Constipation help!

NovaStar

Daughter, 2 years old
Reaction score
Ok ladies, sorry for the tmi but I’m so constipated and I haven’t really figured out how to deal. I’ve taken milk of magnesia without much difference and it makes me feel crampy without any real outcome. This is not fun! Any tried and true remedies or do I just suffer through it until this stage is over?

I've tried all sorts of diet changes with some success, but Miralax has been the absolute best help for me.

I had the same thing during 2nd tri - what helped best was trying to remember to drink lots of water, kiwis and oranges helped a ton (I had one of each every night) and then when the going got tough I took Colace which is a pregnancy safe stool softener. That really gets things moving.

I was told to try Fleet suppositories as they are completely safe during pregnancy. They worked in about 10 minutes or so. You can get them at walmart or any drugstore really.

A can of prune juice before bed helps me. When I was snacking on carrots/hummus every day it would also help things move along. (especially when I overdid it)

I had issues from the iron in my prenatal vitamins with my last three pregnancies (not this time as I'm not taking iron). Colace works great, but I found being hydrated and eating lots of greens probably helped the best.

I should add that regular exercise, definitely something that includes your core like walking or running really helps to stimulate your bowels for regularity too.

With DS, I did absolutely everything I was supposed to, and my midwife finally told me to just go ahead and drink a cup of coffee in the morning because it was the only thing that did the trick. :haha:

This time, nothing is working, but I'm also having a really difficult time staying hydrated because of HG.

Oh my goodness, thanks ladies! I’m going to make a list and work my way through it to see what works. I’m so over this, haha! I’ve never wanted to poop so badly, lol! Oh pregnancy.

Do you drink coffee? I have one cup every morning this pregnancy (fourth pregnancy syndrome :haha:) and I'm quite convinced it's why I've been so regular this go around.

I second the suggestion on stool softeners! (Colace) Totally safe in pregnancy. I usually end up taking one once or twice a week to get things moving.

I take the maximum dosage (3x/day) and I can still barely poop, just a few rabbit pellets once or twice a week. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->