Consultant appointment in the morning-advice

Katie Mc

Reaction score
Hi ladies im 36 weeks pregnant with number 3, we want to have a homebirth and spoke to the midwife in the hospital 2 weeks a go about it. This wasnt my regular midwife, I was just having a anti D injection. We told her our plans and she wants us to see a consultant tomorrow to get the go ahead. She said the only thing going against us is that I had retained products with my 2nd child. This wasnt found until 2 weeks after birth when I had a big bleed, I had a D+C and then all was fine. My son also pooed inside as well just before I gave birth.
My community midwife is the one who suggested I have a homebirth and will be seeing her in the morning before we go the hospital.

Anyway what do you reckon my chances are of the consultant saying yes to a homebirth. I know I don't have to take his advice but I know I will end up doing what he thinks best for baby.

I don't see any of that as being a contraindication to having a homebirth.

Having retained products and the associated bleeding was an isolated event and the chance of it repeating itself is the same as it is for anyone and the fact that it has already happened to you does not increase the chances of it reoccuring.... It you bled too much because your uterus just wasn't contracting properly for no good reason at all... well that would be a different story....

Then in terms of the meconium. Having one baby with mec does not at all indicate that you are more likely to have another one with meconium. So that too should not influence homebirth plans... Though if it were to happen again it would likely be suggested that you transfer to hospital for further monitoring during labour.

Thankyou I was told it doesn't mean it will happen again, we really want .this so I cant see there being any problems then.

Hi had my appointment and ive had the go ahead. The consultant couldnt believe the midwife had sent me to him, he said I am low risk and my D+C is nothing to worry about.

So im back to my community midwife on monday to let her know we have the go a head and to arrange delivery of the birthing equipment. Im so excited now just hoping I dont go to far over like I did with my 2 children.

Great news glad to hear of a sensible and supportive consultant! This would have been me on monday though for different reasons (a thyroid problem I have never had!!) so would have been a waste of both my time and the consultant so spoke to the team leader today (my regular mw) and she agreed with me and cancelled it! so they are dropping off the kit next friday! hope I don't go before then am 37 weeks on weds, in fact I've just noticied we are due the same day :happydance:

Great news glad to hear of a sensible and supportive consultant! This would have been me on monday though for different reasons (a thyroid problem I have never had!!) so would have been a waste of both my time and the consultant so spoke to the team leader today (my regular mw) and she agreed with me and cancelled it! so they are dropping off the kit next friday! hope I don't go before then am 37 weeks on weds, in fact I've just noticied we are due the same day :happydance:

Yea to the same due date :happydance::happydance:. we are nearly at the finishing line. Is this your 1st?

No my 2nd dd is 5 had her in hospital with epidural (I didn't know any better then ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->