Contraceptive Injection may Double Risk of HIV

Lightworker

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/04/health/04hiv.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all?src=tp&smid=fb-share

My friend shared this link with me on FB. The article speaks mainly of African women as they were studying the impact of the pill on HIV transmission, but this effect can impact all women, not just Africans.

What do you think?

I have always said I am not a fan of hormonal contraception because my body reacts in a way telling me it doesn't like it (weight gain, spots, irritability etc)..anyway, the injection is Depo Provera, from my understanding (I may be wrong) this is the type of injection used in the UK as well.

What are your thoughts on hormonal contraception?

x

I have never used hormonal contraception and probably never will. I think contraceptive measures are much safer, more effective, and more easily reversible in males, so the fact that it is almost all focused on females speaks volumes to me about the way we regard women in our society. (Why spend all the resources time and focus on controlling a way more complex system that is internal, as opposed to an easily accessible external system that can be "neutralized" by something as simple as increased temperature? Why is it women's bodies that need to be controlled and changed?)
Also, Depo Provera has some very shady beginnings. When I was doing my undergrad degree (almost 20 years ago! yikes!), we had a case study on how Depo Provera was tested on women in developing countries, and how they were forced to continue with the study, even when their bodies were not reacting favourably to the injection. I will see if I can find a link somewhere about this, but that case study was shocking to me and has never made me particularly favourably disposed towards that particular drug.

In terms of common sense, of course your risk of HIV transmission will increase if you are not using a barrier method of contraception. It is one of the reasons I was never interested in the Pill for myself. There is absolutely no protection from STDs with hormonal methods. :shrug: The only thing you are protected against is unwanted pregnancy, and sorry, but at least that scenario gives you a choice. You don't get to choose not to have HIV or herpes once it's there.

Sorry, just read your link after my initial rant! :)
Scary.
I know condoms are not the answer in many situations, even though they are the best defence against HIV.
I shudder to think how many well-meaning women just suffered the worst possible news after opting for depo provera. To be fair, is there any way that anyone could have predicted or tested for this outcome? I honestly don't know.

I think the problems run much deeper than preventing pregnancy. I think there needs to be a new level of education and society change in order to prevent the spread of HIV.

My understanding (limited) of the research is that the injection alters the biological make-up of your cells, thereby pre-disposing you to easier transmission of the virus.

I know hormonal contraception is not meant to do anything for STDs, but according to the article...if you take 2 women, one on the injection, and one who is not using hormonal contraception, and expose them both to HIV, the one on the injection is twice as likely to contract HIV.

Sarahaka, I liked your observation on how the focus is usually on women when it comes to contraception. That is so true. x

I think it is because when someone is on birth control pills, they don't take condoms seriously as they should. Even when they are in a long term relationship, they are not always faithful.

My understanding (limited) of the research is that the injection alters the biological make-up of your cells, thereby pre-disposing you to easier transmission of the virus.

I know hormonal contraception is not meant to do anything for STDs, but according to the article...if you take 2 women, one on the injection, and one who is not using hormonal contraception, and expose them both to HIV, the one on the injection is twice as likely to contract HIV.

Sarahaka, I liked your observation on how the focus is usually on women when it comes to contraception. That is so true. x

interesting. I never cared too much for the pills which is I chose copper IUD.

This could be the key to finding a better treatment for STD/HIV

Just a thought but could the findings be affected by the women on contraception having sex more often, therefore increasing the chances of transmission? Those who weren't on contraception might have had sex less frequently or at different times of month to try and minimise the chances of pregnancy.

I have never used hormonal contraception and probably never will. I think contraceptive measures are much safer, more effective, and more easily reversible in males, so the fact that it is almost all focused on females speaks volumes to me about the way we regard women in our society. (Why spend all the resources time and focus on controlling a way more complex system that is internal, as opposed to an easily accessible external system that can be "neutralized" by something as simple as increased temperature? Why is it women's bodies that need to be controlled and changed?)
Also, Depo Provera has some very shady beginnings. When I was doing my undergrad degree (almost 20 years ago! yikes!), we had a case study on how Depo Provera was tested on women in developing countries, and how they were forced to continue with the study, even when their bodies were not reacting favourably to the injection. I will see if I can find a link somewhere about this, but that case study was shocking to me and has never made me
particularly favourably disposed towards that particular drug.

In terms of common sense, of course your risk of HIV transmission will
increase if you are not using a barrier method of contraception. It is one of the reasons I was never interested in the Pill for myself. There is absolutely no protection from STDs with hormonal methods. :shrug: The only thing you
are protected against is unwanted pregnancy, and sorry, but at least that scenario gives you a choice. You don't get to choose not to have HIV or
herpes once it's there.

