cooking with kids

MummyMana

Reaction score
Ok Im not sure is this is the right section for this question, bulbs have a 21 month old who is a bit of a non-eater, I've been trying various different things and basically tearing my hair out!

Anyway we do baking, making cakes and cookies, and today we had a go at making pizza, she really enjoyed the process, wouldn't eat the pizza, but tasted the sauce/herbs, was wondering if anyone had any safe and simple recipes she could join in with, particularly thongs where she can try bits as she makes it :)

what about egg muffins. Bits of veg chopped up and put into muffin tray with egg poured over. Or savoury muffins?

My daughter has been helping in the kitchen since she's been big enough to stand on a chair at the counter, and usually she just joins in with whatever I'm making. I can pretty much always find something she can do in a recipe that's safe. That said some of our biggest successes:

Samosas - use leftover veg (or canned veggies so they're already soft). Chop them up - a blunt butter knife will do it so she can have a go. Mix with a teaspoon of mild curry powder and a tablespoon or two of natural yoghurt. Brush filo pastry with melted butter or oil so you have two or three sheets layered on top of each other with oil underneath (you might wanna do this in advance because it splits easily). Then dollop in your veg mixture, roll/fold it into parcels, brush with milk and bake until golden brown.

Falafel - canned chickpeas or white beans mashed up with spices (I'll let you google because there are millions of variations), onions which you can pre-chop, and if you like any leftover mashed veg you have. Roll into balls with some flour if it's too sticky, spray or brush with oil and bake. This was a big hit because she thought the potato masher was super fun.

Toad in the hole - I pre cook some sausages and let her chop them with a blunt knife. She helps me brush oil into foil trays and add the sausage bits then we whip up a quick batter and bake it in a hot oven, she LOVES how big and puffy it gets.

And of course any sort of salad will do the job if you chop ahead of time. She can wash and mix and pour dressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->