Continuous Bleeding on Depo Provera

ShelbyLC

Twin girls & baby boy!
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this question. I'm really sorry if it isn't!

A bit of background: my twins were born November 25, 2012. I bled for about 1.5 weeks and then it turned to light spotting, mostly brown. December 25 I got my first pp period. December 27 I had a Mirena put in. Absolutely hated the Mirena, I was in pain and bled for 3 weeks straight, so I had it removed middle of January and started the depo shot.

I got my first Depo period on February 13. It lasted almost 3 weeks. Second Depo period began March 11. I haven't stopped bleeding since then. I had 2 days of no bleeding about 1.5 weeks into my "period" but it picked right back up. Both Depo periods were pretty light, usually pink, sometimes red, sometimes brown. I'm due for my next shot April 16 and I'm nervous.

My question: I've heard mixed stories about the Depo shot. Some people say their periods stop, it just takes a bit of time. Some say they bleed for the entire time they're on the shot. What's likely to happen to me?

Has anyone been on Depo and bled as I have, and had their periods eventually go away? Or am I likely to continue bleeding as I have been? I've been planning on giving the second shot a chance and hoping the bleeding stops before shot #3, but I don't want to bleed for the next 3 months!

Any advice? Success stories? I'll even take bad news, I just want some answers! :wacko:

with me i had the first one and by the end of it i was screaming for them to put me on something else! i bled entirely for 3 months non stop, not a day of nothing! and it was full flow for that 3 months!

I bled for a year straight. I kept thinking,"maybe this shot it will stop."
Nope, 4 shots, and 50lbs later I was still bleeding. I had to go on the pill to stop the bleeding, and the 50lbs fell off.

I had this for ages and it was turning me into the bitch from hell as well... So I stopped it and it took ages for my real period to come back as well. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

I'm on it right now (this one wears off in May) so I'm hoping to switch to the minipill next. I sometimes get periods that last about a month - so bloody annoying. Is there anything else you could try? Be sure to tell the professional who gives you your depo of your bleeding.

Thank you, ladies. I guess I will try the mini-pill next. I've been trying to avoid pills because I'm awful at remembering to take them at the same time every day, but I guess I'll have to set an alarm and just deal with it if I want normal periods! :flower:

depo is very very bad. multiple health issues not to mention that on the labels it even says use should not be longer than 2 years! not that doctors ever tell you this. not to mention if you want children again it is a long and painful struggle. im 2 years off of depo and have been bleeding twice a month

oh blimey, i was thinking of getting this :( is the implant any better?

I had to sign a form stating after 2 years they wouldnt give me anymore shots. that should of been my red flag right there.

i had the same question!! i had 2 shots before i bled fora long time.. last shot i had was in december and ive been bleeding ever since... last month i didnt even go back to get my shot and still bleeding!!! is it possible to get pregnant and still be bleeding?because bleeding means no ovulation right??

I'm on Depo for medical reasons (endometriosis) & I had my first jab end of Feb & haven't bled since. Everyone is different but I agree with others, if you're bleeding for that long & you're not happy with it, try the mini pill x

This is my story. A few years ago, I was on depo and I had no bleeding until months after the last shot ended. This year I got two depo shots, one in early May and another one at the end of August. I started spotting in mid-july, that lasted three weeks. Then I had severe bleeding for three weeks so bad that not even bc pills could have stopped it. I had to get depo again to stop it, according to the docs. Today, seven weeks after I got the last shot, I started having red spotting, meaning that bleeding is going to happen again. I can't take the pill anymore due to me being on blood pressure pills and the fear that I may have a stroke.(My blood pressure is under control, btw. I also have other medical issues, but they are more or less under control as well). I am going off depo after this and I really do think that the shot should be outlawed. As far as future bc goes, I have been on birth control almost continuously for the last 12 to 13 years, so I have decided to discontinue it altogether for the forseeable future. I am 34 years old and my husband of a year and I are seriously talking about having a child and there's not much time on my fertility left. I am seeing the internist on tuesday to talk to her and I am going to be in contact with the other doctors as well. I don't feel comfortable continuing on this birth control shot.

I'm not even on the depo anymore and I'm still bleeding from it! About 4 Weeks into the injection I started bleeding. It ran out on 30th July and I'm still bleeding. I stopped for a couple of days the other day but it's started again now, that was the only time it has stopped. went to the doctors but they all just act like I'm mad/stupid, say it's my fault for coming off the injection (who wood put up with that?!) Etc.

Personally I think it should be highly illegal to administer depo to anyone. They also all seem to refuse to acknowledge that continuous bleeding can occur.

So this is a lot and I’m kinda nervous. I haven’t been on birth control in like 14 years. I have tried several different kinds of BC in the past. I have been on multiple different BCPs as well as the depo shot, and they all had the same affect, continious bleeding. While on the BCPS I would bleed for about 2 months with each one before I’d quit taking them. On the depo I did great the 1st & 2nd shots! I thought I had finally found something that worked for me. I only had my period every 3 months at first. I actually started loosing weight like almost 40 pounds! Crazy right after all the horror stories I heard about weight gain. But then I got my 3rd shot and it happened I bled every single day for the 3 months the shot lasted and an additional 3 months after, except for maybe 24 hours here or there. (I did not go back and get the 4th shot) 6 months of constant bleeding. I guess I could say it was doing it’s job because I definitely wasn’t getting any lol. Anyways I started loosing to much blood and feeling sick so I went to the doctor, they said something about having a hormonal imbalance and they put me on a pill and told me as soon as I stopped bleeding, to quit taking the pill. I refused to try anything else. Then around 6 years ago after having my son I decided I would try the pill again. Yet again the bleeding started, needles to say I quit taking it. I gave up! Well now here it is present day and after a few years of not being sexually active, I have finally met someone! I’m not trying to get pregnant and condoms aren’t always garenteed so I am looking to try again! If you have had any similar issues happen to you or if you have any suggestions on what to do or take, or if you may have information on any non hormonal birth control options, please let me know! Please share your experience with the different types of BC you may have used! Thank y’all in advance!

depo is very very bad. multiple health issues not to mention that on the labels it even says use should not be longer than 2 years! not that doctors ever tell you this. not to mention if you want children again it is a long and painful struggle. im 2 years off of depo and have been bleeding twice a month

I was on deep for 7 years. I came off it and was pregnant on my third cycle. It doesn't sound like it is ideal for the OP but it's certainly not "very bad" for everyone.

OP have you thought about the copper coil as the depo and mini-pill have higher levels of hormone than the Mirena, so if Mirena didn't suit they might not either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->