I understand your point but I don't really think herpes needs to be mentioned in this, I have herpes and it's no worse than getting a cold sore on your bits sometimes it's not really comparable to aids/HIV

I'll admit, this is SCARY. I was on depo for six years through college, and I will be the first to admit I was not as careful as I should have been...it really does give you an inflated sense of safety, and when you assume you know the people you are sleeping with--well it just opens you up to all sorts of trouble. I can fortunately say that I came out of the situation disease free, unlike many other people.

What finally caused me to stop depo was a report years ago linking long term use of depo with female organ cancers, and also it affecting fertility.

Also, Depo Provera has some very shady beginnings. When I was doing my undergrad degree (almost 20 years ago! yikes!), we had a case study on how Depo Provera was tested on women in developing countries, and how they were forced to continue with the study, even when their bodies were not reacting favourably to the injection. I will see if I can find a link somewhere about this, but that case study was shocking to me and has never made me
particularly favourably disposed towards that particular drug.

In terms of common sense, of course your risk of HIV transmission will
increase if you are not using a barrier method of contraception. It is one of the reasons I was never interested in the Pill for myself. There is absolutely no protection from STDs with hormonal methods. :shrug: The only thing you
are protected against is unwanted pregnancy, and sorry, but at least that scenario gives you a choice. You don't get to choose not to have HIV or
herpes once it's there.

I understand your point but I don't really think herpes needs to be mentioned in this, I have herpes and it's no worse than getting a cold sore on your bits sometimes it's not really comparable to aids/HIV

I meant that it is an STD that you can't get rid of once it's there. But yes, I agree - it may be unpleasant, but it's not terminal. Very different category.

Just a thought but could the findings be affected by the women on contraception having sex more often, therefore increasing the chances of transmission? Those who weren't on contraception might have had sex less frequently or at different times of month to try and minimise the chances of pregnancy.

Except that they are saying in the article that the contraception was biologically making them more susceptible to infection?
I would be inclined to think like you - it could be explained by behaviour and a false sense of security, but this research is suggesting that it's beyond that.
And while I'm not a fan of depo, as I stated in an earlier post, I don;t know that anyone could have foreseen that. I don't know if anyone is to blame, really. More just a sense of dismay that something that was supposed to help women have some control over their bodies and number of births has instead made them more susceptible to HIV transmission, :( Really really sad.

Except that they are saying in the article that the contraception was biologically making them more susceptible to infection?
I would be inclined to think like you - it could be explained by behaviour and a false sense of security, but this research is suggesting that it's beyond that.
And while I'm not a fan of depo, as I stated in an earlier post, I don;t know that anyone could have foreseen that. I don't know if anyone is to blame, really. More just a sense of dismay that something that was supposed to help women have some control over their bodies and number of births has instead made them more susceptible to HIV transmission, :( Really really sad.

Ah I missed the second page of the article. :dohh:

The Faulty Birth-Control-HIV Link
Oct 6, 2011 12:21 PM EDT
A new study says that African women using birth-control shots have a higher risk of contracting and passing on HIV. Why the research may be wrong.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/artic...-hiv-infection-in-africa-has-faulty-data.html

hmm, that 2nd article didn't address the higher presence of HIV virus in the woman's vaginal fluids for those on hormonal birth control... that did seem to be significant.
But yes, they should never run around and issue drastic warnings or change policy until a study has repeated the findings.

The 2nd article was also talking about the woman's risk of CONTRACTING it I think, and the study was focused on spreading it if the woman was already infected? Or am I misunderstanding what I'm reading?

^ its both I think. The risk of females contracting it from HIV+ males, and then the risk of the male contracting it from HIV+ women.

I have no real basis to be dubious about the 2nd article but I agree they didn't appear to address the differences in the vaginal fluid.

Again though, I have to say (perhaps slightly biased given my views on hormonal contraception) but at the end of the day, I am sure the manufacturers will do their best to downplay any negative effects. In the 2nd article they talk about relatively low risk..I wouldn't call double relatively low. Plus as usual, I question the motives of pharmaceuticals operating in the developing world.

One thing though that I think is crucial to note is that it applies to all women, not just African women. Thats scary for me.

I agree with everything you just said :)

Interesting! When I first went on contraception I was discussing all of my options and my gp said that the injection is the last thing he would suggest and would only suggest it if all other options have been exhausted. He was really not a fan of it

Interesting! When I first went on contraception I was discussing all of my options and my gp said that the injection is the last thing he would suggest and would only suggest it if all other options have been exhausted. He was really not a fan of it

There are a lot of doctors in my area that aren't very keen on depo either. I think it has to do with how it's a one-time dose and also how strongly it can affect some women's hormonal balances. My sister took it once, and it took her body a long time to get back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->