Confused about follow on milk

fairydust87

Mummy & Noah <3
Reaction score
My LO drinks Hipp Organic first baby milk. He is nearly 7 months and was wondering if I should switch him to the follow on milk. Research shows there's not a lot of difference between the too and is just a con.

What are your thoughts? Should I switch? Thanks x

I will share our thinking behind switching ds to Follow On milk.... We switched, because there is (apparently) a slight increase in the amount of iron in Follow On milk, which is needed for development and after 6 months of feeling guilty about having to not be able to breastfeed, we may as well get some Tesco/Nectar points for the milk we're buying.

I switched for similar reasons (and the fact Tesco quite often go out of stock on the previous stage ones and it's annoying having to go BACK out there to get it after the weekly shop and invariably coming out with another twenty quid's worth of stuff)... even though it's invented to get round the no advertising formula for under 6 monthers rules yadda yadda yadda.

Some people have said they've had issues with constipation or whatever swapping between types - we had no problems.

I think once LO is 6 months I'll be switching to the follow on because of the increase in iron, I know it's only a slight increase, but still.

I switched when she was on three consistent "meals" (even if they were small portions of puree) a day from what I recall (but she took to weaning incredibly fast - daddy's little girl in that regard!)

Our hv said it was really necessary. She said at 12 months she'd recommend it as opposed to cows milk but theres really not much difference. She warned that alot of babies just end up constipated and people change back. I was undecided but aptamil follow on is a couple of pound cheaper than the comfort milk that were using so i tried her on it and ended up moving back because she was constipated :( if ur lo takes to it thats great but its whetheru want to risk changing when theres not much difference x

I have the opposite point of view - I think that follow on only exists to get round the advertising rules. There is far more iron in follow on than a baby can use in any case and also at that age they can get iron from their solids. Stage one milk is easier to digest and it is not necessary to move on from stage one milk until your baby doesn't have formula any more.

It is true that it is very unlikely most of the extra iron will be absorbed. Iron is much better absorbed from food than synthetic supplements and formula so there is no need to worry about a lack of iron in first milk. Iron in food alongside first milk is just fine.
I have nothing against follow on, it's personal choice but please don't think baby needs the iron as most of it will just come straight out the other end again (or not and cause constipation in some babies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->