Cookery books

noon_child

Reaction score
Im gonna post this in Weaning section too but it is folder kids related.

My DD has just started school and I'm struggling to think what we will do after I pick her up that will be quality time (and not just necessary chores) but also not too "treat" like. Waiting list for swimming lessons is full city wide and all the sports clubs start too late for her (her bedtime is still 7pm).

Sooooooo I thought that a duple of times a week she could pick something from a cook book and we'd buy the ingredients and cook it together for her supper. Thing is most of my cook books are dinner party type food and I don't want to be buying truffle oil and trying to flambé something with a four year old at my elbow! So have any of you got suggestions for any cook books with nice varied and exciting recipes but not too complex (or dangerous) or time consuming in terms of prep? I used to have a kids cook book when I was small so I guess these things still exist, but I don't want to buy one and be too disappointed/frustrated.

Any recommendations?

I don't have any recommations I'm afraid but could you take your lo to the book shop or the library and let her help you choose a book for the first 'treat'?

I do cooking with my DD and she likes thing that she can stir and add - her favourites are lasagna (she loves making the cheese sauce), a chicken gumbo/risotto (lots of stirring again, shepherds pie where she can stir and mash

the bbc food website https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/kids-cooking has some good stuff

I love 'The River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook'. Despite the title, it's still super useful for school aged children and has so much extra information (such as the best time to buy fruit and vegetables throughout the year, and what age you can expect them to be able to handle certain areas of food prep). 'My Daddy Cooks' is one of my favourites too, and he also has a blog that has a tonne of recipes that would be awesome to put together with the help of LO. I noticed Ella's Kitchen released a cookbook recently, although I haven't picked it up yet.

My DS likes to look through pint rest. I've set him up a board of his own and he will pick and add what he likes the look of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->