confused at 46

what4

Reaction score
Hi - I am 46 and wouldn't exactly say my husband and I are 'trying to conceive' but a couple of months ago we 'stopped stopping it' if you see what I mean and decided as the odds were so low at my age then if it happened it happened, if not then fine, we have grandchildren (on my husbands side, I have no children we only got married a couple of years ago)and a nice life anyway. Just to put that in context - I am not the phantom pregnancy type and have not been trying for years or anything!

In Dec we had unprotected sex midmonth ish. My period was due 24th and hadn't come by 29th so I tested and got a faint positive much to my amazement. next day started to bleed and that lasted 2 days, quite light, no pain at all, not like my normal periods are (heavy and long and painful) so tested again and was negative. Put it down to either false positive or chemical pregnancy. Then I got terrible pelvic pain, after the bleeding, so bad that I could hardly walk, couldn't walk up stairs and turning over in bed was impossible. Then I started to feel sick. Thought it must be the painkillers I was taking so stopped but sickness continued, not bad just background queezy. Eventually went to doctor and she said my back was fine, after making me touch my toes, but did a urine test just in case and it was of course negative. Back pain eased but continued, and I was very tired, and just felt different. Wanted a definite answer so paid for a blood test which came back negative. Then my next period came, on time or even a bit earlier, again not like my normal period, medium flow and only for 3 days and no pain at all. Then the bleeding stopped and the pelvic pain came back, this time down my right leg and in my groin too. No sickness this time and my enormously painful boobs had gone with the period too. Then started to get twinges, not painful but just twinges in my abdomen, and noticed the veins were more prominent there and on my back and upper thigh where the goin pain was. Then the tiredness got worse and then I got this awful catarrh and taste in my throat which got worse during the course of the day, and in the evening it was all over my mouth like an acidy taste, which went away when I ate but then came back, that and the mucus was making me gag. Went back to doctor and she gave me ibuprofen gel for muscle ache. I insisted it was more than a bit of back ache and she did an internal examination but said she couldn't feel much because of the 'extra flesh on my belly' (I am overweight by a couple of stone and most of that does sit on my stomach, but i'm not HUGE) but she said I was fine. Had a smear test and my cervix was hard to find but in the end she got it but results wont be back for 6 weeks.My file said 'normal, no further action' I insisted this was not normal. In the end the doctor said I was probably peri-menopausal and to come back in 6 months and anyway the chances of me having a 'normal' baby at my age were almost non existent. So I came away again feeling like a bit of an idiot, or a 17 year old! And here I sit, feeling like my period is about to start, not being able to swallow due to awful mucus and feeling yukky with the nasty taste in my mouth. I am sleeping about 20 hours a day, and I just know something is not as it normally is. Can I have a 2-3 day period for 2 months, negative tests and still be pregnant??? If I am I could be either 11 or 6 weeks by now, I really need to know, but all I can do is wait! Another negative test this morning but have been up 2 hours and need to sleep again, bunged up with mucus in the throat and mouth tastes awful no matter how many times I clean my teeth. My biggest trousers dont' fit me any more as I am so bloated and I keep going to the toilet to check if another period has started as the feeling is so similar to that it's unreal. Even though I stopped bleeding last week. My boobs are normal and I have no more sickness apart from the slight gagging when I try to clear my throat. My boobs are also not tender. Maybe I am peri-menopausal with the flu!

Or maybe my 46th year has turned me crazy, cetainly feels like it.
Any ideas or comments and suggestions most welcome!

Oh also I forgot to say, I have headaches almost every day now, hardly ever get headaches but almost constantly have one now, hardly goes away. Also, I keep smelling rotten eggs in things, a bottle of orange squash smelt like sulphur, my cats breath smelt really bad from several feet away, and some beef I had the other day tasted so much like liver that I got the packet out of the bin to check I hadn't cooked the wrong meat. Also yesterday I had a very strong urge for peanuts, and then I had to have peanut butter - why would I need more sodium? That sounds like it would be a bad thing in pregnancy. Anyway, as I say, not necessarly pregnancy related but all added evidence to me not being my normal self lately..

You should get a blood test if you suspect you are pregnant! That is the only real way to determine if you are pregnant. Sometimes our minds play tricks on us and give us pregnancy symptoms and we are not pregnant... Good luck.. Oh also my grandmother had a baby at 46 and other ladies had babies at 46 so it could happen..

Hey What4,

It sure sounds like something is up!! I would go for another blood test. I've certainly heard of strange stories that turn out positive. Either way your symptoms sound intense and certainly hormonally related. At 45 I can appreciate the feelings of wondering "is this peri-menopause"?

Good luck hun and keep us updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->