucose tolerance test?
I have to say that if I drank a regular pepsi or anything like that my readings would go through the roof!
(Saying that, I'm T2 diabetic so I don't know if it affects the body differently if it's GD?)

My advice is to make a note somewhere (I use an app on my phone) of your levels and what you eat through the day and test like this (if you don't already):

• First thing in the morning, before getting up
  • Two hours after breakfast
  • Before lunch
  • Two hours after lunch
  • Before dinner
  • Two hours after dinner
  • Before bed

I'd ask them to re-do it and this time only fast for the 8-10 hours beforehand - which is the recommended time for a glucose tolerance test, so my doctor tells me anyway.

Hope this helps a bit, but feel free to shoot me a message or anything if you need help, etc...

Well, as a true gestational diabetic, I can assure you that a Pepsi would shoot my sugars up into the 200's at least. Yours are very non-diabetic numbers. I would talk to you doctor, and tell her about your experiment. Hopefully they will redo it for you and if you don't have GD you can get your diagnosis revoked. They treat GD pregnancies very differently towards the end, and you don't want to end up induced or have a c-section for no reason.

I agree with Just ^^
Those do sound like low numbers for a gestational diabetic. I would talk to your Dr about it, but continue to check your levels in the meantime just in case. My first pregnancy was managed as a GD pregnancy though I only failed my one hour test by 0.1 and passed the other two (the one hour was taken after only 30 mins). I had very stable numbers during my pregnancy. My DD was induced weighing 6lb 6ozs. I've passed two GTTs so far in this pregnancy too. You don't want to be managed as a diabetic in pregnancy if you don't need to be - but also remember that you don't loose your voice either, if you stay 'diabetic' and don't want to be induced when the time comes tell them, you have a say too!

I had very similar results to you in my first pregnancy. I was diagnosed with GD after a 2hour test when my reading was just on the number that diagnoses you - but following the test nothing I ate or drank pushed my blood sugar readings high (and when I tried following the diet I was given my readings were very very low). Think it was just glucose on an empty stomach that caused me problems. After about 6weeks my Drs were happy to view me as not having GD and I just had to check my blood sugars a couple of times/week and go back if they started to rise.

Now waiting to see what happens this time around as I had my 2hour test done yesterday...

I am just a type 2 diabetic, but I know stress has a BIG effect on my blood sugar tests. I can eat the same thing day after day with good numbers, but then have an anxiety attack and my numbers jump up significantly. At first I couldn't figure out why my numbers would jump up so high at random times when my diet was the same day to day. Then I discovered the link between stress and high numbers.

That being said, stress doesn't really cause issues with blood sugar for non-diabetics. BUT, I wouldn't think it would be a stretch that it could have effected your glucose tolerance tests. Especially if you were up all night in an argument.

However, if they have only been suggesting a controlled diet to manage it thus far, then it's probably not a big deal to have the diagnosis. If anything, it means they'll monitor you and baby closer! Now if they put you on metformin or insulin and you aren't truly having an issue, that's a completely different story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->